• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

It will be interesting to see how well the 'big screen' version does too - Going on the booksales and media interest.....

Stewart said:
We already know you have a shelf full of well-thumbed Black Lace titles.
Well, nooo. But the fluffiest thing I tried to read lately was "You Should See Me Now." I think I bought it because I saw a big promotional poster for it /never again/. It had none, repeat none, of the virtues of TDVC and was so light I almost had to hold it down with both hands. I gagged about 1/4 way through and gave up. So I stand by my belief that TDVC has quite a bit going for it. And I forgot to mention a teaser love interest also. And the movie? Just wait until they start swinging those swords, and car chases upside down across the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, then straight out through the main aisle of St. Peters. Man what a movie! And I might go see it. :eek:
Peder

Me like Tom Hanks:) I guess I should read the book too. It has been on my wishlist for an age now and finally I have my very own copy. And I also prefer to read the book before watching the movie.

Peder said:
I stand by my belief that TDVC has quite a bit going for it. And I forgot to mention a teaser love interest also.

The teaser love interest in The Da Vinci Code may have been a good point for Brown to work with, especially given that he is writing a series of Robert Langdon novels. As it happens though, the first Langdon novel, Angels & Demons, featured a love interest called Victoria which came to fruition by the end of the novel. Similarly, with The Da Vinci Code, Langdon met Sophie at the beginning of the novel and their will they?/won't they? relationship lasted, again, for the duration of the novel. I have no doubt that when The Solomon Key appears in 2007 that we will once again have a new female companion which will be a teaser love interest for five hundred pages or so or, another way, twenty four hours.

I personally believe it would be more interesting to see the characters develop over a series, for Brown to explore the dynamic between Langdon and his female partners over the course of a few books. But, when he is writing to formula, we all know we are not likely to see that.

Peder said:
Just wait until they start swinging those swords, and car chases upside down across the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, then straight out through the main aisle of St. Peters. Man what a movie! And I might go see it. :eek:
Peder
Oh! Oh! Sword Fights.......Scaramouche!!:cool:

Zolipara said:
Its quite simple. Whenever you have a book/movie etc that attracs so much attention there will be a lot of love/hate posts about it. Right now its TDVC that everyone "have to read". Every book forum has a lot of posts about this book by people that liked it, naturally there will be posts by those that dont like it. Both camps seem to be equally unable to use the search forum here.

Yeah, I can see that, but I guess my personality makes it hard for me to understand it. If I don't like something, or think its poor quality, it just doesn't interest me; I'd rather spend time on things I enjoy. Posting about a books flaws when it receives undeserved praise I can understand, the need to patrol the board in case someone expresses an interest in broad-brush escapist thrillers I find plain bizarre; but whatever blows your skirt up I guess...

How are you finding "Trout fishing In America" btw? Richard Brautigan is an odd little writer isn't he. I've got a fair few of his books sitting on my shelves, and I've no real idea why, as I can't recall thinking they were all that appealing. However, if you are going to explore further, I can remember that "Sombrero Fallout" & "A Confederate General from Big Sur" were the ones are thought were his best.

Regards,

K-S

Stewart said:
I personally believe it would be more interesting to see the characters develop over a series, for Brown to explore the dynamic between Langdon and his female partners over the course of a few books. But, when he is writing to formula, we all know we are not likely to see that.
Stewart,
There ya go! Talkin about merit again. j/k j/k :D
Yes, I agree, and I think that is partly why I lost interest about half-way through. Without development, everything just gets to sound the same. The car chases get repetitious. And will they escape? Of course they will! And will they solve this puzzle? Of course they will. And will there be a spy among the good guys? Of course there will. And will he be highly placed? Of course he will! But by then I didn't care anymore. I suppose the thing to say is that I didn't see enough "new" going on between the formulaic parts to carry my interest over those obviously predictable parts. In other words, no movement, no creation, no complexity, and exactly no development!
But, I'll repeat, that is only my personal reaction, and maybe it is jaded after having seen and read so many similar scenarios.
Peder

i read over what i've posted before on this thread, and well, i must say my opinion changed a bit. I've done some research and reading into some of the mistakes dan brown made, and i also now find out a bit, for lack of a better adjective, annoying, reading 400 pages of them traveling around 2 countries and so much action just to get back to Paris, to the louvre, which is where it all started.

And although I was born into a Christian family, I dont' find this blasphemy. Firstly, i'm not overly religious, and secondly, this is fiction. I do enjoy reading "what if?" novels like this, and it's quite interesting decoding the riddles and seeing how dan brown worked art into it, but what are the chances of it being ture? as you say, theres' a reason it's in the fiction section.

Peder said:
And the movie? Just wait until they start swinging those swords, and car chases upside down across the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, then straight out through the main aisle of St. Peters. Man what a movie! And I might go see it. :eek:
Peder

Peder, you're killing me again. ;)

"When the 1960s ended, he was the baby thrown out with the bath water," said his friend, Tom McGuane. "He was a gentle, troubled, deeply odd guy."

brautigan.jpg

Thanks for the trip down memeory lane, K-S.

Peder said:
Then I would connect my second point to my first point above, which would mean that most people who read the book enjoyed it -- and by an overwhelming majority -- in order to generate such a firestorm of interest to buy the book (to keep the analogy with a burning forest.) 40 million trees is a lot of trees to go up in flames!
I disagree that the number sold reflects that a large majority of people who bought the book enjoyed it. I think that a lot of the hype surrounding the book was created by the contraversial content of the book, which had been reported about and caused a reaction from the Church, and which was not affected by weither people enjoyed it or not. I won't argue that most of the people who bought it enjoyed it - it think that it is most certainly true - I'm just not too sure about the "overwhelming majority" part, and about the statement that "millions of people can't be wrong".

Finally, and BTW, please allow me to suggest as politely as I may, that, if we are talking about elitism, then I am hoping that you might reread your post with that in mind. The masses?
I am fully aware of the meaning of the word "masses" and fail to see how the use of it makes me elitist. Most of the talk to far has been of the "average joe", and that has not picked up any complaint, so why should it be inappropriate to use the term "masses"? I was not referring to just Dan Brown lovers in that term, but the entire population of Earth (most of which would be included in the term masses). I include myself in the term masses - and still fail to see how that makes me elitist :confused:

HermioneWeasley said:
And although I was born into a Christian family, I dont' find this blasphemy. Firstly, i'm not overly religious, and secondly, this is fiction. I do enjoy reading "what if?" novels like this, and it's quite interesting decoding the riddles and seeing how dan brown worked art into it, but what are the chances of it being ture? as you say, theres' a reason it's in the fiction section.
Although I'm not Christian, I can understand why the Chruch views it as blasphemous - it's fiction, sure, but at the beginning Brown states that all of the "revelations" that the plot is based around (such as Jesus marrying Mary and such) are fact - heavily researched fact at that (a statement which has since proven to be false.)

MC.
I guess we'll just never know how many people who read the book liked it.
And I am certainly not going to try to prove that you are elitist, especially as you say are not and I believe you. I suppose use of the phrase "the masses" just has a different ring to me than to you.
Peder

MonkeyCatcher said:
I disagree that the number sold reflects that a large majority of people who bought the book enjoyed it.

o.k.

I won't argue that most of the people who bought it enjoyed it - it think that it is most certainly true -

...Eh?:confused: :confused: :confused:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

So, you disagree that the majority of people who bought the book enjoyed it? But you aren't arguing that most of the people(i.e.-a majority) who bought it enjoyed it??

Back