• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

do you keep a book list?

sanyuja said:
-- list of books I have read.
That's really good. I divided my "journal" in two: books that I want to read and books i have read. I put the date I started the book & the date I finished it. But of course I have no idea how many books I've read in my life, I don't think I could possibly think of them all, so the books I've entered on my have read list are all "starting January 2005". ;)

Like veggietarrain, I also keep a TBR list and my book wish list on Excel spreadsheets. And I've started a list at bibliophil.org (thanks for reminding me of that little gem of a site!).

I print out my wish list before I know I'm taking a trip to the bookstore, and I'll highlight the ones I really want to look for. I buy most of my books from my local used bookstore, and they're not the most organized bunch of folks, unfortunately. But hey, they're cheap!

I currently have 138 on my TBR list. And an apparent obsession with purchasing books much faster than I can read them!

This book keeping business has made me a sad (and mad) person!!
I cant believe the list of books I want to read could be so so huge :(
I guess I need to kick myself for not reading enough :mad:
Can someone please ask the authors not to publish any more books until my list reduces to half :eek: Please??

Ha ha! I feel the same way. My reading list is sooooooooo long! It makes me feel like I'm not reading enough. It's almost depressing. And there's also a lot of great books that are on my list that I still haven't read and it makes feel like I'm not as well read as I'd like to be. :(

sweetsymphony said:
And I've started a list at bibliophil.org (thanks for reminding me of that little gem of a site!).

Hey, thanks.:D I hadn't heard about that site.
Sounds cool. :)

I have a nice little journal that I list the books I have already read (from April 1999), just author and title, with each new year marked so I can see how many I read in a year. But my list of books to read is pathetically unorganized. It is just a bunch of pieces of notebook paper all gathered together. But I have been inspired to get another journal or notebook and put them all in there, to be a bit more organized.

Ok, I have a list of all the books I own with notes beside them about whether they've been read and whether I intend to trade them in for store credit at my favorite used book store, and as I trade the books in, I mark them off on my list. Oh, and thank you sweetsymphony for mentioning Bibliophil.org. I began a list there after I checked it out. And a reading journal does sound like a good idea. Maybe I'll start one.

Yes I make a list:

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
The Gunslinger by Stephen King
The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Waste Lands by Stephen King

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Song of Susannah by Stephen King
The Known World by Edward P. Jones
The Dark Tower by Stephen King
A Simple Habana Melody by Oscar Hijuelos
Bag of Bones by Stephen King

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Rose Madder by Stephen King
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

The Stand by Stephen King
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Regulators by Stephen King

The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
Desperation by Stephen King
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Little Sister's of Eluria by Stephen King
Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut

Insomnia by Stephen King
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams
Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King (short story)
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Talisman by Stephen King

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Black House by Stephen King
American Pastoral by Roth
From Buick 8 by King
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Albom

It by King
Gilead by Robinson
Deception Point by Brown
Dreamcatcher by King
(and much more...)

_

Yes, I do keep a "list" of books that I have read. I have recently started doing this and already I am seeing the benefits from it. I have, on countless occassions, bought a book that I already owned! For me, I go a little too far because I am WAY too organized, I put each title on a separate piece of paper with the excerpt from the back of the book and file them by authors last name. Now that I think about it, I know I go too far with my organization.

Tara, I tried to start doing that, but that would be too much work for me. Title, author, and whether I've read it or not is good enough for me.

tarablythe said:
Yes, I do keep a "list" of books that I have read. I have recently started doing this and already I am seeing the benefits from it. I have, on countless occassions, bought a book that I already owned! For me, I go a little too far because I am WAY too organized, I put each title on a separate piece of paper with the excerpt from the back of the book and file them by authors last name. Now that I think about it, I know I go too far with my organization.
Thats too much hard work! Not for me :D

I have a list of all the books I MUST read.
A list of books I have read that were good and I need to buy.
A list of books I've read so far this year.
A list of books I've not read but still should buy.
A list of all the books I have (with my sis), one one list all the authors names are written in a chronological order with their books, and in one list we've put them randomly, just to keep in track how many we've got.
And a list of books, where me and my sis has written down in which order the books will be bought.

Maya said:
I have a list of all the books I MUST read.
A list of books I have read that were good and I need to buy.
A list of books I've read so far this year.
A list of books I've not read but still should buy.
A list of all the books I have (with my sis), one one list all the authors names are written in a chronological order with their books, and in one list we've put them randomly, just to keep in track how many we've got.
And a list of books, where me and my sis has written down in which order the books will be bought.
:eek: PHEW!!!!!!!!!!

I keep a record of the books I read - just author, title and date. I didn't think of summaries/genre etc when i started, and I don't have room. (my dad does his on the computer so he can make room. but he's just OVERLY pedantic - publisher, publication date - the works.) I've been keeping a record for 4 years now, and I've read 800 - something books... not as many as I'd like.
Often I'll make lists on scraps of paper of books I want to read but I don't have any "official" list for that. I think I've also made lists of books I'd like to own (but am not sure whether I'll ever actually buy) and lists of books I MUST buy.

Yeah I know it sounded crazy after I had described it, but it's how I remember things! It helps me to remember the excerpt off the back when I'm in a book store.

I have a half-sized three ring binder with subject dividers(months) and that's where I keep my list of reading Candidates and my books read for the year. About 15-16 years ago, I kept a list of books I read for a two year period, then got busy and forgot to keep it up. Then three years ago, I started that practice again, and have been diligent to keep track of title, author, and completion date. Last month, I got the hare-brained notion to try to reconstruct my Life-Reading List as much as possible. I have several books with suggestions to read to kids, and homeschool catalogs, so I poured over those and looked at several author's bibliographies online..
Crazy huh? :D

I've been meaning to start a list of the books I read. Maybe this post will be the jolt I need to get me to actually do it! I think it would be interesting to look back and see how your tastes change over time.

If you keep track of the date you finished a book, the list helps remind you of what you were doing at that time..like an abbreviated journal.

Back