• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital, soon to be shown in the States, a complete ripoff of Lars von Trier's 1994 Danish television show The Kingdom?

Martin,
I'm still stinging from the "madmen" crack but I understand the "world view" on the States. It's wrong of course, but understandable.
Now on with show.

What & where was Bullwinkle's Alma mater?

Why isn't a 2x4 piece of lumber 2x4?

Why is there always room for Jell-o?

What team won the UHL hockey championship last season?

Somehow thanks doesn't seem enough. How can this Forum possibly repay you?

Bill

Originally posted by Martin
Okay, back to business.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Knowze Gungk:

The killogram is not a unit of weight

Metric unit

Noun 1. metric unit - a decimal unit of measurement of the metric system (based on meters and kilograms and seconds).

g, gm, gram, gramme - a metric unit of weight equal to one thousandth of a kilogram.

Although they are called basic machines, they are made up of a mob of smaller machines & seem rather complex. When I say basic, I mean it literately.

There are six basic machines. The lever, the wheel and axle, the pulley, the inclined plane, the wedge, and the screw are considered the six simple machines.

Still wrong on both, I'm afraid.

Just because the Kilo's commonly referred to as a unit of weight, doesn't actually mean it is a unit of weight. It's a common misconception, Like how everyone refers to balance scales as a machine for measuring weight, even in the face of the contrary (which is clear to anyone who knows the defenition of weight).

They're all simple machines, no doubt about that, but they're not all basic.

whoa! its a crime to go offline seeing the way this thread expands

ok questions!

1 what is the origin of abracadabra?

2 what came first : the chicken or the egg?

3 why does a spider never get trapped in its own web?

4 will you spend the rest of your life googling? (coz we are sure not going to stop bombarding you with questions:D)

Right. I go away for one lousy day! Fingers crossed!

Kaz:

'Bookworm' don't make sense, this nickname, where it come from?

A bookworm is in fact an insect, a larva of a beetle or moth, which is injurious to books. Many species are known. This has, over time, changed into slang for someone who loves books.

SillyWabbit:

YHWH which is 'I Will Be' translated into English. I will be... what? A spoon? A hat? What will YHWH be?

Don't you know, he's everything.

If God is not playing dice with the universe then what IS he playing?

Honestly, I think he's not really playing. I think he's just bored, and we're his playthings.

God moves in mysterious ways, why?

If we understood him, religion wouldn't have been such a big thing. Whether that would be for the better or for the worse, I'll let you decide.

When on a date, Martin, have you ever gone Dutch?

No. We're actually not that cheap.

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Then we're screwed.
Mile-O-Phile:

Is Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital, soon to be shown in the States, a complete ripoff of Lars von Trier's 1994 Danish television show The Kingdom?

''Kingdom Hospital'' was inspired by ''Riget'' (''The Kingdom''), a 1994 miniseries by Danish director Lars von Trier, who shares executive producer credit with King and Mark Carliner on this adaptation.
King saw the original in 1997 and ''was just amazed by it.'' He then hoped to adapt it for U.S. audiences, but was initially stymied because Sony/Columbia had the rights to make a feature film.
The studio eventually made a deal with King to co-produce the miniseries in exchange for the rights to his novella, which has been adapted into ''Secret Window,'' the Johnny Depp movie that opens March 12.

What's the name of the shopping mall in the centre of Gdynia?

Klif shopping mall.

RaVeN:

What & where was Bullwinkle's Alma mater?

Wottsamotta University.

Why isn't a 2x4 piece of lumber 2x4?

Because it's a standardised name. If you were to name each piece of lumber according to its size, then you'd have a hell of a lot of names.

Why is there always room for Jell-o?

The technical term for Jell-O, I believe is 2,2,4 Trimethylpentane in a colloidal mucous base. Early attempts to promote sales of the colorful and somewhat tasty product failed to catch on, perhaps because of the slogan "There's always room for 2,2,4 Trimethylpentane in a colloidal mucous base." Then they hired a copywriter to coin a catchier phrase for the product; the rest is history. Incidentally, our former commmanders-in-chief learned a lesson from this renaming. No longer do we have the MX missile; we have the Peacekeeper. So whether it's food or nuclear weapons, renaming a product makes unpleasant reality go down a little bit easier. Kind of like a midwestern family reunion potluck.

What team won the UHL hockey championship last season?

The Komets.

Knowze Gungk:

Metric unit of weight?

