• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

BOTM:Suggestions, ideas and opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We picked the November, December, and January '11 selections. The selected title for November is Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card).

Not sure how to come up with a long list but I'm reading The Valcourt Heiress by Catherine Coulter. It can be a little bit boring if you are not into romance :)

kafka on the shore- haruki murakami
the illiad- homer
complete short stories- franz kafka
the portrait of dorian grey- oscar wilde
wuthering heights- emily bronte
the road- cormac mccarthy
trainspotting- irvine welsh
hamlet- shakespeare
beyond good and evil- frederick nietzche

It sounds good to me. I'll have a look at my books tonight.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Farewell my lovely by Raymond Chandler
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Maybe at some point we can each remove books from our list of ten in order to double-up on books from someone else's list.

If I might be so bold...something about this system is not working quite right. The last few months there has been virtually no discussion about the chosen books. Perhaps we are not choosing the right books? Or the folks who contributed ideas are not able to post about them?

We've tried various different ways to choose the BOTM and, although it's true that some worked better than others, it always comes a time when the interest in it diminishes. This is one of those times...

I was thinking we could skip August and maybe September and see if there was more interest in restarting in the Fall.

Sounds like a good idea. It just appeared that all the folks who voted for the books have disappeared.

I'm basically lazy so if the book isn't one I want to read, I'm not going to go out of my way to read it. Bad girl!

Interest in book discussions comes and goes, depending upon people. Having a proactive and interested discussion leader each month might help. It works on Goodreads.

I have a suggestion for a book, though it's not a classic and is a cozy. I recently read five books in the Haunted Bookshop series and love them. They have a modern female protagonist and the ghost of a 1949 P.I. who helps solves the cases. The author is Alice Kimberly and the first one in the series is The Ghost and Mrs. McClure.

There's also another interesting series I found recently. The protagonist is a chef in the White House and the first book is State of the Onion.

Jazzy

How about some modern cozy mysteries, such as The Haunted Bookshop Mysteries by Alice Kimberly or, there's a new series about a White House chef, the first being State of the Onion. These are clever, well-constructed mysteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back