• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting, skycat.

I just finished charlemagne, by matthias becher. I would not recommend it, it's pretty fucking boring. my teacher made me read it.

Presently reading Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs. Really gruesome dead bodies and very detailed forensics. Also reading The Man From St Petersburg by Ken Follett, which is a bit dry so far, but it's early in the story yet.
Plus there is the book of Ray Bradbury short stories (Driving Blind) that I occasionally dip into.
And Word Freak (still) by Stefan Fatsis.

letterHead said:
Plus there is the book of Ray Bradbury short stories (Driving Blind) that I occasionally dip into.

I have this but I only bought it because he was coming to sign and I bought every hard cover I could find. :eek: Never read it, any good?

Can't decide what to read next, maybe I'll pick up that Murakami that keeps coming up or maybe I'll keep on my poetry kick and swim through some more Tennyson.

Gave up on Ian M Bank's Against a Dark Background a quarter of the way through (about 100 pages) as it wasn't appealing to me despite enjoying Player of Games

Since then have read:

RL Stephenson's The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - I quite like the victorian style of writing. Popular culture seems to have dented the impact of this book somewhat (you probably all know the connection of Jekyll and Hyde), but it's still a good read.

Agatha Christie's And then there were none - Hmm possisble, though improbable. A lot like John Dickson Carr's novels in a way. Still, engaging stuff

Frederick Forsyth's Day of the Jackal - It reads like a number of thrillers I've read. Guess this is one of those that inspires a number of authors to write similar novels. The first half with all the setup is a tad overlong, and a bit tedious with the amount of detail portrayed- get to the action already. The 2nd half managed to hold my attention, though wasn't the veritable page turner I was expecting from the hype.

Yeah, I found Against a Dark Background to be not as good as the other culture books. Most of the reviews it got say how wonderful it is. I thought it might just be me :D lol

Regards
SillyWabbit

Last read: Star of The Sea - Joseph O'Connor. Thoroughly recommended.
Current read: Lazy Bones - Mark Billingham. I have not read this author before and am only mildly interested 100 pages through.
Nex read: Wolves of the Calla - Stephen King. Hopefully this will be my next read - I am desperately waiting for the paperback to come out. The hardback is just too big to read on the train!

im reading Fools Fate by Robin Hobb at the moment! i got it 2 days ago and im half way through! my eyes are popping out! its really good as it brings the farseer trilogy and the liveship trilogy together and is the climax to all three trilogies. (including the tawnyman trilogy) really good book. my kinda stuff :)

amy :D

Oh man, know im sure im gonna have to read the Liveship series as well (ive finished Farseer trilogy and was going to go straight onto Tawnyman trilogy)!!

Phil

I just finished the first one, Assassin's Apprentice, on saturday. I'll give myself a break before going on to the rest of them though. Started The Line Of Polity by Neal Asher yesterday, and the killing has already begun. Hurrah for Asher. It's a sequel to Gridlinked though, and it's been a while since I read that, so a few of the references are whizzing over my head, but never mind, there are still plenty of destructive alien critters with bone crunching jaws to keep me distracted.

Just started Welcome to the World, Baby Girl this morning. I love Fannie Flagg's stories and can't wait to get further into this one!

phil t - i went straight on to the tawnyman trilogy from the farseer trilogy but only got as far as the first 2 books of the tawnyman trilogy as the Fools Fate wasnt out yet. so i read the liveship books and now im on the fools fate. i love all the trilogies but the farseer books are my fave! i just have a soft spot for Fitz :D :eek:
the liveship books really do come into the the tawnyman books. you recognise characters from them in the second tawnyman book! hopefully the end of the fools fate will give an end to the main characters of the liveship trilogy but so far i doubt it! i dont want them to end!! :(

amy :D

Litany said:
Fannie Flagg? That has to be one of the best names ever. :D
I don't believe it is her real name, but I have no idea what her real name is...however, it is quite fitting. She writes southern fiction. She used to be on Match Game and she is sooo funny, just the type of person to pick out the name Fannie Flagg.

Finished Bujold's A Civil Campaign. Not much 'science' to the fiction this time (Bujold's written this particular one as a romantic comedy - she seems to change genres with each book to keep things interesting). Still, an enyoyable fluffy read.

Also read through a load of books for finals, but you don't want to hear about those.

Started on Clive Barker's Imajica

I'm about to crack open Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I've been reading mysteys & thrillers for a stretch now and thought this would be a nice change.
I think a non-fiction or a classic might be in store after this.

RaVeN

i just started "The Seduction of Water" by Carol Goodman. It seems pretty good so far. Has anyone read it? Also reading "Big Fish". i didn't see the film, but i love Tim Burton and wanted to see it. i'm loving the book. :)

graydaisy said:
i just started "The Seduction of Water" by Carol Goodman. It seems pretty good so far. Has anyone read it? Also reading "Big Fish". i didn't see the film, but i love Tim Burton and wanted to see it. i'm loving the book. :)

yeah, big fish! i'm planning to read that.. i'd like to read it before seeing the movie :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back