• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fought over any good books lately?

No problemo Libra..now of course, I have to go look up those other two he mentioned....I'd hate to miss anything good:whistling:
lol,the book I am currently reading although it is not a Literary epic, it delves into female circumcition and studies and science about the female and male..Very informative.

lol,the book I am currently reading although it is not a Literary epic, it delves into female circumcition and studies and science about the female and male..Very informative.

A couple of weeks ago I read a book called Enslaved: The New British Slavery-Rahila Gupta.I was reminded of From a Crooked Rib, as one of the victims had been brutalized by this practice. Enslaved is not lighthearted reading either, to say the least.

I will look into these titles,which do you recommend I start with since I have not delved into African Lit?

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, in fact I only really started exploring African literature half-seriously this year (hell, the fact that I was talking about "African" literature, as if it were one country, should tell you how well-versed I am...) :whistling: But I've loved both Things Fall Apart and Wizard of the Crow as previously mentioned; the latter is a bit of a handful at about 900 pages, but it's a both hilarious and thought-provoking look at post-post-colonialist Africa... and TFA, like ABC says, is just a must-read. (Two other rightfully well-known takes on similar subjects are Tayeb Salih's Season of Migration to the North and Wole Soyinka's Aké.)

I wasn't that impressed with either Farah or Coetzee, but a lot of people rate them very highly and I'm starting to think I ought to give From A Crooked Rib a first try and Disgrace a second.

Al-Aswany's The Yacoubian Building isn't exactly a masterpiece of modern fiction, but it is a tremendously entertaining novel which packs quite a few punches in the way it deals with controversial subjects. Definitely recommended.

Also, I posted this list of the 100 best African books of the 20th century a while back. I'm guessing the top isn't a bad place to start. :)

Lined up for me in the near future: Tahar ben Jelloun, Chris Abani, Assia Djebar, Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie, Ivan Vladislavic (yes, he's South African despite the name) and Alan Patel. And Camus, I guess, but I've been putting him off for years already, and why break a good tradition...

Chris Abani
I read his Becoming Abigail earlier this year, but sadly never reviewed it. I'll read it again, I think, as it was only seventy pages, or so, and I remember little of it, other than a general thread of people trafficking, which I may have exaggerated. It was set between Nigeria and England, anyway.

beergood,I will probably start with these two,Things Fall Apart and Wizard of the Crow ,and go on from there.
I have already checked out the list you posted,I have been checking out each title(slowly) and see what interests me for later on.

Back