• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

grav8e said:
I really enjoyed Motherless Brooklyn by Lethem.
By Bradbury, I really recommend Death Is A Lonely Business, which also has two sequels...but the first was the best. It's an atypical Bradbury...a mystery. Also Green Shadows, White Whale was terrific...semi-autobiographical.

Alright, thank! :)

I was wondering what to get by him next. It's good to have a couple of suggestions.

Fav. authors

For me, these guys rule !!!!!!!!!!!!!

my alltime favourites are:
- Michael Crichton
- Jeffrey deaver
- Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
- James Rollins/ James Clemens
- Matthew Reilly

other authors whom i admire:
- L. Frank Baum
- Phillip Margolin
- Dan Brown
- David Gemmell
- Terry Brooks
- Christopher Paolini
- Gene Brewer
- James Patterson
- Steve Alten
- Matthew B. J. Delaney
- Mercedes Lackey

Thats the most i can remember rite now :D

Difficult to say.....it seems to change with time. It was Cussler.......then Patterson......now i'm reading Michael Connelly and mightily impressed

There are really many writers, poets and philosophers - even psychologers - who I love to read. Franz Kafka is a permanent love. But then there are "phases" in which I am more into one or another writer.

Among the women writers, I have a fix liking as well, it is Pearl S. Buck for her book "Mothers´Earth" and "Peony".

Another writer I truely adore is Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho. His novel "The Alchemist" is outstanding and apart from being a bestseller for years I belive it is one of the few contemporary works that will be part of world literature on a stable basis. As Coelho is present not only in boosk but also in newspapers, I have to admit that I am following his articles and columns as well.

Well, it is really too difficult to boil down one´s likings to one single writer.
I believe we are multi-facettical people and therefore have a need for reading the written products of many brilliant minds.

Cheers!

"He who loves has conquered the world and has no fear of losing anything. True love is an act of total surrender."
http://www.paulocoelho.com
http://www.warriorofthelight.com

Faves

ledaatomic i like your list of authors
i tried to narrow it down to five and came up with:
Italo Calvino
Arundhati Roy
Ursula Le Guin
Milan Kundera
Vladimir Nabokov.....
But of course there are plenty more - i came up with another seven while making this list!

..oh, yeah, thanks for reminding me: Grahame Greene - he´s divine! and during some time, at high school, I really loved to read Guy de Maupassant. He has a very fine irony that I only understood years afterwards in its full extent. He is a master in observing the rules of society.

Paulo Coelho is top favorite, of course.
The first chapter of his latest novel can be read online for free at http://www.paulocoelho.com/ozahir/livro/index.html - it´s a very beautiful way of reading a book online, you will see!!

Cheers

"Love can only be discovered through the practice of love."
By the River Piedra I sat down and wept
http://www.warriorofthelight.com

My favorite authors in order of prefrence;

1. Raymond E. Feist (magician)
2. Douglas Adams (the guide)
3. Margaret Weis (Dragonlance)
4. Ursula Le Guin (earthsea)
5. Maggie Furey (shadowleague & the Artifacts Of Power)

My favourite author has to be Agatha Christie. She just keeps me guessing and not once have I figured out 'Who dunnit' before the end of the book. I can't get enough of her books. :)

My faves

Lets see. These are in no particular order of course (just not my style). Okay:

Julian Barnes, History of the World in 10.5 Chapters and England, England especially. The man is brilliant, in my completely unbiased opinion. Admittedly, I find some of his work a little *ahem* pretentious. But I love him anyway.

Jasper Fforde, his Thursday Next series is just so fun, especially for a book geek like me :) Can't wait to read the new one (I know it's not Thursday but I'll give it a shot)

Jane Austen, how can you not love Pride and Prejudice?

Others I love, just for fun: Mr. Dahl, Lemony Snicket, Miriam Toews Sandra Gulland, Jack Whyte . . . I'll stop there, methinks.

Well here's five favourite authors, in five genres:

Raymond E. Feist (Fantasy)
Lee Child (Thriller)
Ian Rankin (Crime)
Peter F. Hamilton (Science Fiction)
Jane Austen (Classic/old fiction)

Of those, Raymond E. Feist gets the award for longest time in my list (more than 10 years). Lee Child is the most recent (this year) but currently my favourite.

Nakmeister

Roald Dahl is definitely a classic author. I also love William Saroyan, who seems to be less known but still reads as classic for me. :)

My favorite authors change the more I read, but right now the list would look as follows (in no particular order).

Albert Camus, Henrik Pontoppidan, John Steinbeck, Ian McEwan, James Joyce, Fyodor Dostoevskiy, Thomas Mann, Karen Blixen, Ernest Hemingway, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jorge Luis Borges, Johannes V. Jensen, Franz Kafka, William Shakespeare, Anton Chekov...

and probably many others.

Back