• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

June 2008 - Book Group Suggestions

Stewart

Let's build up a head of steam and get June's book sorted out now. Nominations/discussion below, please.

I don't know what the resistance level to non-fiction is but I nominate No Laughing Matter by Joseph Heller.

i think some already bought a few of the old list.

Something by John Banville The sea,or any others or under is other name
benjamin Black Silver Swan

I alway comeback to it but Embers -Sandor Marai
Suit Francaise -Irene Nemirovsky would be great but most are fade up with the french stuff- a woman writer be nice for a change

John Fante is alway good-West of Rome-i would re-read with glee.That be a real chance of tone.

In non-fiction The crusade through the arabian eyes -amin Maalouf is great to understand the present tentions betwin orient and occident

Suit Francaise -Irene Nemirovsky would be great but most are fade up with the french stuff- a woman writer be nice for a change

I'll second this, it's one I've been wanting to read :)

Is there enough mileage in it for a proper discussion? As I understand it the book, while being revered, is little more thn two men meeting. I'm probably wrong though.

There is far more in this book than just a meeting.This happen after 40 year of waiting on both side.There is the stories of both lives together and appart,all that made this moment of revelation possible.The style alone would justify the reading.I wish someone else read this to segond me.It's a small book to,but there so much in it.

I wouldn't mind reading Hemingway again. I suggest A Farewell to Arms, set during World War I.

Another American possibility: Main Street by Sinclair Lewis.

I don't see a lot of participation this time around for BOTM ,

I would not mind picking one of the remaining May list.:)

I think our last 2 books have not been very appealing to a large audience, Madame Bovary was hard for some of us to get into and fiinish, and the First Circle was hard for some of us to find. I think we need to mix it up a bit more, if we stick with classics, or any single genre, interest will dwindle and there is not much to lose as is. The whole point of BOTM in my opinion is to have a larger discussion, so we need to pick books that are appealing to many, and have a topic that will help fuel discussion, and I'm finding that when it comes to voting I'm not very excited by our books but just picking the one I feel is the easiest for me to get/read.

I don't know what to suggest since all I have read is Historical Fiction (exept for Bovary), and the earlier books I have read when I was younger, are really not worth mentioning, so anything that "fuels " discussion like you said I am up for:)

You could be right, Ronny. It would be nice if a few of those souls would speak up.

Another issue might be that there is no set pace. It's difficult to discuss a book when you're on chapter 5 while others are on chapter 3 or chapter 8.

You could be right, Ronny. It would be nice if a few of those souls would speak up.

Another issue might be that there is no set pace. It's difficult to discuss a book when you're on chapter 5 while others are on chapter 3 or chapter 8.

Well, everybody should read faster :)

I'm joking....

I was OK with Bovary, was something different for me. The First Circle I simply can not find. But now it is on my TBR - in future...

I also find it hard to read books that are "dictated" to me. Somehow I like it more to read each book when it comes to my hands, and not searching histerically after a certain book "suddenly".

But... Sometimes, there come brand-newbooks (freshly written) - either from completely new writers (never heard of!) or by well known writers who write new stories. In this case, I think I would be more interested in reading those fresh books!

This can help to keep up with NEW books. However, in this case only the real literature geeks will be able to propose a new read - I mean, in my case, though I read a lot, I hardly follow any new works...

What do you think about this idea?

I like grabbing random new books of the "just in shelf" at the library all the time, like today this one caught my eye Amazon.com: The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America: David Hajdu: Books (I thought it would be interesting because there is so much current debate in the schools and libraries I work in over graphic novels).

New can be good, or current award nominees.winners, controversial books, books that cover a current hot topic, I do like classics too and I'm glad to read a heavily talked about classic, I just think that we should mix it up more and not get stuck in a certain genre and that while looking for these we also be careful to pick easily attainable books for those of us in boonies :)

I also agree with Robert that sometimes the timing is very staggered for the folks reading the BOTM, I think the suggestion of posting them up earlier will halp as it gives those that have to order their books a chance to get them and read them in a timely manner.

Well, everybody should read faster :)

I'm joking....

I was OK with Bovary, was something different for me. The First Circle I simply can not find. But now it is on my TBR - in future...

I also find it hard to read books that are "dictated" to me. Somehow I like it more to read each book when it comes to my hands, and not searching histerically after a certain book "suddenly".

But... Sometimes, there come brand-newbooks (freshly written) - either from completely new writers (never heard of!) or by well known writers who write new stories. In this case, I think I would be more interested in reading those fresh books!

This can help to keep up with NEW books. However, in this case only the real literature geeks will be able to propose a new read - I mean, in my case, though I read a lot, I hardly follow any new works...

What do you think about this idea?

Reading something that's more contemporary is a fine idea. There are plenty of members that enjoy contemporary authors like Bernard Cornwell, Ken Follett or Stephen King.

I liked Bovary also, the thing is when someone is rushing through it to participate in the discussion is not really grasping or enjoying the whole thing.

Back