Newton.

Basic machines?

Do they get more basic than a lever and a screw? Are we talking molecules and atoms here?

piedro:

What is the origin of abracadabra?

Abracadabra is a very old term, turning up first in a second-century poem. It was used by the Gnostics, early Christians who placed great stock in esoteric knowledge. The term has been explained as:
  1. A combination of the Hebrew words ab ("father"), ben ("son"), and ruach acadosch ("holy spirit");
  2. A derivation of the name of one Gnostic leader, Abrasax;
  3. A derivation of Abraxas, a Gnostic word for God, "the source of 365 emanations." Allegedly the Greek letters for Abraxas add up to 365 when translated according to numerological principles.
What came first : the chicken or the egg?

This question is more anthropological than evolutionary, since the chicken (Gallus domesticus) didn't exist until its domestication around 2000 BC in Indochina. The first chicken came from the first chicken egg, which was laid by a red junglefowl (Gallus gallus). Whether you argue creation or evolution, the fact that humanity predates and is responsible for the speciation of chickens from red junglefowl should lay the "chicken or the egg" question to rest. From an evolutionary perspective, this answer holds for all species: the first member(s) of any species were the offspring of another very similar species, i.e. evolution argues that the egg always comes first. From a creationist perspective, this answer is anomalous, since all species that predate humanity originated as adults around 4004 BC, i.e. creationism argues that the red junglefowl came before the red junglefowl egg.

why does a spider never get trapped in its own web?

Let’s begin with the fact that web-building spiders can, in fact, get trapped in their own webs! Although a spider lays across several strands of sticky material in order to make the web, not all of those strands have the substance that makes the web sticky.

Only a spider will know which are sticky and which aren’t. That explains why, when they move in to “catch” their prey, they move down a single line and not right across the web.

Another fact to take note of is that the sticky materials do not affect the spider’s feet anyway, so they don’t get trapped so easily, like their prey. This doesn’t mean that a spider can’t get caught in its own web of course, because the rest of its body can get stuck to the web just as easily as any other insect can.

Will you spend the rest of your life googling? (coz we are sure not going to stop bombarding you with questions)

I hope so, I'm enjoying this. And who says I'm using google? Maybe I know all this stuff.

Okay. That'll be it for the day. Visiting hours are over, the doctor has left the building (or will in the very near future).

NEXT!

Cheers, Martin :D

Fair enough. As I said, I'm not omniscient, I'm only trying my best.

On the 'Movements of God':

By the way, according to Greek mythology, God was the only thing that didn't move, and everything else (from the planets to the ants on the ground) moved in order to come closer to him/her.

NEXT!

Wait, there was a God in Greek mythology? I thought there was loads of gods, Zeus, Apollo, etc...

Sorry, I was talking about the Greek philosophers, and not Greek mythology. Spot on, Igkuk!

NEXT!

(I deny ever editing this post)

Just a small precision to the God issue. Actually, although many philosophers claimed Him to be unmoving, it was Aristotle who regarded Him as the aim of everything.

Not so many questions today. Come on people!

Igkuk:

Where is that spot?

I'd answer that but I don't want to get banned! ;)

Knowze Gungk:

You can't get more basic than a lever, But the screw is derived from the other basic machine.

A nail?

Beatrycze:

Just a small precision to the God issue. Actually, although many philosophers claimed Him to be unmoving, it was Aristotle who regarded Him as the aim of everything.

I knew that, I was being very general.

Weak attempt today, guys. I expected a little more from you guys. :(

Anyway ...

NEXT!

Wow, tricky ones!

Mile-O-Phile:

How would I calculate the Inverse Hyperbolic Cosecant in Visual Basic?

If you were at all sane, you wouldn't. If you're insane, and I suspect you are, then grab your most complex calculator, and do this: To compute the inverse hyperbolic cosecant of a vector field press the inv button then the hyp button then the csc button. This will produce the operator acsch() in the typeout.

Richard Lowry:

Were any Congressional Medals of Honor awarded in Operation Desert Storm?

No.

In Operation Iraqi Freedom?

No.

That's that for today, the doctor will be back tomorrow!

What is the age of the universe? How long till the universe dies? My defination of this is: When will the very last star cease to exist? :)

Regards
SillyWabbit :)

Martin,

You are correct on Desert Storm and partially correct on Iraqi Freedom. A soldier has been recommended for the Medal of Honor but it has not yet been awarded.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back