• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which bookstores do you prefer?

Stewart said:
I don't think Madagascar or Micronesia are obscure.
Not to someone who is as learned as you, no, but to the average Joe, I think that they are very obscure. People have heard of them, yes, but I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be able to tell you one thing about them, possibly other than their location (unless they've seen Madagascar, of course :p )

I hate to explain, but the inference was that Madagascar and Micronesia were not obscure but New Zealand was. :rolleyes:

Madagascar's that huge island running down the east coast of Africa: hooray for lemurs!

I worked out you meant that as I was typing my last post.

The blushing thing was because I didn't work it out before posting my second to last post.

So you're not as far ahead as you think you are! :p

Edit: What's a lemur ;)

SFG75 said:
I have an independent bookstore that is my favorite in Estes Park, Colorado. It's a rustic-woodsy design with a spacious interior.

Good to know SFG75, that's right up the road from me. What's the name?

Barnes & Noble, as they're the only bookstore in my town. I've been to Borders once and didn't remember anything special about it. As for Books-a-Million, I've only heard the name but have yet to actually step foot in one.

Barnes and Noble is closest to my work, so I usually head there if I know what I want and am too impatient to wait for Amazon.

But if I want to browse, I head to Ann Arbor, MI to check out a view different places, including the original Borders store. :)

igbomb said:
Barnes and Noble is closest to my work, so I usually head there if I know what I want and am too impatient to wait for Amazon.

But if I want to browse, I head to Ann Arbor, MI to check out a view different places, including the original Borders store. :)

I've been there once. There is a nice Borders not too far from where I live now. If I do go browsing or shopping for books the old fashion way, it's that one or independent places. There is a chain on the east coast called Atlantic Book Warehouse. They mostly carry remainders. That is another favorite of mine. But when it comes to brand new just released hardcovers, Amazon is hard to beat.

As of late, Amazon.com's sales haven't been that great. I think I've ordered more products from the Barnes and Noble website than Amazon, truth be told (having a membership card helps greatly).

For online shopping, Amazon.com. Back home (Australia), I preferred Dymocks and Borders in the Sydney CBD. Here in the UK, the only large bookstores near me are WHSmith, and Ottakers.

When I lived in Glasgow I probably never fully appreciated Borders. I only manage an occasional visit there nowadays. I like Waterstone’s, but our local branch is very small. It sometimes does not have the books that I want. Today was one of those days. I guess I will just have to send off another order to Amazon.

I have been waiting 6 weeks for the last order to arrive. :(

pwilson said:
Good to know SFG75, that's right up the road from me. What's the name?

Here ya go. The link is to a sister building that they have that details with stationary and that kind of thing. Their home page is very impressive, books can even be purchased online.

SFG75 said:
Here ya go. The link is to a sister building that they have that details with stationary and that kind of thing. Their home page is very impressive, books can even be purchased online.
Thanks for the link, SFG75. I'll have to drop by the next time I'm up there.

I tend to drift into Borders and Barnes & Noble frequently to browse the sale section and the new books, but they have nothing unusual - granted, sometimes I'm looking for something really unusual and they are charming about ordering, but still, their in-store stock is all classics, best-sellers and a the last few books by well-known authors.

My favorite bookstores are the grimy used bookstores, where there's usually a minimum of events, chat and fey clerks who make spontaneous comments on your purchases. Their only drawback is near-total invisibility - finding them requires falling down the right rabbit hole at the right time and landing on a magic bean.

I tend to hang out at Border's on the west side of Wichita the most. There are a couple of really great independent bookshops here, Eighth Day and Watermark, but they have such really odd hours that is a treat when i find time to get over to them. Those two shops probably have the best service in the city and Watermark has a second shop that deals in rare and antique books and papers.

denny said:
Since I've lived here in the US, I much prefer Borders. I find Books-a-Million to be a 'browsers's bookstore' and not so much a 'reader's bookstore'.

In England, I found that W H Smiths had the best selection of fiction.
I agree. I love Borders because you can look through HUGE selections of books as opposed to a tiny little shelf for each category. Also, Books-A-Million has more mainstream stuff than what I want to read, and you can't sit down in any of the ones I have been to and read through a book comfortably before you buy it.

Back