• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just finished 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter Miller Jr. a great book, interesting and somewhat disturbing. i'm sure i missed some elements since i don't know latin and there are many latin dialogues. some of the religious aspects made me re-analyze the way i feel on certain issues. definitely a good book, but i can't say i will read the sequel.

jay said:
Check your library, maybe you can find some translated to Russian.
j

Hi Jay:

I've bought a very thick book of Michelangelo Letters & Poetry in SPb... Havn't started it yet, but hope to...
Thanks.

Sergo said:
Hi Jay:I've bought a very thick book of Michelangelo Letters & Poetry in SPb... Havn't started it yet, but hope to...
Thanks.

Excellent to here. Enjoy it.
j

The Phantom of Manhattan

The Phantom of Manhattan by Frederick Forsyth... I've finished this book a few days back...

read alot of reviews saying that it is not very well written, but overall, the storylines ain't confusing.

From my views, perhaps the author is trying to put the story into a different writing format and letting the reader to imagine themselves, what had actually happened in between The Phantom and Christine during that 6 days period. But I've wished that it should have been written with more story content and so to stop me from imagining wildly...

Quite disappointed when, not much words was written about happenings between Erik and Christine.

chewlianchillz said:
read alot of reviews saying that it is not very well written, but overall, the storylines ain't confusing.

Not having read it myself you have me asking this: what do the storylines have to do with it not being well written?

Stewart said:
Not having read it myself you have me asking this: what do the storylines have to do with it not being well written?

Hey, hey. Composition/structure of a book is also the responsibility of a “good” writer.
One can create lines of perfected beauty, but if the story is incomprehensible or boring then the writer’s skills are lacking.
But none of this matters of course cuz, you know, the sun could explode.
j

Stewart said:
I know, but we're talking about Forsyth. :D

Ah!
And I _did_ actually type up “the better question is why would one look for good writing in a Forsyth book?”
But I only flipped through _Day of the Jackal_ many moons ago...
j

I _just_ finished _reading_ the newspaper. It _was_ pretty interesting and I _especially_ enjoyed the parts _regarding_ Khodorkovsky because _his_ name is fun _to_ say. I _would_ recommend _this_ newspaper to _anyone_.

I have just finished reading Band of brothers by Stephen E.Ambrose and what a truley remarkable and moving book!

Stewart said:

to me, when i just started it, i got very confused with the storylines... because not sure about the characters, until I read a book on the play itself, which is written by Andrew Llyod Webber.

There are several fictionous reporters like Cholly Bloom involved in the Forsyth's novel. Later on, then i understood that those reporters played a part in telling stories of Erik and people around him.

That's the style Forsyth had used, by writing what the reporters saw and how they think about Erik and his actions which lead to increased curiosity.

So on and so for.. :)

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
I _just_ finished _reading_ the newspaper. It _was_ pretty interesting and I _especially_ enjoyed the parts _regarding_ Khodorkovsky because _his_ name is fun _to_ say. I _would_ recommend _this_ newspaper to _anyone_.

What kinda newspaper? The Straits Times? :D

I just finished Cannery Row, by John Steinbeck. I finished it just today. I'm not sure about it yet. It certainly was not one of my favorites of all time. It's a lot like Tortilla Flat, of the same author, which also was not my favorite. Too much drunkeness, to many good intentions gone bad (but stupidly, not due to unforseeable tragic events) not poignant, not cathartic, in short, it did not grab me by the insides and rip my guts out, like, say, The Grapes of Wrath or Of Mice and Men, of course by Steinbeck, as well.

raffaellabella said:
Beloved by Toni Morrison. It was sad, beautiful and bit confusing at times, but what a wonderful book!

Heh sounds a bit like her style is the same as in Song of Solomon. I'll have to go about reading Beloved, then.

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. Feel like I've been reading it forever even though it only took about a month. It's an excellent book but quite long and I had a few reading interuptions throughout. Great Dicken's characters and great Dicken's humour. Dora annoyed me a bit though. Silly girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back