• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

Well folks, I have recently re-read The Da Vinci Code and my opinion on the "book" still stands:

Essentially, it's just a poorly-written, pseudointellectual mess with dialogue straight out of a soap opera. Amateurish, at best -- one of, if not the most overhyped book ever written. I can't for the life of me understand why millions enjoyed this babbling garbage. Such a damn shame too, considering how much potential it had to be great literature. The Da Vinci Code's premise is intriguing; the execution, on the other hand, is complete filth.

Thanks for listening. :D

The answer is that millions aren't readers and they don't know any better.

I keep reminding myself that every reader is in a different developmental stage, and that inside some of those Dan Brown fans lie the souls of those yearning to discover Umberto Eco.

I keep reminding myself that every reader is in a different developmental stage, and that inside some of those Dan Brown fans lie the souls of those yearning to discover Umberto Eco.

Very well put!. If that isn't the greatest example of progression, then I don't know what is.

There seems to be an explosion of books about the Templars lately: The Last Templar - Raymond Khouri, Grimpow - Rafael Abalos, Non nobis - Hanny Alders etc.

I'm not going to give an opinion on 'The Da Vinci Code' one way or the other. However, I am constantly amazed by the number of people I meet who HAVE read the book...and they discuss it as if it were fact, or at least theoretically possible.
It's fiction.

Brown gathers information from many different fields of expertise, places the action in a wonderful location, and creates a poor narrative. The lead characters were mouthpieces to facts and figures rather than being a part of the story.
While I was drawn by topics like the divine feminine, mythology, and art, the story is hampered by clichés and repetitiveness.

I didn't loathe The Da Vinci Code, but I won't be reading Dan Brown's other novels.

If Brown's fans are somehow directed to Foucault's Pendulum, they may enjoy it, which I doubt, but surely they won't go after The Name of the Rose, Baudolino and The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana.

The comparison between the two authors are superficial, and Eco's highbrow novel doesn't stand a chance against Brown's countless copycats who have the most important advantage on Eco: accessability. Remember that the copycats wrote deliberately to cash in on Brown's style; Eco didn't.

I have read the Da Vinci Code, and its great! Captured my attention easily. It was full of suspense and after every chapter it left you hanging, hoping for whats going to come next. It was very well written. By far the #1 book I've read in this genre.

~Midnight~

Are you sure your initials aren't 'DB'?
Next, you'll be telling us about your Potter collection...(lol)

It was full of suspense
It was certainly full of something beginning with 's' but it wasn't suspense. I'm sure most readers were about ten chapters, if not more, ahead of Dan Brown and Langdon in what was going to happen. It was predictable nonsense. My favourite moment is the ridiculous jaw-dropping of Sophie Neveu when she learns that 'rose' is an anagram of 'Eros' yet she hardly batted an eyelid through all the pseudo-history Teabing had been spouting off with occasional interjections from cardboard Bob.

Well, maybe I was a bit harsh back there. It seems like this is the situation with Dan Brown's work: Either you love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Self-righteous readers are funny, especially when they're adults.

Anyhow, I read The Da Vinci Code and enjoyed it, but not enough so as to where I'd go out of my way to read anything else from Dan Brown. The writing style wasn't exactly superb, but the idea behind the story pulled me along to the finish.

However, if someone does enjoy this novel full-heartedly, why berate them for it? A guy writes a novel and makes millions off it; sure, it isn't great, but at least he did something.

Too many would-be writers here can't seem to get off their high-horse, and I think a big part of it is that a lot of these would-be writers (I can't say names), are jealous to see something they think they can outdo outselling anything that they could even hope to conjure up. But now I'm just pointing fingers again.

However, if someone does enjoy this novel full-heartedly, why berate them for it? A guy writes a novel and makes millions off it; sure, it isn't great, but at least he did something.

.......and it took him a few attempts before one of his novels sold millions. To many people are reading to much into The Da Vinci Code, but then that is what has helped it sell millions.

I also read and loved it. If you do your research, you will find that a lot of the topics touched on in the text have a basis in reality and are not just nonsense. The movie wasn't nearly as good though.

Back