• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

why did they stop putting satin ribbons in the bindings? I bought a "gift book" that has one and I wish all hardcover books had them. They're perfect-you never lose them, they don't make a dent in the book, and they're soft and you can play with them in your fingers as you read. :(

Miss Shelf said:
why did they stop putting satin ribbons in the bindings? I bought a "gift book" that has one and I wish all hardcover books had them. They're perfect-you never lose them, they don't make a dent in the book, and they're soft and you can play with them in your fingers as you read. :(

I like the ribbons, too. I only have a couple of books with them though.

A nifty little bookmark that came with my Eragon book. But before that I used basically anything I could get my hands on at the time; pieces of gum packages, receipts, quarters, plastic, paper, and a lot more unusual things.

i always seem to lose a specific bookmark. around my room/house i usually leave the book faced down on the page. i've been using post-its for months lately.. i dont like folding corners b/c they're to small to spot i guess. if i can't get a post-it, i just stick the first piece of paper i see i suppose. the last thing i used as a bookmark was my class schedule =P

haha i know what you mean about not wanting to use them.. all of my bookmarks in the past have gotten so tattered and i'd have the habit of cleaning my nails with the corners, so they'd get bent or whatnot

I have a lot of bookmarks that I've bought over the years, several free ones, and others I have made myself. Although lately I like to use my Yu-Gi-Oh trading cards as bookmarks! Hehe!

What a Good idea using trading cards as bookmarks :)
Wonder if my Son will miss one or two
:D

JMS said:
What a Good idea using trading cards as bookmarks :)
Wonder if my Son will miss one or two
:D

I did this back in high school. I used baseball cards-not of the good players of course. Usually, used the cards of the third-string catcher of the Cubs or someone like that. :D

In other news-just purchased a nice Thoreau book mark from a store. Thought of you guys in buying it. :)

I recently found a pack of nudie playing cards, and I'm using that. It's from the 70's, and there are a few hairy armpits, so I'm not all that distracted. :)

i dont like bending the corners in even tho it was a habit i picked up from my 3rd grade teacher when i was younger. i stick with post its, altho i do get kind of annoyed when they lose their sticky-ness.

those satin ribbons are convienant, even tho not surprising that they're not used anymore [cost] my cats sure like to nibble on them =P

WoundedThorns said:
those satin ribbons are convienant, even tho not surprising that they're not used anymore [cost] my cats sure like to nibble on them =P

They are still used but only in more expensive books, the kind printed in bible paper. I've seen some cheap books with ribbons, but those are printed in very coarse paper - I suppose the idea is to imitate parchment - which make the printing blurry in places. The ribbons in those are as poor as the paper. No need for a cat to unravel them.

clueless said:
They are still used but only in more expensive books, the kind printed in bible paper. I've seen some cheap books with ribbons, but those are printed in very coarse paper - I suppose the idea is to imitate parchment - which make the printing blurry in places. The ribbons in those are as poor as the paper. No need for a cat to unravel them.

hahaha...

my mom has some fancy smancy books and i think a few have ribbons. those are annoying to read.

I use a 50 Baht note from Thailand. I like it because it looks like a paper note but is actually made from plastic. It's only worth a few pennies otherwise I'd have cashed it in when I got back home. :)

What do you use for a bookmark?

Anything I can find. Jacket flaps, index cards, playing cards, paper scraps, candy wrappers, bits of string, a penny once...
Luckily I'm a pack-rat, so I always have these things laying around :)

clueless said:

Not always. Borders Publishing has a huge series of hardback books printed on nice paper, with ribbons, and they're only $20 :cool: I'm reading one right now, actually.

if the book is mine, i fold the upper corner of the page(guilty)...sometimes i use bookmarks or any piece of paper i can insert between the pages to mark where i stopped. if the book is not mine, i use a bookmark.

personally, i own a lot of bookmarks, i get some from the library, etc.but i almost never read them. i start out with a bookmark, take it out to read, go somewhere else to read, loose the bookmark, and use a scrap ofpaper. so basically i use whatever scrap of paper i can find. i'm more focused on the book.

Back