• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

Before I finally put you on ignore SillyWabbit, I just want to say that I find your attitude here nothing short of hypocritical. In previous times I have talked about - what as see as - your torrid posting technique and, on more than one occasion, you have replied (to paraphrase) with if you don't like it then don't read it or reply to it. Now, people on this thread are happily discussing a book - they don't have to like it - and it's you, in your intellectual inferiority (as you call it) and hypocrisy that comes to this thread saying is this still going or let it die when, obviously, it's you who has nothing to say. In that case, please don't respond to this thread.

Earlier you called me rude and condescending: I prefer to think that I'm not rude, just honest and I'm willing not to suck up to any one. As for "condescending" - I wouldn't have thought so, it's just that you are obviously a few levels below, in much the same way I'm below others.

And now I'll happily put you on ignore - don't think I can bare to read your childish posts: games, bunnies, and pretending to be the husband of the forum's kids. Grow up!

I just want to add that this is a book forum and not a place for your (and your imaginary cabal's) spam.

Therefore, people come here to discuss books and, as people come to books at different times, they want to talk about them. I'm sure you wouldn't be saying is this still going if we hit page 10 of a Gabriel Garcia Marquez thread. The fact is that people read different books as different times - gangs of readers don't sit on a starting line, wait for the bang, and then read the book and all discuss at the finish line. I read this book ages ago, others are coming to it now. It has a thread open for discussion which will be ongoing: folk still talk about Dickens, Joyce, Bronte, etc. which implies you'd shut down any thread related to a book a few years old.

So, to grudgingly quote somebody: if you don't like it then don't read it. ;)

:eek: :D

Oh dear :) *shakes head*

Huh? What drugs are you on??? I was JOKING. You know, Joking? LET IT DIE was a joke. But then, you can't read this can you!? Well, go and be all mature and put me on ignore. nanananan, I can't hear you!!!! That's very mature! :)

Guys. Chill out!

Take the personal differences somewhere else.

This thread can stay open as long as people keep reading the book and want to discuss it.

Darren, I AM chilled! It's Abu that is not chilled! First he attacked me by calling me childish and now he missread my joke regarding the thread with my "let it die" comment. For which I get an insulting rant and put on ignore. NOT that I care, but it's just a shame he bahaves and thinks that way :)

Have nothing against this thread OR stew. :)

Abulafia said:
It's not about fun. If you want fun when reading read humour or comics.

Someone call the Book Police, because I had fun reading it.
I know I'm not supposed to. How dare I enjoy myself? What's this world comming to when someone actually has fun reading a book and expresses their, dare I say it, joy? (I'll rot in Hell for that)

Quick, someone destroy all the books before I get any more wild ideas of contenting myself.....or did someone else try that all ready?

RaVeN

"Although our goal is to help people separate fact from fiction, we realise that simply correcting Brown's ideas by trotting out the traditional scholarship would be dull and horribly pretentious," McBreen added.

Interesting.

Roumanet considers "The Da Vinci Code" a clever crime thriller, but is worried that readers are not critical enough.

"What he says in the book is fiction," said the priest. "I realise that a lot of people really take it as established truth, but that is not at all the case."

Roumanet believes the public's infatuation with the book is a passing fad. He notes wryly that the increased flow of visitors has so far brought no material gains for the church, parts of which are in dire need of restoration.

Also interesting.

Well I'm new to this forum, but I just want to say that I loved reading DVC about 6 months ago.
It took me about one night to get through it in danish and after that I bought it to my mother as a birthday present.
She also read it in one night and thinks it's absolutely fantastic.
I've just been on a 4 day trip to London and I went to see the Temple Church that Dan Brown has described in the book, but I could only see the outside of the church because it was closed even if my lonely planet London said it was open from wednesday to sunday.
The church is really beautiful and I'm looking forward to my next trip to London, where I hope that I'll be able to see the inside of the church.
While I was in London I bought Angels and Demons as well as DVC in a 3 for 2 offer 'cause I have been wanting to read both of them in the original language (the last book was P.J.Tracy: Want To Play?).

Yours Sincerly

Medic_dk

Beep...beep...beep...beep...beep

*doc wabbit looks up from the thread and nods*

Yes, this thread is STILL alive! :D

PS: This is a joke.
pps: No animals were harmed during the creation of this post.

I think it's better at least that people are searching, and replying to this one post, than starting 50 different new posts on it.

Animals were harmed in the making of this post--lots of cute fuzzy ones.

There are so many replies to this, and I haven't read them all so apologies if I repeat what has been said.

I read this book in about 3 days, so I was quite gripped by it! By the end of the book I was disappointed with the clichés and only really got into the book due to the interesting faction information. I was also dissapointed at the lack of character development in the book, I guess I'm used to reading Iain Banks where you get a lot of emphasis on the characters - but this book wasn't really focussing on that area, more to do with the history and the plot.

I don't think I'll pursue reading another Dan Brown unless it is packed with as much interesting history.

I'm glad I read the book as its opened up an interest for me in religion, especially paganism (I'm not religious, although would say I am Muslim if I had to give a religion, but that is like saying I'm British because that’s what my passport says, but I don't feel British!).

I'm also really keen to read more about religious symbology, and wouldn't mind reading about Da Vinci. So if anyone has any good recommendations please PM me!

Rew said:
I don't think I'll pursue reading another Dan Brown unless it is packed with as much interesting history.

There are other novellists out there who are better at implementing history ito their novels. Dan Brown is literature's equivalent Britney Spears - so awfully dire yet everyone buys their products becasue both have huge financial backing and marketing departments behind them promising them the world.

I'm glad I read the book as its opened up an interest for me in religion, especially paganism (I'm not religious, although would say I am Muslim if I had to give a religion, but that is like saying I'm British because that’s what my passport says, but I don't feel British!).

Nothing wrong with that. The fact Brown mentions about pagans originally meaning country-dweller (or something) is one of the few facts he gets right in the book without twisting it to fit his narrative.

I'm also really keen to read more about religious symbology, and wouldn't mind reading about Da Vinci.

Back