• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

I finished this, and would recommend it to anyone as a good casual read. It's not the sort to keep me up all night wondering about this and that, but it pleasantly filled my day.

What surprises me is that I have been recommended this book by all sorts of people, and have heard not one person mention how subversive it is to Christianity. Not that the points raised haven't been raised before, but they certainly haven't been raised by a novel, especially one that stayed on the best seller list for, what, a year and a half now. Perhaps no one else viewed it as such, or anyone who might be offended by a sharper than usual reading of Christian history is off reading that Tim LaHaye series. But I can't imagine that out of all of the millions of this book out there, some misguided conservative person didn't get all huffy and protest their local library for having a smutty book that says that Jesus wasn't divine and was married to Mary Magdelene, etc.

Thanks for spoiling it for me Mom. Just when I had plans of reading it this week too.

WAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

RaVeN
:D

What was that you said to me last night? Oh yes....

NO BISCUIT FOR YOU!! :D

RaVeN

PS...tell Wolf that you deserve a harsh spanking :D

The world's gone mad, I tell you. I've had enough of this sucky book and all who sail in her. For once this isn't a time for sporks, there's nothing for it this time but a good old fashioned book burning.

Ashlea said:
What surprises me is that I have been recommended this book by all sorts of people, and have heard not one person mention how subversive it is to Christianity.

I wouldn't say it was subversive to Christianity. Although it does cast Catholicism (and notably Opus Dei) as shady characters, any chance of subversion is ruined by changing the book's ultimate focus to a comicbook 'baddie'.

If Brown (through his characters) had said that the Vatican knowingly sits on this information and had withheld it all these years and then made them the ones chasing the Grail then it would be subversive. Teabing, to save criticism, is just another Grail Hunter.

Mile-O-Phile said:
I wouldn't say it was subversive to Christianity. Although it does cast Catholicism (and notably Opus Dei) as shady characters, any chance of subversion is ruined by changing the book's ultimate focus to a comicbook 'baddie'.
I agree that Brown did let up on the modern day church, but was still presenting the historical facts (some of which, I gather, he possibly made up) in the worst possible light. It's the sort of thing that irritates the closed minded in these parts, so I would think they'd be sure to mention it, if not protest it.

I was looking at the thread Darren posted about BBC4's Battle of the Books and, obviously was intrigued by the arguments between The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I'm was intrigued as to why Eco's The Name of the Rose should be the one to battle against when Foucault's Pendulum would be the obvious opponent. The Name of the Rose, I suppose, is Eco's best known novel, and that may be why.

Without having a link on that post for more information (I wasn't phoning the number) I went to Google to see if I could find any more information about it. I didn't find any information at all but I did find The Da Vinci Legacy - a website by a guy who plans to sue Dan Brown for plagiarism due to the hundreds of similarities between their books, The Da Vinci Legacy (1983) and The Da Vinci Code (2003).

Interesting reading. :cool:

Thanks to you fine folks here I went out and bought this and have just finished it.
I loved it and will definitely put his other books on my reading list.
I would recommend to others (I mentioned this at the beginning of the thread) John Case - The Genesis Code if you enjoyed this.
It is similar in that it is about the Catholic Church and its repression of certain things and makes you think 'what if?' Not as good as The Da Vinci Code but worth reading. Even my mother enjoyed it. :rolleyes:
Will be heading over to another site now to have a butchers at Da Vinci's 'The Last Supper'. ;)

You know, I've been reading Dan Brown's other books, and they are all VERY similar. I keep wishing he'd explore a different way of writing. The plot, the romance stories, the mystery, it all just gets old. Obviously Da Vinci is the best of them all, but they are all very similar.

liv said:
You know, I've been reading Dan Brown's other books, and they are all VERY similar. I keep wishing he'd explore a different way of writing. The plot, the romance stories, the mystery, it all just gets old. Obviously Da Vinci is the best of them all, but they are all very similar.

You need a good spanking. :mad:

Call me :D

RaVeN

All together now....

Happy death day to you.

Happy death day to you.

Happy death day Dear Leo.

Happy death day to you.

and many more

RaVeN

Sophie: Elizabeth Perkins
Bezu Fache: Rip Torn
Robert: Johnny Depp
Silas: John Lithgow

I'd have to think a while about the others.

Back