• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

I know it's seems strange, but you should really read Edgar Allan Poe. He is the definition of macabre. Once you get use to the oddness of his prose due to the common language uses when he wrote, I think you will find him as frightening and exciting as King and Lovecraft. Just a suggestion.

I know it's seems strange, but you should really read Edgar Allan Poe. He is the definition of macabre. Once you get use to the oddness of his prose due to the common language uses when he wrote, I think you will find him as frightening and exciting as King and Lovecraft. Just a suggestion.

Oh but I have, and he is a wonderful author too. My favorite story from Poe is The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar. I'm a bit of an aficionado of horror now and have read many of the classic writers. I don't just stick to King and Lovecraft, but they are the ones I know I can always count on for a good story.

A short list...

Tom Clancy
J.W. Hall
Kyle Mills
John Barsness
Tolkien
Heinlein
Layne Heath
Stephen Lawhead
Donald Harstad
Kent Haruf
Deon Meyer

My first book at the age of about 4 was a book of Poe. My Mother read to us from 101 Famous Poems regularly and I loved The Raven so she bought me a book of Poe. I will never forget the Pit and the Pendulum with the blade swinging closer - ever closer.

Here is a great YouTube video of James Earl Jones reading The Raven:
Enjoy

Dostoyevsky-he wasn't a one hit wonder and all of his books you can read again and again and find something new, as well as scenes that no two people will ever agree with.

Actually, I never heard of Clive Clusser, but I have read a number of books such as William Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, and a whole bunch of other books that I can't remember.

I don't believe my eyes, you have never heard of Clive Cussler? You are missing out on a whole world filled with sunken treasure and anything else that you could think of.

I don't believe my eyes, you have never heard of Clive Cussler? You are missing out on a whole world filled with sunken treasure and anything else that you could think of.

Cussler is a good author, he is an entertaining read and he definitely fits the bill of "page turner." He's not in my pantheon of "favorite" though-he doesn't dare come and sit at the table with me, Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, and Steinbeck. :)

It depends on one's definition of "favorite". I'd define my favorites as authors that I'll buy as soon as they come out, if currently active. But not only, obviously. I suppose I'd have to say, then, authors I collect as much as possible.
Even if I haven't read all of their work. Yet.

Vladimir Nabokov
John Banville (by any name) :)
John Irving
Paul Auster
Diana Gabaldon
James Lee Burke
Harlan Coben
Hilary Mantel
C.J. Sansom
Robert Merle
Mary Stewart
Neil Gaiman
William Faulkner
Paul Doiron

To begin with.....

If by favorite you mean something that you can always read, the two authors that I can think of off the top of my head, would have to be.

Terry Pratchett and J.R.R Tolkien

My first book at the age of about 4 was a book of Poe. My Mother read to us from 101 Famous Poems regularly and I loved The Raven so she bought me a book of Poe. I will never forget the Pit and the Pendulum with the blade swinging closer - ever closer.

Here is a great YouTube video of James Earl Jones reading The Raven:
Enjoy

I'll see your Jones and raise you a Walken.....

naaah LOL James Earl Jones (AKA Darth Vader) has the 'VOICE' for it :p

Uh uh......Lou Rawls was " The Voice"...............(chuckle) , best version of Tobacco Road ever recorded , 1965 Capitol records , same album with the monologue about south side Chicago. I'll put it up in the music section sometime , along with a buncha blues , Zydeco and jazz.....( if you like and it's not just going to bore folks.......Professor Longhair , Iry Lejeune etc are not some folks cup of tea , likewise Leadbelly , Charlie Christian , the Cheniers , early Miles , Stanley Turrentine , Dexter Gordon , Chet Mulligan etc.etc.etc.)

I like blues, jazz not so much.

If you like Blues then there is quite a lot of Jazz you may well like , it's a broad genre with myriad segments/definitions within the genre , many of which are rather Blues-based.

It's a given that certain styles of Bop or Free Jazz aren't to most folks taste , even to a fiend such as myself Sun Ra , Albert Ayler or even at times Charlie Parker sounds like someone trying to strangle their horn.

Hank Crawford , Nat and Cannonball Adderley , Wes Montgomery , Kenny Burrell and myriad others are entirely a different cup of tea.

And then there are the artists who crossed back and forth and defy convenient labeling , was Billy Holiday Jazz or Blues? Or was she something all to herself , Grover Washington is sometimes one , sometimes the other , sometimes both , Big Joe Turner similar.

Was Gil Scott Heron either , or just a brilliant spoken word poet and political activist with some of the most relevant sociopolitical commentary ever to run down the pike?

And then there are of course the genres that some folks toss under the convenient "jazz" label , Zydeco is *not* jazz , though quite a few attempt to label it as such.

My musical taste is all over the map , from certain classical to Irish Punk and much that's in between , new or old , I don't much care as long as it's pleasing.

That said there are of course artists I don't much care for , many of them modern , as an example my personal opinion of Brittany Spears runs to " Spear Brittany before she attempts to sing again."...........

Well this is getting a bit off topic. Can we move this discussion to its own thread? Then I can bore you with my musical tastes :)

Back