• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

Dogmatix said:
Shade you have a good point and Stewart had many. Of course there are a multitude of flaws with the book and Stewart did argue them well. It just seemed that Stewart's post had an undercurrent of insult to the readers, those that liked the book, as well as to the book itself. I didn't think that was very nice.

I hold my ground that this was a good yarn despite its "flaws"

Dogmatix, you should read some of this thread to get a taste for what some here think.

There are some very surprising ideas of what "good" is, and, what it should be.

Amazingly enough, some feel that it would be better to have millions of people not read at all, rather than read TDVC. :confused: :confused:

Dogmatix said:
As a new member I apparently haven't witnessed the insults from the pro Dan Brown side

How about these, from this very thread:

zen said:
really, raffaellabella, just what was wrong with this book in your esteemed opinion?

Robert said:
It probably hasn’t occurred to many of you, being literature elitist and all...

Bountyhunter said:
The uber-intellectuals ... Geez, shut up

Anyway, moving on (or rather, backward...)

Motokid said:
some feel that it would be better to have millions of people not read at all, rather than read TDVC

Moto, stop! You're making me feel all warm and fuzzy again...

Seventeen people have posted in this thread. The chances that we would all agree on almost any topic are small. The goal of an internet forum isn't usually to reach consensus, but to collect a range of views.

Mari said:
Seventeen people have posted in this thread. The chances that we would all agree on almost any topic are small. The goal of an internet forum isn't usually to reach consensus, but to collect a range of views.

Oh, consensus will be reached, oh yes it will. It will be reached when everyone agrees that Dan Brown is the world's greatest writer and literary figure of our day.:)

Dogmatix said:
Sigh...

World peace would be easier than getting us all to agree.

We don't all have to agree though - if we did, I think there would be little point to having discussions.:)

I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, but I don't feel like it is some fine work of literature - and it's not meant to be. It's just an entertaining read. I don't understand why so many people have such strong opinions on it, or feel like they have to bash it relentlessly. :rolleyes: If you don't like it, why spend so much time posting about it, or starting a thread on it. People seem to be jumping on the bandwagon, just dying to put their hand up to say "I didn't like it!!!!", as though it's some criminal offence to be "caught" liking it. :rolleyes: Is it some kind of teenaged rebellion against anything that has mass appeal?? :rolleyes: It's so freakin' boring! :rolleyes: If you truly don't like it, then why go to the trouble of starting a thread about it, and announcing to the world that you don't like Dan Brown! Yawn... Spend your energy on writing a post about something you enjoyed instead. :rolleyes:

Ok, rant over. :eek: :p

"Twas a dark and stormy night and the silhouette with eyes and white hair stole across the dankish moor......"

angerball said:
We don't all have to agree though - if we did, I think there would be little point to having discussions.:)

I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, but I don't feel like it is some fine work of literature - and it's not meant to be. It's just an entertaining read. I don't understand why so many people have such strong opinions on it, or feel like they have to bash it relentlessly. :rolleyes: If you don't like it, why spend so much time posting about it, or starting a thread on it. People seem to be jumping on the bandwagon, just dying to put their hand up to say "I didn't like it!!!!", as though it's some criminal offence to be "caught" liking it. :rolleyes: Is it some kind of teenaged rebellion against anything that has mass appeal?? :rolleyes: It's so freakin' boring! :rolleyes: If you truly don't like it, then why go to the trouble of starting a thread about it, and announcing to the world that you don't like Dan Brown! Yawn... Spend your energy on writing a post about something you enjoyed instead. :rolleyes:

Ok, rant over. :eek: :p

Cheers to you angerball. Nicely said.

I thought the point of a discussion forum was to share varying views. Where is it written we can only say nice things about any given book? Seems to me like I've seen plenty of folks voice disgust over a wide variety of reading material. Why is this book excempt?

I agree that the point of a discussion is to share different views. However, there seems to be something about this book that makes it impossible for a lot of people to argue their viewpoint without criticising the intellect of the people who enjoyed it. :confused: Don't ask me why this should be so, it's just something I've noticed over many threads on this and other forums...

Argue over book=good stimulating debate
Argue over intellect=bad mudslinging.

My statement should have been more clear. It should have said:

World peace would be easier than getting us to agree to get along.

Or if you prefer:
World peace would be easier than getting us to agree to politely disagree.

Let's play nice and use our indoor voices.:eek:

The day someone can give a lengthy reasoning as to why this particular book is good then we can be all conversational about it. But if you're only response to it is along the lines of omg I jus red this an it were kewl!!!!!!!! omg der wer no ponies in it but thats ok coz it woz smart and kewl!!!!!!!, then it doesn't carry much weight.

Stewart said:
You seem to be under the sad (and sorely mistaken) impression that if something is a bestseller then it is automatically good. McDonalds are quite popular; are they good for you? Similarly Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code is a very popular book. It’s not good though.

No sir, I am not under that impression. After reading it though, I thought it was interesting and pretty good, dare I say.

Shade: I obviously struck a nerve with you since you felt the need to reply to me not once, but twice. Mission accomplished, I s'pose.

Bountyhunter said:
After reading it though, I thought it was interesting and pretty good, dare I say.

But what, in your opinion, made it interesting and pretty good? That's the bit that's missing from the pro- supporters.

seems exactly what is missing from the anti side of things here as well.. like in the first post to this thread for example, the one i responded to originally....

and really Stewart, i did not say i thought this book was good, merely asked why it was thought to be bad, especially from a read of the first page only. all conclusions you jumped to are your own entirely.

i did read this book, i thought it was fair for the genre, maybe if the religious factions had left it alone it would have subsided into obscurity a lot faster.. i only read for entertainment, and this book provided that for a few hours. i don't need to impress anyone with what i read.

I never thought anyone here felt the need to impress anyone else with what they read. And I never thought that was the purpose of discussion. I always thought that was one of the nice things about this place. Very nice. :)
Peder

angerball said:
I don't understand why so many people have such strong opinions on it, or feel like they have to bash it relentlessly.

Because the book gets a silly amount of attention, and because of the claims made by the author.

Peder said:
I never thought anyone here felt the need to impress anyone else with what they read. And I never thought that was the purpose of discussion. I always thought that was one of the nice things about this place. Very nice. :)
Peder

I hope that it true, but I wonder a bit....

Stewart said:
The day someone can give a lengthy reasoning as to why this particular book is good then we can be all conversational about it. But if you're only response to it is along the lines of omg I jus red this an it were kewl!!!!!!!! omg der wer no ponies in it but thats ok coz it woz smart and kewl!!!!!!!, then it doesn't carry much weight.

Stewart and Peder are killing me! :D

Back