• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

I've said this before and I'll say it again: The basic premise of the book is good, the execution was bad. Dan Brown didn't uncover anything we haven't heard before. The idea of Jesus being married is an old one, as old as the Gnostic Gospels and there have always been rumors about Opus Dei. My other complaint with the book is that it is written extremely bad even for a paperback that could be picked up at your local five and dime.

well, this thread hasn't been posted on in a while so i'll liven it up!

let me just put it that way: no matter how inaccurate it is, or how much a reader can guess about the plot, most people don't know history well enough to be able to spot the inaccuracies, just as most people can't guess what will happen. so they read the book as mild entertainment, then go to see the movie. so, naturally it sells-the book is popular, so people think they just HAVE to read it, and so most of them buy it, then rush out to see the movie. and of course all the companies will take advantage of this popularity to make money. so to reply to "what is the world coming to?" this isn't abnormal, it's normal to make money off something popular, or just use it to get people to look at something.

The first time I read it I had a lot of fun reading it. I was in the mood for a fast paced page turner and that's what I got. The second time I read it was for a book club discussion two years later, and it wasn't as good as a read. Much of the book's appeal is the cliffhanger after each chapter.

I found it wonderfully entertaining, but woefully slow-paced and over-written. The ideas are old and told in familiar ways, but I personally liked how he combined different myths and legends into one singular idea, even if the history is inaccurate. It was so detailed that I think he could have afforded a few minor mistakes, but he made much too many major ones.

All in all, a very exciting read, just extremely over-written.

For some reason I didn't really enjoy the book. It started out fine, but then it seemed to drag on and on. The ending was not satisfying at all, and I was a bit dissappointed. People keep telling me that Angels and Demons is a lot better, so I'll probably try that. Maybe Dan Brown will redeem himself.

savvyambrose said:
For some reason I didn't really enjoy the book. It started out fine, but then it seemed to drag on and on. The ending was not satisfying at all, and I was a bit dissappointed. People keep telling me that Angels and Demons is a lot better, so I'll probably try that. Maybe Dan Brown will redeem himself.
If you didn't like TDVC then don't bother with Angels and Demons - it's just the same story with a different location.

I enjoyed TDVC and Angels and Demons, but Monkey is right they are very, very similar. If you didn't TDVC you probably won't like A&D.

to tell the truth, all his books have pretty much the same plot: someone gets murdered, then you have to unravel a mystery while trying not to get murdered and seeing lots of people get murdered, and then you save the world.

After having both seen and read The Da Vinci Code by now, I would urge anyone who wants to see the movie, but hasn't yet, to read the book first. Not only does the book have more information-all books do-but it explains much more that doesn't even get touched on in the movie.

it was okay, in my opinion. serious overrated though, just because it was a little controversial it got way too much attention. I read it mainly to see what the fuss was about. It was an interesting book, but not the greatest I've ever read...I thought he over praised his characters. The words "and they saw just how clever the old grandfather really was" was repeated at least ten times...

I really don't understand how Dan Brown has managed to stay so far up on the best sellers list for so long. Has anyone else read the Romanov Prophacy, it was a similar idea but a much better novel.

Has anyone read Equinox by Michael White? I just finished it and it reminded me a bit of the Da Vinci Code.

Its rubbish!

Back