• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

East Coast Shenanigans

mmyap

Boy, you folks along the east coast are having an exciting week. Both earthquakes and storm warnings. I hope everyone is well. :flowers:

yea, it was pretty shaky here around 13:50 today and we just had an aftershock about 15 minutes ago.

I was about 70 miles from the epicenter of the earthquake and it was a little frightening while it was happening. That's only the second quake I've experienced and the first lasted less than 10 seconds and was a 2.2, so it felt like a train rolling by my work. This one was much more intense and lasted longer. It made the rest of the day at work much more exciting. Also, it allowed Mineral, Virginia to get on the national news. Now, we just have to deal with Irene this weekend.

I've only experienced very minor quakes here except for one about three years ago. It was kind of like all the doors of the house got slammed all at once. Over before you could really react. My spice rack fell off the wall and that was it. But then, due to some safeguard built into the electrical grid system, all the power went out and stayed out for three days before they could "reboot" the system! Only in Hawaii.

I loved Hawaii. I've been trying to get back there since the day I left nearly 25 years ago. I can handle humidity and after having a copperhead in my office last week, I think spiders would be an improvement.

I loved Hawaii. I've been trying to get back there since the day I left nearly 25 years ago. I can handle humidity and after having a copperhead in my office last week, I think spiders would be an improvement.

And where have you been hiding, young lady?

Just the other night we watched a documentary on Netflix about the Appalachian Trail. Apparently all those snakes along the trail are good for one thing...keeping down the rodents who carry fleas, who carry Lyme Disease. Cold comfort when you've got a copperhead invading your personal space, but hey, you shouldn't get Lyme Disease, right?!?

sparkchaser said:
And where have you been hiding, young lady?
Ummmmm.... wasting away again in Margaritaville?

abecedarian said:
Cold comfort when you've got a copperhead invading your personal space, but hey, you shouldn't get Lyme Disease, right?!?
We have a king snake that has taken up residence in our yard, and I'm okay with him. He is "the farmer's friend" and is not poisonous, however, if it's poisonous and I see it, it must die.

Ummmmm.... wasting away again in Margaritaville?

We have a king snake that has taken up residence in our yard, and I'm okay with him. He is "the farmer's friend" and is not poisonous, however, if it's poisonous and I see it, it must die.

A friend of mine had one in her basement/crawl space that was longer than her husband was tall. She was fine with it as long as Mr. King Snake stayed downstairs where he belonged. No mice at their place.

Back