• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you are afraid to post about.

I just thought of book I read that gives me a little twinge of embarassment whenever it comes up...

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding

... but I loved it! It was really funny and totally off the wall.

Homoeroticism in Moby Dick? Are we talking Ishmael sharing a bed with Queequeg, or is there a whole 'nother subtext I missed? I haven't read any other Melville but I gather his Billy Budd, Sailor was still more obviously gay. It became an opera by Benjamin Britten which featured only male parts (er, no pun intended as it happens), which in turn featured in Alan Hollinghurst's super-gay The Swimming-Pool Library, also a men-only work.

Irene Wilde said:
Personally, I think it would be great if you posted how you really liked the homoeroticism of "Moby Dick." It might lead to an interesting discussion of how homosexuality was addressed in literature in the pre-Stonewall days.

That would be a great thread.

Like everyone else, I think this is an excellent thread Kook!

At first, I was very timid to post on erotica, but found a way around it. Lenny seems to have an excellent hang of it.

KristoCat said:
I just thought of book I read that gives me a little twinge of embarassment whenever it comes up...

I read that too and thought it was really funny.

KristoCat said:

I read that very recently and also loved it!

I suppose my guilty secret would be Jilly Cooper for a lightweight, fun read: Riders, Rivals, Polo etc. :eek:

Irene Wilde said:
The Phantom, by Susan Kay. It is the story-behind-the-story of The Phantom of the Opera, from his birth, to his travels across Europe and points east, to the building of the Opera House, through the well-known section of his tale, to his death. It's not particularly original, seems to have been published to capitalize on the success of the stage musical, and it isn't anything I'd recommend to anyone, but I thought it was a rollicking good page-turner, and something that fed my occasional need to read chick-lit.
Ha! I read this book about a year ago and you're right, definitely a page-turner and I'll admit that I enjoyed it very much. I didn't really think of it as chick-lit at the time but... :eek:

I agree with DS that it is a shame to see Crichton's name here. I greatly enjoy his books but certainly wouldn't class him as a dirty secret :(

Halo said:
I suppose my guilty secret would be Jilly Cooper for a lightweight, fun read: Riders, Rivals, Polo etc. :eek:
I also like Jilly Cooper - Polo and The Man who made Husbands jealous would probably be my two favourites. I read Chick lit on occasion, but I am certainly not adverse to talking about the books :) Oh yes and I have mentioned quite a few times that I read Harry Potter ;)

This is a great thread, Kook :D

Books that I would never dare admit that I read (well.. until now..) are the books from the Famous Five series.

I'll still pick the occasional one up and enjoy them from time to time. :eek:

I read everything Patricia Cornwell writes because I'm attached to Kay Scarpetta and have a crush on Lucy.
I loved Olivia Joules!
I also read a TON, and i mean a TON of lesbian erotica. Every year for christmas Wifey-Poo gives me Tristian Taoromino's "Best Lesbian Erotica of..." and they go in a little drawer under the bed. I've even checked erotica out of the library.
I read a Harry Potter book once every couple of months, in no particular order.
I have YA books I got YEARS ago that I still read once in a while (Lurlene McDaniel anyone?)

and I'm also addicted to the Gilmore Girls.

sigh. I feel better now.

Prairie_Girl said:
I read everything Patricia Cornwell writes because I'm attached to Kay Scarpetta and have a crush on Lucy.
I loved Olivia Joules!
I also read a TON, and i mean a TON of lesbian erotica. Every year for christmas Wifey-Poo gives me Tristian Taoromino's "Best Lesbian Erotica of..." and they go in a little drawer under the bed. I've even checked erotica out of the library.
I read a Harry Potter book once every couple of months, in no particular order.
I have YA books I got YEARS ago that I still read once in a while (Lurlene McDaniel anyone?)

and I'm also addicted to the Gilmore Girls.

sigh. I feel better now.
I am a big fan of the scarpetta novels and there is a new 1 out in nov! :D

Prairie_Girl said:
really? Yay! I better get more Lucy this time. :mad: Trace dissapointed me.
I enjoyed Trace it wrapped a few things up,didnt think she would write a new scarpetta novel. But i shall buy it all the same! :D

I don't think I like Benton being back at all. I was actually so mad when that happened I put the book down and walked away. I was actually MAD at Cornwell, because it just didn't feel real, and there's NOTHING in the previous books to suggest that he was alive. I hated it.

Prairie_Girl said:
I don't think I like Benton being back at all. I was actually so mad when that happened I put the book down and walked away. I was actually MAD at Cornwell, because it just didn't feel real, and there's NOTHING in the previous books to suggest that he was alive. I hated it.
Always thought there was more to Benton but enough said in case any members have not read it yet! :D

Ruby, you can always use spoiler tags if you want to talk details!

just insert a / in the second tag in front of the s. Any text contained in between the spoiler tags will be hidden until you drag the mouse over it.

MonkeyCatcher said:
This is a great thread, Kook :D

Books that I would never dare admit that I read (well.. until now..) are the books from the Famous Five series.

I'll still pick the occasional one up and enjoy them from time to time. :eek:

Its a waste of time giving Timmy an ice-cream as he just swallows it all one gulp...Ginger Beer and slabs of fruit cake from a friendly farmers wife....Stinker...Uncle Quentin's rages...Anne making house in a cave....love it, love it, love it..........

francesca said:
Its a waste of time giving Timmy an ice-cream as he just swallows it all one gulp...Ginger Beer and slabs of fruit cake from a friendly farmers wife....Stinker...Uncle Quentin's rages...Anne making house in a cave....love it, love it, love it..........
Me too! (where is the blusing smiley?!) I still have all 21 books and reread them all recently. My son (10) tried one, but declared it 'boring'!

Back