• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

SFG75 said:
o.k.
...Eh?:confused: :confused: :confused:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

So, you disagree that the majority of people who bought the book enjoyed it? But you aren't arguing that most of the people(i.e.-a majority) who bought it enjoyed it??
Firstly, note the large majority (one small word changes the whole meaning of the first sentence). Secondly, I was not arguing against his point that a majority enjoyed the book, but against the volume of that majority, and the reasoning that lead to that statement.

;)

Peder said:
MC.
I guess we'll just never know how many people who read the book liked it.
And I am certainly not going to try to prove that you are elitist, especially as you say are not and I believe you. I suppose use of the phrase "the masses" just has a different ring to me than to you.
Peder
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree, Peder - and thank you for such a courteous, civil post (something which it seems is lacking in this thread :D ) I don't see myself as elitist at all - a huge majority of the books that I read are mainstream bestsellers, and I even enjoyed TDVC when I first read it :eek: :p

Peder said:
But the fluffiest thing I tried to read lately was "You Should See Me Now." I think I bought it because I saw a big promotional poster for it /never again/. It had none, repeat none, of the virtues of TDVC and was so light I almost had to hold it down with both hands. I gagged about 1/4 way through and gave up.

Ah yes, by the estimable Cecilia Ahern, daughter of Irish prime minister Bertie Ahern. I queued up in a bookstore last year for an hour to get a copy of that damn book signed for my sister. She (Cecilia Ahern, not my sister) is about 4 feet 10 and looks 12 years old.

Shade said:
Ah yes, by the estimable Cecilia Ahern, daughter of Irish prime minister Bertie Ahern. I queued up in a bookstore last year for an hour to get a copy of that damn book signed for my sister. She (Cecilia Ahern, not my sister) is about 4 feet 10 and looks 12 years old.
Shade,
Many thanks! Yes! That was the other reason I bought the book -- out of curiousity that it was by the Irish PM's daughter!! I had quite forgotten. So she nailed two of us! :eek:
Unbelievable!
Peder

Peder said:
... the Irish PM's daughter!! I had quite forgotten. So she nailed two of us! :eek:
Unbelievable!
Peder

...that's the second time in this thread you've tried to lure me into posting one of my unfunny pictures...don't think I haven't sussed your game...

I think I'm right in saying that R o t f a l o l t i c =
ariele_broken_toe.jpg
...but I could be wrong, I never could keep up with the hip-kid lingo...

Kenny Shovel said:
...but I could be wrong, I never could keep up with the hip-kid lingo...
Kenny,
Ya know? This place could use a glossary, and anyone asked about their vernacular would then have to enter the definition. It would be a lot cleaner than the on-line slang dictionary I now use (I think).
But anyway, naw,
ROTFALOLTIC = rolling around on the floor, dying of hilarity
Toes! = lying stock still dead on the floor, knocked over in amazement (local TBF)
Although, come to think of it, toes! could mean about the same as "You could have knocked me over with a feather!" and if it had developed that way, who knows, it might have been "Feather!" :)
Ya gotta keep up with these things! :rolleyes: :cool: :)
Peder

Kenny's baby toe appears to have been seriously stubbed. Don't you just hate it when that happens? This incident would be deserving of a fit of rolling on the floor crying out loud 'til I laughed!

MonkeyCatcher said:
Firstly, note the large majority (one small word changes the whole meaning of the first sentence). Secondly, I was not arguing against his point that a majority enjoyed the book, but against the volume of that majority, and the reasoning that lead to that statement.

;)

Ahhhhh, thank you. Between that and Peder's weird hip-of the day "ROTOFLGJFHEROWFGHJ:DFJO:HJ" posts, I am a wanderer in a sandstorm.;) :D

SFG75 said:
Ahhhhh, thank you. Between that and Peder's weird hip-of the day "ROTOFLGJFHEROWFGHJ:DFJO:HJ" posts, I am a wanderer in a sandstorm.;) :D

Is YCKMOWAF in there someplace? :D

Far as I'm concerned, MC has one of the best minds on the forum. I'm actually counting on her and her ilk to save the planet in the years to come.

("Ilk", not elk. I don't even know if she owns an elk. ;) )

Peder said:
... naw,
ROTFALOLTIC = rolling around on the floor, dying of hilarity
Toes! = lying stock still dead on the floor, knocked over in amazement (local TBF)...

...proof, if I needed it, of my continuing drift from hip-kid towards hip-replacement...

I'm new here so I'm going to go ahead and add my opinion eventhough I know there are pages of discussion before this.

I'm not sure what the tone of this thread is, but I imagine it doesn't put Dan Brown in the best light. Anyways, here is what I felt about The Da Vinci Code.

One of my old roommates bought the book soon after release and loved it. He went on to buy the other Brown books, and I decided to give his books a try. For some reason, I have this thing where I like reading an author's books in publishing order, so I told myself I would read all four Brown books with TDVC last.

I started off with Digital Fortress. Not a bad book, pretty entertaining, but average at best. A couple twists suprised me and I went on to Deception Point. I felt it was a little better, but quickly realized the same plot twist occured. I then went on to Angel and Demons which I didn't care for all that much. By this point I figured out Brown's formula, and there were no real suprises.

Finally I read TDVC and honestly I enjoyed it. I thought it was a fun read, and one that I knocked out pretty quickly in an afternoon. I think the plot will make for a good movie. That said, I'm also a bit curious on why the book is so popular. Sure its a fun thriller, but its also the exact same plot as the other three with a different setting and such.

KD2005 You have the right idea in reading an author's work in sequence. And the only real reason I can come up with for the extreme popularity of Brown's work is the method of Marketing! Because IMO, the book is no better or worse than hundreds of other novels out there struggling.

I didn't like it for a number of reasons, but partially because of the marketing and hype, I did buy it. Its one of the few books I've given away.

kd2005 said:
That said, I'm also a bit curious on why the book is so popular. Sure its a fun thriller, but its also the exact same plot as the other three with a different setting and such.
KD2005
That's probably why the book is so popular. The man has found the gold mine and I would guess he has no intention of digging in a different spot. All authors should be so lucky!
Peder

Back