• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Third man girl, how do you control all of the note pad slips or is it a bound unit? I leave the bookmark with the book, if I own the book. I then make entries into a subject index.

I use a black crow feather for a bookmark :)

I love crows and they seem very magical creatures. Books are magical because they transport you to another time or place, and so it seems appropriate ... oh and it looks cool lol

Regards
Wabbit

I use post it notes. I read a lot on my way to and from work, on the subway, waiting for the subway etc.. so I like a bookmark that wont fall out and at the same time a bookmark I dont have to hold in my hand while reading...
Am I being difficult here...?

Susie, you did just fine. Before sticky post-its, we folded a pocket into the bookmark and placed it over a corner of a page but they could fall off.---Walter---

Originally posted by SillyWabbit

I use a black crow feather for a bookmark :)

Please tell me you don't suck your bookmark while you read! :eek:

Everytime I see a crow I think of Stephen King. I try not to, but the thought is unstoppable :D

Third Man Girl

Originally posted by Robinson Crusoe
how do you control all of the note pad slips or is it a bound unit

Sorry. I was joking :eek: I don't write notes about my books, I just read them. A pen in one hand and a book in the other would have a dangerous attraction towards each other!

What kind of notes do you write, Robinson Crusoe?

Third Man Girl

book marks-notes

Third man girl, Thank you for your comments. As I read, many thoughts come to me stimulated by what the author is projecting; special concepts, my contrary opinions, special word usage, or parts that I wish to reconsider. I liked to come away from a book with more than just a feeling about the book. I try to finish a book with enough material that I could be a facilitator at a book discussion group that would examine the book for 2 hours. In my case, I study the book rather than speed read it. I guess that comes from my engineering background and having read so many non-fiction books.---Robinson Crusoe---

Mr. Crusoe, your last post made an impression on me. Considering the time, effort, and spirit that an author invests in his work, it`s well that you appreciate it so much! There`re certainly a lot of books I rush through, that deserve more attention. Cheers! Dan-o

I don't know why but I've never used bookmarks. I usually glance at the page before putting it down. Sometimes I forget and I have to do a little hunting, but that can sometimes be a good thing as it gives me a quick refresher before I get back into reading. Especially helpful if I'm going back to it after a few days or so.

I'm very careful with the spines but it will still usually open to about where I left off in the next read.

I use the subscription cards that are always falling out of magazines. They're always around, and they're a good size for most books. I used to use smaller bookmarks, but when reading amidst blankets in bed or on the couch, I'd always misplace them.

I've never folded corners and was shocked the first time I saw someone do that. I also hate to bend a book open so far as to damage the binding.

To me, having a new book is like having a new car or anything else of value. You don't buy a new car and then back into trees, spill food all over the interior, and leave the windows down during a storm. Or do you... ?

Lately, I've had to resort to the library for my books in order to save money, so I have to deal with whatever I get.

LOL, my fiancee is just like you Mort!!

She wont let me read any of her books because apparantly i 'ruin' them by opening them too far and getting those little lines running along the spine!!

Personally, i think thats the sign of a well loved book, those lines :)

Phil

I agree with you Phil, a broken spine is often the sign of a oft-read book. And when they get to the point that the pages are falling out, it's a sign I need to buy a hardback copy.

My Grandfather died almost 20 years ago. A number of years ago my mother gave me a German-English primer of his dated 1912 and I stuck it on my shelf untouched. For some reason I got the book out today and fanned trough it. An old religious bookmark fell out of it with some of my Grandfather's writing on the back.
I'm not a very religious person but I'll always treasure my new bookmark and use it for the remainder of my days.

Bill

Originally posted by phil_t
LOL, my fiancee is just like you Mort!!

She wont let me read any of her books because apparantly i 'ruin' them by opening them too far and getting those little lines running along the spine!!

Personally, i think thats the sign of a well loved book, those lines :)

Phil

I agree with you, Phil.

Last year when I was visiting a cousin of mine, I remarked on all the new books she had sitting on her book shelf - still unread. Uncracked paperbacks.

"Oh, no" She said. "I have read them all"

To me an uncracked paperback is the sign of an unread book.

Hobitten

:cool:

Originally posted by hobitten
I agree with you, Phil.

Last year when I was visiting a cousin of mine, I remarked on all the new books she had sitting on her book shelf - still unread. Uncracked paperbacks.

"Oh, no" She said. "I have read them all"

To me an uncracked paperback is the sign of an unread book.

Hobitten

:cool:

From the other side of the fence, I'm the type with new-looking books. I will NOT lend my mother a book, because she bends them like that (quite disrespectful if the lender does not like that, in my opinion). For me, its a sign of respect to the book...you can read it just the same without enjoying it, but if you keep it in good condition, you can read it over and over and over again, unlike the bent up ones, which fall apart more quickly.

Back