• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your Very First Website...

-Carlos-

Do you remember the first website you opened when you first used the Internet?

CNN.com was my very first website back in 1998. Wow what a memory!

Do you recall your first site?

astatic.howstuffworks.com_gif_cnn_debut_1.jpg

I started with Compuserve (later purchased by AOL) before there was a world wide web. I remember the frustration of using their site with the charges they made to see a lot of the content.

Also, if you spent too much time reading, which meant that your were "inactive" they cut the connection.

Also, if you spent too much time reading, which meant that your were "inactive" they cut the connection.

That's how my uni library's lighting system worked too. They put motion sensors in the stacks and by the reading desks. Great when you were browsing and the lights came on automatically as you walked around, but sit down and read for longer than a minute and they all turned off again, plunging you into darkness. A great bit of design.

I think Lycos is the first webpage I visited. I was pretty new by then.
I remember my very first PC much better. It was a Tandy Radio Shack TRS 80-IV released in 1983.

aimg355.imageshack.us_img355_2213_trs80iiisa8.jpg

Well I don't know if this counts as a website or not, but my dad had a collection of links he put together with HTML and used that for his home page. That would've been my first impression of the internet.

Well I don't know if this counts as a website or not, but my dad had a collection of links he put together with HTML and used that for his home page. That would've been my first impression of the internet.

Yeah that's a web page (HTML :blink:). Funny, I also have a personal links page and it is my home page too.

The Mosaic homepage on the NCSA website around 1994. Mainly because that's the homepage for the Mosaic installs in the YSU computer lab.

I think Lycos is the first webpage I visited. I was pretty new by then.
I remember my very first PC much better. It was a Tandy Radio Shack TRS 80-IV released in 1983.

aimg355.imageshack.us_img355_2213_trs80iiisa8.jpg

Careful with that thing, it wants to jettison you into space.

My first personal computer was an Osborne. It looked, and sometimes acted, much like a portable sewing machine. The screen was 40 characters wide and it ran on CP/M, a predecessor of DOS. The designer didn't believe in cooling fans but in the cooling action of natural air flow. There was very little cooling air flow in my unairconditioned house in the early 80s, so the thing kept shutting down. It rested, but it never died -- always came back to life after a suitable interval.

It was a good training machine for me. I learned to read an operating system manual and to deal with undeserved difficulties.

After a couple of years I bought an early IBM PC and gave the Osborne to charity. I should have kept it because some day it will be a collector's item, like an early automobile.

I'm pretty much a newbie to computers, only buying this Gateway model 7 years ago. My first website was a news site, either CNN or CBS, and the second the NYT.

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000. I wish I still had it. After that came a Commodore 64 and then the 64C. Anyone remember GEOS? Good times.

My first PC was a notebook. It was the second one to come out with a built in CD-ROM drive. The brand escapes me but it was a 486 DX4/75 with a 40MB hard drive. Oh yeah.

No, I don't remember the first website, but I probably accessed it from work. My first home Internet service was AOL, version 2.0, loaded onto a Powerbook 100 with a GlobalFax modem.

It is hard to remember... but I think my first internet connection was compuserv. I thought it WAS the internet when I first connected. My first computer was a 286 (is that right? was there such a thing as a 286?) I remember it had a DOS operating system. I did some very early graphic work on it that was so labor intensive! I really celebrated windows.

Back