• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What shows are you watching this Fall?

Lincoln Rhyme

Most of the television networks have presented their new and returning shows for the fall,so the question is,what are you gonna watch?

My list-

1. Hell On Wheels(AMC)- The new western on AMC, featuring a cool vengeance story centered around the building of the Transcontinental Railroad. Definitely my most anticipated show. I love westerns :)

2. The Walking Dead(AMC)- This is self-explanatory.

3. Dexter(Showtime)- After what I considered to be a crappy fifth season,looks like the old-school Dexter is coming back. Bigger and badder than before.

4. Terra Nova(Fox/the canceling network)- A sci-fi show taking place on a distant world where humans have to build a colony. Did I forget to mention there are dinosaurs there to?

5. Person of Interest(CBS)- Jonathan Nolan is writing this one,and he co-wrote The Prestige with his big brother, which was an awesome movie. Normally anything involving J.J. Abrams(he's the producer) I would steer clear of, but Jonathan Nolan is the creator of the show,so I have faith :).

6. Ringer(The CW)- I mainly want to see this because this could be Sarah Michelle Gellar's big comeback since Buffy: The Vampire Slayer ended. It looks mildly interesting, and I can kinda relate,since I have an identical twin brother.

I would have listed Awake as #1, but NBC being the asshole of a network it is,doesn't even have a release date for it yet.

I know! :star5:

Also, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is coming back in a few weeks. I've missed the gang.

I'll give Ringer a glance for SMG, but I doubt it'll hold up.

@ beer good I have similar feelings about Ringer. I love SMG, am a huge Buffy fan and have enjoyed her couple of films since also, but the show really doesn't sound that compelling to be honest. I've never found the whole 'twins' story-line in any literature/films/entertainment to be of any interest (no offence Lincoln ;-) ).

Has anyone watched Community? I caught a few episodes of Season 1 from iTunes but it was getting too expensive at £2 a pop so I've paused for now. But it was really very funny. I understand that it got better too and has been renewed for a third season to start in the U.S. shortly.

@Lincoln - I am watching Dexter, but am a few seasons behind. I've been watching the box sets. I've actually got season 4 ready to start watching this week, and can't wait! Gutted to hear season 5 not so great :-( Any particular reason you didn't enjoy it (without spoilers)?

@Will- I didn't like Season 5 because it felt more like a love story/drama than the Dexter I knew(ya know mystery, dark humor).

I think the only good aspect of season 5 is that Peter Weller is a very cool villain.

New:
"Secret Circle"
"Terra Nova"
"Grimm"
"Ringer"
"American Horror Story"

Returning:
"30 Rock"
"The Office"
"Community"
"The Walking Dead"
"Supernatural"

Oh yeah, Grimm sounds like it might be worth a watch - sort of like a live-action Fables.

American Horror Story sounds like an interesting idea on paper (and it has Jessica Lange!), but given that Ryan Murphy's previous credits are Nip/Tuck and Glee, my expectations really aren't high at all.

American Horror Story - I was wondering how this will be a success past season 1. Looking forward to it, but definitely curious as to how they'll stretch this out...

have to laugh @beer good's comments re: Nip/Tuck and Glee as I hate Nip Tuck, but enjoyed a few episodes from season 1 of Glee (didn't bother with season 2) BUT both are very successful shows in general, right?

Please give feedback on American Horror Story U.S.-based folks :)

I really enjoyed the first three seasons of "Nip/Tuck". After that it just went off the rails. Still fun to watch, but completely lacking in character development/logic. "Glee" looked dreadful from the get-go so I never bothered with that.

Will, I read somewhere each season of AHS is supposed to feature different characters.

Ah that would explain it. I was definitely curious, as I thought maybe it would be a haunted house-style show; in that case I can certainly see it working for a season, if it were along the lines of say Harper's Island, or such.

In fairness to Glee it did have some very funny laugh out loud moments, I felt anyway, but I can certainly see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

I had pretty much the same problem with Nip/Tuck and Glee, though I held out three seasons with the former and only one episode with the latter; both are shows that are deliberately over-the-top silly and constantly winking at the audience to ignore the silliness and join in because it's FUN, but aren't nearly fun enough to make me want to shut off my oh-come-the-****-ON-sense and just go with it. And then they try to go for drama in the middle of it and... no. Just no.

I had pretty much the same problem with Nip/Tuck and Glee, though I held out three seasons with the former and only one episode with the latter; both are shows that are deliberately over-the-top silly and constantly winking at the audience to ignore the silliness and join in because it's FUN, but aren't nearly fun enough to make me want to shut off my oh-come-the-****-ON-sense and just go with it. And then they try to go for drama in the middle of it and... no. Just no.

Glee is just too annoying on several levels. My 18 year old son gets annoyed with his peers when they hear him play an old song and they say, "Oh, the Glee version is the original, right?" I guess I did something right when I made the kids listen to my old records and the Oldies radio station, eh? Daniel has had fun introducing his friends to the wonders of The Everly Brothers and Bob Dylan.

I'm looking forward to:

Dexter
Boardwalk Empire
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead

As far as new shit, I'll give American Horror Story and Homeland a shot. Maybe the NBC version of Prime Suspect, although my expectations are low on that one.

The Walking Dead
Downton Abbey
In Treatment(S3)
Boardwalk Empire

That's if Boardwalk S2 airs in the U.K this Autumn.

Now this is why I started to hate Community(sorry fellas). Season 1 was hilarious, definitely some of the best comedy to hit TV, but Season 2 was very disappointing. They tried to combine drama, and make Chang an attention whoring wimp, instead of the smart ass he usually is.

I really hope 3 is a wake-up call.

Modern Family for sure! It is absolutely hilarious. Along with that, Boardwalk Empire is great if you're interested in the prohibition. Locked Up Abroad is quite possibly one of the most intriguing shows on National Geographic (in my opinion!) It's a must watch.

The New Shows I Can't Wait To See:

Grimm-Won't be watching it when it airs, since it's up against Supernatural from what I've been hearing, but I'll catch it on NBC's site or On Demand (hopefully) afterward.

Alcatraz-Looks very interesting, plus Sam Neill's in it and I've never been disappointed with him.

Once Upon A Time-I love fairy tales, and I love modern or updated/new takes on them just as much as the dark originals. This show looks like it could be fantastic, but it also looks like it could disappoint. Will have to wait and see.

Revenge-It looks very interesting, and I've enjoyed the leading lady's past work. I'm curious how long they can drag it out though, since it's being promoted as a series and not a mini-series.

Neverland-Very much looking forward to this one, honestly can't wait for it!

The Returning Shows I'm Dying To See Come Back:

Supernatural-While I thought Season 6 was muddled and very inconsistant, I did enjoy the second half of it (where it improved greatly) and have gone crazy waiting all summer to see what they're going to do next (although, what they do next concerning a certain character plays a large role in whether or not I'm going to continue watching the show after the Season 7 opener...).

Downton Abbey I just discovered this show last week on Netflix, and watched the entire first season in about 3-4 days. Love, love, love it-I'm very excited for Season 2!

I missed "Ringer" last night. There's an encore showing on Friday so I'm not too worried. Did anyone get to watch?

I missed "Ringer" last night. There's an encore showing on Friday so I'm not too worried. Did anyone get to watch?

Yes. :shudders: It was awful. If the plot sounds like something a daytime soap comes up with when they run out of ideas, that's because it's exactly what it is - right down to the constant muzak and bad, bad, BAD acting.

Back