• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hey Ice Hockey Fans !!!!! Deal?

I'm a native of Colorado and have lived here for 28 years so this is only hypothetical but my wife and I already have an agreement that if we were to ever move to a different state we'd have to invest in NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice so I could watch the Avs and the Broncos. That's not to say that I wouldn't follow the new local teams too but there's something about those first loves... :)

Motokid said:
yeah, but how long have you been living "away" from Detroit? For all I know, if Detroit was king suckety suck of the NHL, you'd be burning them for being the complete bums that they are.....

Which brings up a good question, if you are a fan of one particular team, especially if it's because that team is the "local" team...and then you move...do you carry your team allegance with you, and for how long, before changing to the teams in your new "local" area? Or do you ever change? Suppose you move as a child from say... the Detroit suburbs, and then live closer to Washington DC for the next 30 years?

Maybe I should ask this over in Kenny Shovel's new thread too? Like to know what the 'footballers" think...

Good lord, Man! Why would anybody ever want to change allegiance? I just cannot believe the sick things that come out of your mind.

Ok, Look, I spent the first 18 years of my life in Michigan. Since that time I've lived in Orlando, Florida; Pensacola, Florida; Chicago, Illinois; Charleston, South Carolina; Virginia Beach, Virginia; Long Beach, California, San Diego, California; Dahlgren, Virginia, San Diego, California; and of course, back to Virginia. (Takes deep breath) Now if and when I’ve lived in any single place as long or longer then I lived in Michigan, I might think about it. And I have to be honest here, Motokid, that's a very big if.

Robert said:
Good lord, Man! Why would anybody ever want to change allegiance? I just cannot believe the sick things that come out of your mind.

Ok, Look, I spent the first 18 years of my life in Michigan. Since that time I've lived in Orlando, Florida; Pensacola, Florida; Chicago, Illinois; Charleston, South Carolina; Virginia Beach, Virginia; Long Beach, California, San Diego, California; Dahlgren, Virginia, San Diego, California; and of course, back to Virginia. (Takes deep breath) Now if and when I’ve lived in any single place as long or longer then I lived in Michigan, I might think about it. And I have to be honest here, Motokid, that's a very big if.

ok....breathe easy there dude....just checkin' to see where you really stand...makin' sure there's no bandwagoneers floatin' round here :eek: ....although I'm not sure the Red Wings have had a wagon to really jump on the last few years :p ...

I have been interested in American sports for over a decade now, despite the god-awful coverage they get here in Britain. However, when I made my initial choices of teams to support, I always seem to get them wrong :D

So, I have ended up with the NY Rangers, The Chicago Cubs, and the San Fran 49ers ... who have won precisely nothing in the past ten years ... maybe I jinxed them :)

Phil

phil_t said:
I have been interested in American sports for over a decade now, despite the god-awful coverage they get here in Britain. However, when I made my initial choices of teams to support, I always seem to get them wrong :D

So, I have ended up with the NY Rangers, The Chicago Cubs, and the San Fran 49ers ... who have won precisely nothing in the past ten years ... maybe I jinxed them :)

Phil

If you can verify that, then I know a few more teams you can jinx, .... er, I mean root for.

I was >this< close to going to see an Ice Hockey game for real earlier this year, me and Ice were looking for somewhere to go for our annual anniversary city break, and the Maple Leafs were on a home series. Unfortunately we were away from Friday to Monday and they were playing Thursday & Tuesday ... typical. I am still yet to see anyone more exciting than the Guildford Flames playing hockey live ... and they are really, really bad :D

Anyway, the Rangers suck big time ... they have all this money, buy the best players, and they still fail to do anything every year. I think the weight of New York expectation is really crushing them, they get brutalised by the press everytime they lose.

As for the Cubbies, well Baseball is my favorite US sport, and they got sooooo damn close a couple of years back, when that fan caught the ball out of the fielders glove and it cost them the Divisional Series .. <sigh> I am a very unlucky sports fan :D

Phil

These guys are going where? Today....

"Expected to headline the unrestricted forwards are Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Mike Modano, Alexei Kovalev, Pavol Demitra, Ziggy Palffy, Bobby Holik, Alexei Zhamnov, Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne.

But the real depth in this year's unrestricted crop is on the blue-line, where the Norris Trophy may be at stake: Scott Niedermayer, Adam Foote, Sergei Gonchar, Brian Leetch, Derian Hatcher, Brian Rafalski, Mathieu Schneider, Mike Rathje, Roman Hamrlik and Adrian Aucoin highlight a long list of available defencemen."

Some pretty heavy hitters there....

Rumors are flying around everywhere and who knows if any of them have any truth to them. Here in Denver, there's rampant speculation about a Forsberg/Naslund signing with the Avs. Supposedly they both have travel plans in Denver within a 24 hour period. Needless to say, I've been glued to TSN :)

Motokid said:
These guys are going where? Today....

"Expected to headline the unrestricted forwards are Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Mike Modano, Alexei Kovalev, Pavol Demitra, Ziggy Palffy, Bobby Holik, Alexei Zhamnov, Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne.

But the real depth in this year's unrestricted crop is on the blue-line, where the Norris Trophy may be at stake: Scott Niedermayer, Adam Foote, Sergei Gonchar, Brian Leetch, Derian Hatcher, Brian Rafalski, Mathieu Schneider, Mike Rathje, Roman Hamrlik and Adrian Aucoin highlight a long list of available defencemen."

Some pretty heavy hitters there....

Don't worry about the Norris Trophy, it'll go back home to Lidstrom where it belongs.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to all those big names. Their market value will have to be determined under the new CBA.

blue line FAs are deep and the flyers got hatcher , witch im pumped about, but they also got rathje witch is huge too and by the way changing an eligance to a team should be illegal and punishable by law

ps bundys back haha

owe yea and another thing, the new cap is just what the rangers need to be good again

toronto
detroit
jersey
buffalo
all hated in no particular order

lets go flyers
lets go

I can understand why you hate Detroit, to come so close to Lord Stanley's cup and then... nothing, I won't hold it against you. Everybody hates Toronto, no problem. The worse thing about New Jersey and Buffalo is that they're are boring as hell to watch, but it's a free country, so hate away.

Say, liktareadmore63, I thought hate was illegal in and around the city of brotherly love?

Robert said:
I can understand why you hate Detroit, to come so close to Lord Stanley's cup and then... nothing, I won't hold it against you. Everybody hates Toronto, no problem. The worse thing about New Jersey and Buffalo is that they're are boring as hell to watch, but it's a free country, so hate away.

Say, liktareadmore63, I thought hate was illegal in and around the city of brotherly love?

dont get confused. philadelphians love each other and hate everyone else. (regarding hockey) and thats the way it should be.

Back