• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what's everyone up to today?

Trying to decide whether to run right out and see The Constant Gardener. Sounds like the ending might have been 'adapted' as they say. :(

Attending the local high school football game tonight, mostly due to the fact that I'm helping out at a fundraiser. Hope to take a trip to my brother in law's house on saturday or sunday. It's been a long week.

Peder said:
Trying to decide whether to run right out and see The Constant Gardener. Sounds like the ending might have been 'adapted' as they say. :(
Is it based on a book? Sorry if that's an ignorant question. I'm really curious about this film, is it just another action flick or does it go deeper into some of the issues?

Ronny said:
Oh, no, he's only been here a few hours and I'm already starting to like the little intruder. He seems to really like the place, fish, birds, rodents and heaps of toys what's not to like? Some here would be happy to know he was tearing apart a penguin toy earlier.
Aww! That's so cute!! I know you're going to try hard to find his family, but if not it sounds like he's adopted you. Can you post a picture of the little guy (and the chewed up penguin :D )?

Kookamoor said:
Is it based on a book? Sorry if that's an ignorent question. I'm really curious about this film, is it just another action flick or does it go deeper into some of the issues?

Kookamoor,
It's based on LeCarre's book of the same name. Sorry, I just assumed everyone was a LeCarre fiend like myself :) In the book, it is about pharmaceutical companies, painted as evil villains, and their testing practices. (I hope that wording is careful enough!) The book shows villainous, merciless and ruthless behavior and, I think, shows either governmental bureaucratic incompetence or unconcern, if not veiled actual complicity. It is what I would call a slow read, as the story takes shape through seemingly unconnected episodes, and layers are slowly peeeld away. I would not say the book has a lot of action. Certainly not shoot-em-up action. At some points you will wonder what anything has to do with anything, in the best LeCarre style.

One hopes the movie is as good.

Hope that helps,
But I hope not so much as to take away from enjoying the book,
Peder

Peder said:
It's based on LeCarre's book of the same name.
It's not my sort of book to read, but the subject matter is very interesting to me. I've read all sorts of things about the start of the AIDs virus, and testing in Africa, and while there is a lot of hyperbole and urban legends, it's somewhat scary nonetheless.

i'm going to get my haircut tonight. something circa michelle williams' short hair on dawson's creek. currently it is all one length almost shoulder length, and i wear ponies and a kerchief daily. it gets a little boring.
i can't change the weather, but i can change my hair. :D

jenngorham said:
i'm going to get my haircut tonight. something circa michelle williams' short hair on dawson's creek. currently it is all one length almost shoulder length, and i wear ponies and a kerchief daily. it gets a little boring.

Oh good luck with your hair cut, it sounds cute. I never got up the nerve to cut mine, one of the kids at school asked me if I ever sit on it :eek: I told him it's not quite that long yet but close.

jenngorham said:

call me when you get back so we can msn and i can see it!!

ricky said:
call me when you get back so we can msn and i can see it!!

i will. the apt is at 715 my time and then i am going to the mall to find an outfilt to wear to jen's wedding. i never know what to wear to weddings.

Of course he was more interested in the camera than the penguin when I tried to get a pic. I will try to be more sneaky later.

aimg191.imageshack.us_img191_9268_rex24sb.jpg

Yes, he's been dragging the poor penguin all over the house and trying to chew off his bell. The other cats are keeping a close eye on the situation :)

I picked three quarters of a bushel of peaches at the orchard. They were beautiful and the trees were loaded. :)

Yum, I love peaches.

I didn't get anything done today but shopping. I have the family coming tomorrow and the place is a mess :( I don't know how I managed to let the day slip by.

Back