• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wow, this forum is dead!

Misfit

Where is everyone?

Let's talk books! What is everyone currently reading? How many books are in your collection? How long have you been collecting for? Whats your take on e-books & the Kindle?

I'm reading "Never Look Away" by Linwood Barclay. If you haven't read anything by him, you should. Start with "No Time For Goodbye" - His books are absolutely amazing.
I own a little under 100 books. I've only really started buying books, instead of borrowing from the library, within the last year. It's growing pretty rapidly though, as I buy 3-5 books per month.
I'll never own a Kindle. There's something about actually physically having the book in your hands and your collection. The crisp, fresh scent of the pages..

:D I hope this livens things up a bit!

Where is everyone?

Let's talk books! What is everyone currently reading? How many books are in your collection? How long have you been collecting for? Whats your take on e-books & the Kindle?

I'm reading "Never Look Away" by Linwood Barclay. If you haven't read anything by him, you should. Start with "No Time For Goodbye" - His books are absolutely amazing.
I own a little under 100 books. I've only really started buying books, instead of borrowing from the library, within the last year. It's growing pretty rapidly though, as I buy 3-5 books per month.
I'll never own a Kindle. There's something about actually physically having the book in your hands and your collection. The crisp, fresh scent of the pages..

:D I hope this livens things up a bit!

I don't know about this freshness and whatnot. It could be that a used book store is a giant petri dish of bacteria considering how many of those books were read in the bathroom. :whistling:

The Kindle is okay, I bought one a few weeks ago in an attempt to cut back on the accumulating large numbers of books, BUT I find I prefer reading paperback books, and that my eyes aren't as comfortable reading the Kindle's screen - at any resolution/font size - as they are with reading paper.

I will use it, and continue to buy books for it (especially those epic tomes), but it's not preferred. I do like that quite a few books I've bought for it have been cheap, and for someone interested in fringe/small-press horror titles, quite often the publishers offer Kindle versions of books at a heavy discount to retail price, should I feel like purchasing any.

As for my regular book collection... too many books! Or not enough. I can't decide, honestly. I love books, and I have kind of an issue with them. I do read pretty much what I buy, but I could buy till I ran out of cash. I've several large boxes in storage, and several shelves full in my study. I do need to try and stop adding to the shelves, but I must be honest, it likely won't happen...

I bought a kindle a few months ago after they came out with the $114 version. It got cheap enough I could justify it. I've read several books with it since then and I'm pretty happy with it. Comes in real handy while reading in bed. The only real problem with it I have is still the cost of books. It is crazy that some ebooks cost as much if not more than the paper back versions.

Currently I'm reading Shifting by Larson. Just a straight up action horror book to kill time. It is a $3 ebook btw which is about the most any ebook should cost imo at least once the paperback is out.

I have no idea how many books I have and I've pretty much quit buying anymore. Only books I buy now are ones I can't get at the library and I have to read.

"People say that BAR is dead.

Fact is, it just looks dead.

BAR has always been right there...

...under the surface...

...just waiting for the opportunity
to deliver God's justice."

(Compliments of - A Time to Kill)

Well we do have the somewhat pointless threads in the General Chat section, however, the book discussing part of the forum - supposedly the core and reason of its existence - does seem to be rather quiet as of late. So, Misfit, seeing as you brought up the issue, why not start a thread on the Barclay book or join in other, existing discussion about your favourite genre, author, novel, poem, et cetera, et cetera.

I will step off my little soap box right now.

"People say that BAR is dead.

Fact is, it just looks dead.

BAR has always been right there...

...under the surface...

...just waiting for the opportunity
to deliver God's justice."

(Compliments of - A Time to Kill)

Nice. I love me an opportunity to quote popular cinema.

I'm currently reading a piece of Non-Fiction called "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson. It is about the U.S. ambassador to Germany, William Dodd, and his family in berlin during the first years of Hitler's rule. Great so far...

I am a library person for the most part. I love to re-read books that I thoroughly enjoyed, so I do have a small collection of maybe 30-40 books.

Probably won't get an e-reader. I like the idea of having a huge collection of books always at my fingertips and whats more I really like the anonymity of an e-reader (I don't like people looking at what I am reading) but, I like to hold a book and turn the page too much to give up regular books. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

Because, because what? Are you trying to turn this into another question and answer thread?

May I share a quote. The quote, IMHO, is not to judge others but to ask ourselves where do we fit in.That's why understanding ourselves is divine.

"Intelligent people talk about ideas.
Average people talk about things.
Small people talk about other people.
Fools argue."

May I share a quote. The quote, IMHO, is not to judge others but to ask ourselves where do we fit in.That's why understanding ourselves is divine.

Fools argue."

Very enlightening.

So, why is there not much activity on the forum, again?

Fools argue."

"Wise men make proverbs, fools repeat them."

i have a kindle but i only use it to download classics for free because they don't have copy right any more. otherwise i just buy books from the store. i got a bunch of books for 40 percent off at border's liquidation sale.

i'm reading a dance with dragons currently by george rr martin, it's okay but i feel like the series started going down hill ever since book 3.

Where is everyone?

Ha, thanks for the effort. I don't know how many books I have. I have probably over 200 Star Wars books, another 50+ Christian historical fiction, 300+ Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys.

I'm reading 6 ish books at the moment. One is from the author 101 series on why authors need agents. Brandon Sanderson's Hero of Ages. Wonderstruck; Star Wars Young Jedi Knights Lightsabers; Star Wars Knight Errant... I'll start Dagger Quick soon.
I've been collecting books for quite a while, something like 20 yrs.
Ebooks are ok, but even though I have a kindle, I still prefer real books. ebooks are certainly convenient and perhaps the future is moving that way but the epublishing industry is a bit lax as to what gets out there, even moreso than the traditional publishing industry. So, unless I know the author's previous works, I'd probably be hesitant to read new stuff via kindle.

Back