• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you didn't finish

Mrs. Dalloway. I would get really confused and then forget what I was reading and it got really tedious, so I stopped. Hopefully in a few years I'll pick it up again.

Patricia Briggs' Moon Called. Oh it was terrible! I just closed the stupid book and dropped in the trash. Pure junk.

The Legend of Luke (Martin the Warrior was the only Redwall book I could finish, so I thought maybe the sequel would be good--wrong)

Heart-Shaped Box (Crap)

The Road ("Well, since the world is dead and vapid, the writing is too...you know, to help flush out the world"--Naw, see, I call that crap)

The Smoke Jumper (This actually wasn't bad, as both the writing and the characters got a sticker of approval from my hard to please ego--I guess I just put it down because nothing seemed to be happening, and Stephen King along with Alex Garland have spoiled me in the past)

Anything by Dean Koontz (I don't know why, maybe it's his writing style? I don't consider him a bad author, though, just nothing I'm interested in)

“Sophie’s World” as I remember, I started it and reached up to half of it, but I’m telling you this book is dense of information and historical philosophy. It was during my first days of philosophy readings (although you can still say I’m in the early days). I couldn’t finish it while working on my university courses.

I plan to read it from the beginning in a vacation or something. It’s a very useful book to read.

My 12th grade Humanities teacher asked everyone to read Sohpie's World during the summer before the school year started. I bought it and tried, but couldn't get beyond Plato. Now, flash forward ten years, and I've read it three times! When you get further in, you realize how amazing the story really is, and I even found all of the lectures on philosophers to be engrossing. Be sure to give it another try!

I started reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo and couldn't get beyond the first 50 pages. I also tried to read Middlemarch by George Eliot, and made it about halfway. Both of these are on my TBR pile.

Chekhov of the Suburbs

The Stories of John Cheever. Bought it so I could read his short story titled The Swimmer. (Liked the 1968 movie adaptation starring Burt Lancaster.)

I Am Not Stiller by Max Frisch. A classic, great idea, very deep - but gawd awful translation. If I could read German I could read it in the original form but the English translation I have is appalling.
If they can translate Jelinek, Suskind and Ingo Schulze then they should be able to translate Frisch.
End of complaint.

Lisey's Story

After reading Cell by Stephen King earlier this month, I picked up Lisey's Story. I bought the hardcover earlier this year & planned on reading it after the school semester... I only got 30 or so pages in, but to be honest... it just wasn't interesting. I know, 30 pages isn't that far, but normally I'm not bored 20 pages in to other King novels. Usually, I'm not bored at all.
Maybe I'll try it again in the future.

For school I never finished The Once and Future King. It was way too intimidating and I waited too long. Plus I'm not too into the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre.

I also never finished Jane Eyre. I just couldn't get into that one. Girls would probably get into it better.

I'm too much of a procrastinator during school mostly unless it's pretty good.

I haven't finished "The Painted Bird" by Jerzy Kosiński and I have no intention whatsoever of doing so. It was simply too cruel.

Couldn't finish The Time Traveller's Wife. I lost interest when the main character, Henry I think he was called, serenades Clare with a viollin. In the words of Morrisey this, "says nothing to me about my life."

I stopped reading The Russian Debutante's Handbook because it just got too ridiculous and boring.
Kinda bummed me out, seeing as I was actually really excited about it. Should have listened to my sister when she told me it was utter crap. sigh.

I haven't finished "The Painted Bird" by Jerzy Kosiński and I have no intention whatsoever of doing so. It was simply too cruel.

I finished that book several days ago.
As someone who is not squeamish whatsoever and is actually dissapointed by a lot of books for not being graphic enough, I must say The Painted Bird almost bordered on being too much. But, I really liked it.

I finished that book several days ago.
As someone who is not squeamish whatsoever and is actually dissapointed by a lot of books for not being graphic enough, I must say The Painted Bird almost bordered on being too much. But, I really liked it.

I read "Steps" by Kosinski and yeah...some parts gave me the heebie-jeebies...like that part where they beat a certain part of a male's body into a bloody pulp...:eek: :eek: :eek:

The Black Arrow

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson.

My parents bought me this when I did well in my school exams a er very long time ago.

Never got past chapter two. Have tried loads of time to better this. All have failed!

Still it looks good on the shelf.

Our Mutual Friend, Dickens. I started Reading and finished about half the book then started coming down with a case of the sleeps every time I picked it up. I think it was because I had just finished reading The Mystery of Edwin Drood and While Dickens is a good read sometimes I
can only take a small dose at a time.

The Red Tent: Anita Diamant

It wasn't the right time for me to begin this book. Someday.

Then I tried The Liars' Club: Mary Karr and again, just not in the mood for it.

Will try to open The Kite Runner tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back