• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite female singers

There was a very interesting thread sometimes ago regarding female singers.
Actually I am trying to expand my list of female singers, this is why I am starting this follow-up thread.

Who is your favorite (modern) female-singer?
I'll start :my favorites are Björk and Patricia Kaas - she is amazing, singing in French!

Norah Jones, she's just superb. I love her second album-goes to show that you can take the girl out of the coffeehouse, but you can't take the coffeehouse out of the girl.:D

There are two Canadian women I like to listen to.

Sarah Slean and Bif Naked.

I have seen Sarah live twice, once with a full band and once just her playing piano and singing. Both were great. She was trained in classical music and you can hear that in what she is doing now. She has a great voice.

Bif is something else. She started out as sort of punk, and is now doing some good stuff, I really enjoy her style. The last time she was in town, she played at the university for free, only thing was, you had to be a student to go :(

Sarah Blasko is fantastic.
Regina Spektor is brillant.

Allanis Morisette
Amy-Lee
The girl from the Waifs and the girl who rings with Damien Rice

Lani

Norah Jones, she's just superb. I love her second album-goes to show that you can take the girl out of the coffeehouse, but you can't take the coffeehouse out of the girl.:D
Her third album was absolute Norah-by-numbers crunt.

Shirley Manson
Cristina Scabbia
Chrissie Hynde
Annie Lennox

I guess I'll add Courtney Love to the list. She's weird as hell and her voice isn't the best I've heard, but she's still created some great music.

Karen Carpenter

Nina Simone

Edith Piaf

Norah Jones, she can sing but most of her songs aren't worth singing;)

Alison Krauss

krauss-alison.jpg

A few who come to mind just now are:
Rachel Nagy of The Detroit Cobras
Margot Timmons of The Cowboy Junkies
Natalie Merchant (mostly on the strength of her cover of Because the Night)
Susan Tedeschi (she does a fabulous cover of Angel from Montgomery)

- Sarah Brightman
- Celine Dion
- Norah Jones
- Diana Krall
- Enya
- Loreena McKennitt ( the Canadian Enya ;) )
- Shania Twain

I also listen to the Corrs from time to time.

For awhile, it's been Beth Gibbons of Portishead. Her voice is beautiful & sultry. Haunting.
I like a lot of the people posted here already, like Norah, the sisters in The Corrs, Regina Spektor, but they're not my favorites... but they're close!

My other favorites:
Alanis Morisette - "My Humps" was funny as hell.
Alison Goldfrapp of Goldfrapp
Poe
Fiona Apple
Shirley Manson of Garbage

My faves are :

Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde
Margo Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies
Tori Amos
Iris Dement

My faves are :
Tori Amos
I was beginning to have palpitations at not seeing her name. Surely the best by a long, long way, non?

Also love Regina Spektor, Joni Mitchell and Sinead O Connor. Jewel, Shivaree, Deborah Harry (Blondie), Diana Ross, Jenny Lewis. There will be many more.

I love Alecia Moore's (P!nk's) voice. The emotion in her voice is wonderful. I love her version of Me and Bobby McGee which she sings live.

Back