• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

i used to just remember the page i was on or try and find the last passage i read when i picked the book up again. now however, i used a bookmark that has pictures of Will Ferrell as the elf in the movie "Elf." The way I saw the bookmark at the store, it was stupid enough for me to think it was funny and it only cost me like 37 cents. a couple of days ago, i bound it in masking tape so i wouldnt have to see Ferrells crazy-ass face again!! it has worked fine ever since.

I use Tarot cards. Usually the tarot decks always have an extra card, and that's what I use.

Dharma

I tend to get bookmarks as stocking gifts for Christmas! But inevitably they end up lost. I don't fold the pages because I *hate* to ruin my books! I like them to look new and perfect. (Anal, perhaps.) I often use the receipt from the purchase, or I just remember what page I was on. Usually I don't go too long after putting the book down before I pick it up again, so it's not hard to remember!

I Love Bookmarks <3.
But I Tend to lose 'em. lool * I Currently Bought A New One *
I Don't Fold Pages. I Never did.
I Just Memorize the Page Number.

I Love Bookmarks <3.
But I Tend to lose 'em. lool * I Currently Bought A New One *
I Don't Fold Pages. I Never did.
I Just Memorize the Page Number.

I don't fold either, but to memorize the page number, that is impossible for me. I rather look for the last page I read... :p

How Do You Feel About Bookmarks?

The other day I was sitting and reading whilst playing with my bookmark which happened to be a pen and started to wonder what you guys use as bookmarks.
I mean, you can use anything from silver and gold bookmarks to old receipts [my favorites besides traintickets], so I began to wonder what you have between the pages.

So to simplify the question a bit; have you bought your bookmark or do you just use random pieces of paper or something else?
Also this sound like a weird question but how do you feel about your bookmarks?
Some of my friends would never use for instance an old receipt as a bookmark since they think that it's not somehow 'worthy' of the book. I, on the other hand, am way too forgetful so even if I do buy a bookmark I'll most likely lose it before the end of the week.
And anyway I don't really think the receipts I use are too unworthy for my books.

But what's your opinion?

Don't buy book marks

So to simplify the question a bit; have you bought your bookmark or do you just use random pieces of paper or something else?
I use book marks and have a good variety, but I never buy them. (Well, once I did. I bought an Emily Bronte bookmark when I visited the Bronte home in Haworth, but then I didn't use it because it was so perfect.)

I collect book marks as I visit the usual haunts of people of who like books. Our local libraries and book stores are eager to give me their book marks, nicely imprinted with advertising and even useful information like when they are open. Various civic organizations find they are good give-aways for keeping their name before the public.

Second best are those miserable cards that drip out of magazines. Their one justification for existence is to become a book mark.

I use bookmarks. I don't like dog-earing pages and I can never remember on what page I stopped. My last bookmark was a business card that a salesperson gave me while I was waiting on the bimmer.

I dislike the same thing.
I do like the fact that the books I read look like they've been read but I just hate the idea of dog-ears.
Somehow it's just too much :|

I usually use free bookmarks I get from libraries or book stores. I can't use scraps of paper, like receipts - not necessarily because I don't think they are "good enough" for a book, but more because I just don't like scraps of paper! :p

At a time before children I used nice bookmarks. But the little ones seem to always pull them out to look at. So instead of coming ungluded on thier little butts all the time. I use what ever is handy. I'm a big believer in saving the battles for something worth fighting about. Maybe in a couple of years I can break out the nice bookmarks. And pull the bookmarks out of their books. (With a maniacal laugh!!)
I also hate dog ears!

opalescent

Not only love bookmarks, I collect them. I don't usually buy them however, I usually get them at book stores and from a publisher who is kind enough to send them to me by mail...

Also I am very picky with them just as I am with my books (I get really mad if they get wrinkled:mad:).

Do you ever see promotional bookmarks at the bookstore counter (advertising new titles, authors, etc.) or slipped inside your book? If so, would you use it?

Personally, I prefer using something as a bookmark rather than folding the pages.

I used to dog-ear the pages because I couldn't ever keep track of my bookmarks. But for the last couple of years I've been using a real one - my sister gave it to me for Christmas or something. It's purple and some kind of metal with a quote by Joseph Campbell "Follow your bliss." I've managed to keep track of this one and now I'm rather fond of it.

Since I usually buy my books I use the receipt that the book came with as a bookmark. Sometimes I use whatever cash I have in my wallet and a couple of times I've used a square sheet of toilet paper.

When I fly, I use a $5 bill as a bookmark. Then when the drink cart comes through, I can get my teeny tiny bottle of gin without having to dig for my wallet.

Back