• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you are afraid to post about.

Wabbit said:
Ruby, you can always use spoiler tags if you want to talk details!

just insert a / in the second tag in front of the s. Any text contained in between the spoiler tags will be hidden until you drag the mouse over it.
Thanks for that wabbit :D

Since nobody has mentioned her, I'll bring her name into this thread....

Anne Rice

I loved Interview... and Lestat. Queen of the Damned was ok, and I sort of got tired of Vampires after that, but the first two, in my opinion, were great fun to read.

Interview With The Vampire was good, The Vampire LeStat okay, Queen of the Damned laughable, Tale of the Body Thief unnecessary, and Memnoch The Devil was good. I tried a couple of the other vampire stories but never finished any of them.

i loved interview with the vampire and read all the rest but can't really remember them, maybe that says something. i also really enjoyed the witches of mayfair, mostly because of the strong female characters.

Stewart said:
Interview With The Vampire was good, The Vampire LeStat okay, Queen of the Damned laughable, Tale of the Body Thief unnecessary, and Memnoch The Devil was good. I tried a couple of the other vampire stories but never finished any of them.

Yup, the first two were good, after that it all went down hill. She should have just let it go at that point..I was thinking about Rice yesterday while looking at news footage of New Orleans btw.

francesca said:
Its a waste of time giving Timmy an ice-cream as he just swallows it all one gulp...Ginger Beer and slabs of fruit cake from a friendly farmers wife....Stinker...Uncle Quentin's rages...Anne making house in a cave....love it, love it, love it..........
Bagpuss said:
Me too! (where is the blusing smiley?!) I still have all 21 books and reread them all recently. My son (10) tried one, but declared it 'boring'!
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! :p

I have nearly the full set also, but I always seem to be re-reading Five go to Smugglers Cove . It's my absolute favourite :eek:

No one should be afraid to post messages about what they like to read. We all have our reasons for reading what we do. Our selections fulfill our specific needs and no one has the right to judge us based on what makes us happy.

I know a lot of people did not like The Da Vinci Code. I did. Why? I usually read pretty heavy non-fiction. This book was like sorbet for the mind and I picked up a lot of interesting ideas about what topics I'd like to research for future reading.

Thanks for listening to my $.02.

I agree with the previous post in every respect. I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code too - although I found the style grated a bit, I thought the plot was well-structured and gripping. I might be slightly reluctant to bring it up in a "literary" discussion, but if you enjoy it, you enjoy it!

Isn't the whole point of an open book forum(open to whoever wants to join) to encourage readers to discuss whatever books float their boat? I know that certain genres and authors are not held in as high regard as others, but in the end, who cares? I personally have felt reluctant to mention some authors like Mercedes Lackey, Christine Feehan, and Clive Cussler..but then I remember, hey, we're all real readers here. We KNOW that just as a steady diet of cotton candy will damage the body, an overload of healthfood is still an overload, and will also damage the body..or atleast keep us from having as much fun in life as we might have if we'd tried a more rounded diet.
I'm glad to see this thread about posting books we may have been reluctant to mention before, but I think it's a shame it is even needed in a group as diverse and bright as this one. So, if I ever post my list of books read for the year, and you see some low-brow titles or authors, just bear with me-I'm having dessert with my main course .

Hmm, maybe I should bump Hot & Heavy by Sandra Hill closer to the top of Mt. TBR :D

popular books

i'm always scared to post about Dan Brown. book buffs just hate his work. especally da vinci code. i've read so many rants about that book.. *sigh* i've never finished it yet, but i liked what i read... i highly doubt he was planning to create some sort of literature revolution. i wish ppl would get off his back

i've been scared to post about Perks of being a Wallflower and harry potter before.. just b/c they're so damn popular. i've also read so many bashings about the harry potter series. i still love it 5-6 years later

i really liked the 4th when i read it.. just b/c it was a different, darker direction.. i hated the 5th. it just dragged on and on. it had no plot of its own. i still haven't touched the 6th but i heard it wasn't that great either. i hope rowling steps it up for the 7th

i bought a copy of angels and demons b/c i wanna read it before i go back to finishing da vinci code...

to many ppl are arrogant and criticise the "literary" content of new books. jeez, they're trying to make a buck with their creativity, not create a literary revolution. the concept sure worked out for Rowling

i love rowling's writing. i dont care what anyone says =P

Multiple postings

Wounded Thorns: I have moved all your multiple posts into one single post.

Can you please post all your ideas in one single post? It can be very irritating for other members to read multiple posts by a single person.

Thanks a lot :)

WoundedThorns said:
i still haven't touched the 6th but i heard it wasn't that great either.
I actually thought that the 6th book was her second best. Still doesn't quite beat out the 3rd book - that's my favourite by far.

Do people really get looked down on on here because of what books they like to read?:confused:

Is there really only certain books we can read so as to fit in?

Royal Flush said:
Do people really get looked down on on here because of what books they like to read?:confused:

No, totally not. This thread was a good discussion stimulator, but basically anything goes here. Whatever your tastes, you can find an interested crew.

Royal Flush said:

I don't think anyone means to look down on anyone else for their reading preferences. I DO think we have a very opinonated group that enjoys debate..and that isn't a bad thing. Any title thrown into the ring is fair game for discussion, and some will hate it while others love it; that's just life on the web. As for me personally, I'm not the tallest person around, so I'd have to grab a London phonebook to be tall enough to look down on anyone for their reading preferences...and that's just too far for this Kansas girl to travel to do something so silly..post about whatever books you like, we're all just here for the conversation anyway;)

bonk bonk bonk (rubber mallet on Shade's head)

Give the new boy some raisins and go back to your seat.

Back