• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which bookstores do you prefer?

silvershoes.jpg

I usually go to my local Ottakars if I have money, and if they don't have the book I want I go to WHSmith. If I don't have enough money to get a nice new book I usually go to lots of charity shops and get a few for a fraction of what I would have spent on the new book.

I love Borders in Glasgow. Those lovely pictures remind me I haven't been there for just over 2 months now. :( It's too far away and the train fare is expensive. Although... I will be in Glasgow seeing Edward Scissorhands at the Theatre Royal with a friend in 2-3 weeks time... so I may get a little trip to Borders! :D

I don't like book shops which sell coffee. It's too distracting and I don't like coffee.

*points at Fopp and dances* Murakami for £5! Thats a price I could live with! :D

denny said:
Borders are in England now??? I guess things must have changed since I left!

Asia, New Zealand, everywhere :)

I prefer Borders too, and not just because I work there :)

Actually my favorite place to buy books is Half Price Books, and we've also got a local place called 1/4 Price Books that usually has some good finds.

I do most of my book buying at Borders and second hand bookstores like 1/2 price books and some local mom and pop shops. I sometimes shop online at Amazon and on rare occasion ebay.

Stewart - Glasgow looks like an amazing city. It is definitely on my "go to" list as soon as US$/UERO exchange rate gets any better! I may be waiting a long time.

I usually go to Whitcoulls (I'm pretty sure it's only an NZ chain). They do this thing where if you buy 10 books you get one free, and each week they have a book for $5, so it's pretty good. Borders I find to be more expensive over here.

venusunfolding said:
Asia, New Zealand, everywhere :)
:D :D I always find it hilarious when people use NZ when trying to emphasise how far into the world something has reached. I mean, NZ isn't that exotic is it? One section in The Day of the Triffids was exceptionally funny, where it said something like "surely the triffids can't have invaded everywhere .. somewhere there must be people living a normal life, in a place like Madagascar, Micronesia or New Zealand" (not exact). I had no idea that people thought of us in lines of countries that obscure :eek:

People always seem to think we are backwards, too. When my sister was on holiday in the US, she was standing in line for bus tickets and was talking to the person in the line behind her, and informed her that she was from NZ. The lady then proceeded in a sllooww voice to ask "Do you have rooaaddss in NZ?", accompanied by hand movements to show a road and everything :D

For online purchases, I Prefe Amazon followed by Powells. In regards to *landline* stores, I have an independent bookstore that is my favorite in Estes Park, Colorado. It's a rustic-woodsy design with a spacious interior.

th_macdonalds2.jpg

I'm not a big Barnes & Nobles fan, though I have nothing against them, not too many of their stores are around where I live.

Any book store as near as possible, did you know there are 100 book stores in New York City?

:)

Or I would just order from the Interent, it is easy and hassle free.

WOW! I think I'm going to have to move to NYC! The ONLY bookstore I have within 20 miles is Books-a-Million. I have to travel 50 miles to get to a decent bookstore.

Needless to say, I'm a very demanding member of my local library!

For local stores, I tend to head for ones on the west side of Wichita. This means Borders for full service retail, since Barnes and Nobles has both stores on the extreme east side-on the same road no less:mad: There are three great used stores, one on the west and two on the east side. I plan to sneak over to The Paperback Emporium today on the way to my doctor's appointment..so whatever you do, don't tell my kids:D

As for online stores, Amazon is great for browsing and getting info, but I order a lot from Overstock, Half.com, and ebay. I could also get attached to abebooks if I allowed myself!

MonkeyCatcher said:
somewhere there must be people living a normal life, in a place like Madagascar, Micronesia or New Zealand" (not exact). I had no idea that people thought of us in lines of countries that obscure :eek:

I don't think Madagascar or Micronesia are obscure.

Back