• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writers whose cult following freaks you out

I knew about King's fanaticals, I had an inkling about Cards. but de Lint too? I don't see the need to get fanatical about any particular writer..
Having said that, I know some wonderful people who are ardent followers of Christian writers like: James Dobson, Charles Swindoll, Max Lucado, John Piper, and of course, my own church's all time favorite: R.C. Sproul. All these guys are great writers, but to have them quoted chapter and verse gets weird sometimes. If I hear one more time, "yeah, but Dobson says.." I know I'll pop out in purple spots all over my face...

abecedarian said:
I knew about King's fanaticals, I had an inkling about Cards. but de Lint too?

My only explanation is the sheer size of the Baby Boomer generation. Get a tiny percentage of that group that still has a lingering affection for magical realism, faerie and the like, and you've still got a lot of people.

venusunfolding said:
hands down Ayn Rand's

Heh, heh, good old Greenspan. Anyway, I'll also add Tolkien and, to some extent, Phillip K. Dick (not a large cult, but certainly a vicious one).

I'm going to second JK Rowling. Surely there's better books out there to develop a fascination with...

arctic said:
JK Rowling. and Stephen King...particularly regarding the dark tower series.

Yes, I agree. The Dark Tower series has quite a following.

They even have a forum dedicated to the Series.....
Click here

I do admit that I belong there, but only for the reason of finding out the answers to the questions while reading the series myself....:p

SFG75 said:
L. Ron Hubbard's.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fair's fair, without L. Ron Hubbard one of my favourite internet photos wouldn't exist...

awww.xs4all.nl__fishman_travolta.jpg

You can have hours of fun trying to think of alternative captions.....or wishing they'd put several thousand volts through those wires when they had the chance, if only to stop "Battlefield Earth" being made...

Kenny Shovel said:
Fair's fair, without L. Ron Hubbard one of my favourite internet photos wouldn't exist...

You can have hours of fun trying to think of alternative captions.....or wishing they'd put several thousand volts through those wires when they had the chance, if only to stop "Battlefield Earth" being made...

Actually, I think this photo explains a LOT of stupid public remarks by several Scientology celebs I can think of. Thanks for the laugh Kenny!

Back