• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

Well as a big fantasy fan, especially of EPIC fantasy I have to say Steven Erikson is the best I've read. His prose isn't as brilliant IMO as Gene Wolfe, M. John Harrison, China Mieville or Italo Calvino and I hear Jeff Vandermeer (one of my authors to target for 2006) but his worldbuidling is second only to Tolkien from my experience and his magic sytems are amazing!...:cool:

Tolkien is OK but don't talk about Lewis...

I mean, the story is all right, but he is a complete racist!!!( and other things)

My favourite authors are:
Alice Walker
Dostoeyevsky
Margaret Atwood
James Joyce
Bill Bryson
Jostein Gaarder

Possible favourites (if I read more by them than the one I have read):
Jonathan Safran Foer
Vladimir Nabokov
Yann Martel
Umberto Eco

Stewart said:
What was the one?

The Name of the Rose.

I thought it was tough-going at times, but mainly because of the Latin (and all the other languages), but I loved the history, especially the Philosophy, which is a big interest of mine anyway. I've never read a book that managed to convey so much setting and background information, yet still make the plot work.

I have Foucalt's Pendulum on my TBR pile, which I am even more excited about reading.

Sorry, you only asked for the name of the book... :rolleyes:

steffee said:
The Name of the Rose.

I thought it was tough-going at times, but mainly because of the Latin (and all the other languages), but I loved the history, especially the Philosophy, which is a big interest of mine anyway. I've never read a book that managed to convey so much setting and background information, yet still make the plot work.

I have Foucalt's Pendulum on my TBR pile, which I am even more excited about reading.

Sorry, you only asked for the name of the book... :rolleyes:
Pendulum is good but not as good as Name Of The Rose IMO. You may also like to try some of his other novels including Focault's Pendulum, Baudiliono or The Island of The Day Before but Rose is my fav of his books. I assume you're aware a film with the same title starring Sean Connery was made based on the book, which I quite liked.

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana his more recent novel I've not read but others like Ainulnidale have and it appears to have had good reviews.

In my point of view Foucault's Pendulum is the absolutely best of Eco's books - il liked it very, very much.

Mine is Tolkien. There are lots of other authors who I really enjoy reading, but he is the one I come back to the most.

I'm not sure who my one favorite is, but I really like Ray Bradbury; I'm not usually into sci-fi but his writing is incredible. I loved the Martian Chronicals and of course, Fahrenheit 451:

"When it was all over he felt like a man who had been thrown from a centrifuge, and spat out over a waterfall that fell and fell into emptiness and emptiness and never-quite-touched-bottom-never-never-quite-no not quite-touched-bottom...and you feel so fast you didn't touch the sides either...never...quite...touched...anything."

john grisham... he writes books for guys.. i dun like 'em too much

I am a girl and I love John Grisham... I also love James Patterson, Michael Connelly, Ridley Pearson, and all kinds of male authors. I love all genres as well.

Herbert and Hutson

Favourite author for me has to be James Herbert followed closely by Shaun Hutson. Ok I'll admit there's a bit of a horror motif here, but I like what I like.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I have two favourite authors - Margaret Atwood and Diana Gabaldon

Nice picks, they are at the top of my list, too. I recently added Jeffrey Eugenides to that list.

has any one read Charles de Lint?

Hi,

My favorite Author is Charles de Lint, fantasy genre. I can never get enough. I read his books over and over. He is a brilliant story teller.
Has any one else read his books?

Back