• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dens/studies that you are envious of

The problem with a clean study or one like Shaw's, is that it is too antiseptic. in Buckley's, it seems as if he has books all over as he is constantly reading and re-reading things, working on different projects at the same time. It just has that kind of feel to it.

In fairness to Shaw, it is quite possible that someone's gone over it with a dustcloth sometime in the last 60 years. But that chair... ugh.

You can still work on projects and (re)read things if you're organized. Depends on what sort of person you are, I suppose. I like things organized when I'm writing. Though I must say that during the writing process my desk and environs become a complete mess and I don't clean up until after I'm done.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Gaiman library! Even without the sofas or the desk or chair or cat!

(actually, I like it a little more when I didn't know there was a cat lounging around)

I love love love personal libraries in any shape or form! It's just that Gaiman's library picture is so awesome that it has been doing the rounds on the internet, so when someone says 'awesome personal library', the first person to come to mind is likely Gaiman's. Perhaps my comment on him becoming commercial was silly.

Anyone else has a kick-ass library?

And I dislike a desk that's too messy. I look at mine and I want to tear my hair out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Gaiman library! Even without the sofas or the desk or chair or cat!

(actually, I like it a little more when I didn't know there was a cat lounging around)

I love love love personal libraries in any shape or form! It's just that Gaiman's library picture is so awesome that it has been doing the rounds on the internet, so when someone says 'awesome personal library', the first person to come to mind is likely Gaiman's. Perhaps my comment on him becoming commercial was silly.

Anyone else has a kick-ass library?

And I dislike a desk that's too messy. I look at mine and I want to tear my hair out.

I'd be happy with a desk. Period. Reality is, if I had one, it would have 12 inches cleared for me to write on, and the rest would be stacked with stuff to refile. Plain facts for a Thursday morning:innocent:

I'd be happy with a desk. Period. Reality is, if I had one, it would have 12 inches cleared for me to write on, and the rest would be stacked with stuff to refile. Plain facts for a Thursday morning:innocent:

Dream a little, abc!

Flavorwire » A Peek Inside the Libraries of Famous Writers

Shame on Faulkner, who clearly wasn't a booklover:
240.jpeg

Now, this is what a real writer's library looks like:
04-KeithRichards.jpeg

Flavorwire » A Peek Inside the Libraries of Famous Writers

Shame on Faulkner, who clearly wasn't a booklover:
240.jpeg

Now, this is what a real writer's library looks like:
04-KeithRichards.jpeg

Several years ago, Pages magazine had a story about Keith Richards and his library. There was another shot that showed a closer-up view of some of his shelves. I remember being thrilled to see he had some of the same books I did. I remember this photo too. I could go with this room easily enough.

Didn't he cancel a tour a couple of years ago after falling off a ladder in his library while reaching for a book? Once you need ladders in your library, I think your credentials are beyond reproach.

Didn't he cancel a tour a couple of years ago after falling off a ladder in his library while reaching for a book? Once you need ladders in your library, I think your credentials are beyond reproach.

You're asking someone who trips on her own pant legs, so I might be a little biased in this regard:whistling:

I hate ladders..

I love Keith Richard's library, it has the yeah-it's-messy-but-I-know-where-everything-is look I can totally relate to.

The chair! The chair's the most important, in my opinion. One to lounge on, and one to write on. The writing chair's the most tricky, I think. I spend way too much time on one when I'm working, so I may be a little strange, but finding a great, comfortable, ergonomically agreeable chair is like looking for the holy grail for me.

I'm sitting on a workchair from Ikea that's pretty comfy right now at home, but I wouldn't sit on this one to read.

Or you could go Scandinavian and get one of those height-adjustable desks and *stand* while typing. :) I know you could get them from Ikea in Sweden, but the Ikea in my neck of the woods don't stock this model. Sigh.

ps. Yay for Billy bookcases!

Back