• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, finally. I was pleasantly surprised. I figured they'd **** up, but apart from two or three things, I think they did a wonderful job.

The Machinist. Excellent thriller except looking at an amaciated Christian Bale was hard at first but it was so essential to the film.

raffaellabella said:
Yeah, I thought it was funny too. Vince Vaughn is hysterical with the way he talks fast and his quick remarks.
I was only introduced to Vince as a comedic actor with Dodgeball, and so it took me awhile to stop looking at him as that creep from Psycho. He is /very/ funny though, and I didn't realise until this movie how freakishly tall he is :eek:

He didn't strike me as a fast talker, though. But then again, it is kinda a well-known joke here that Americans are veeryyy sllooww talkers :p

Monkeycatcher

I just saw 'The Wedding Crashers', too. I thought it was funny, funny, funny. I was laughing like an idiot through the whole movie. Good stuff.

I just watched Harold and Maude again, I love that movie. I watched the Station Agent after and it was very good, too.

Theatre: Skeleton Key-It was okay, cute little spooky story. PG-13, so you can't expect to be really scared.

DVD: Amélie -2nd time watching it...just as cute as I remembered it. Lenny (Nero) told me more about Montmarte, so I watched it with a better idea...

We all watched Gung Ho Friday night. My dd had to watch it for a class. I liked it very much. It was a reminder that different doesn't mean bad.

Watched What the "Bleep" do We Know the other night. Amazing movie. Mind bending quantum theory and conversations about the nature of emotion, thought, addiction, and more presented in a visually appealing and engaging way. There was some goofiness toward the end, but worth the watch if you are into that kind of thing.

Caught Crash Friday night. Also great. One of the smarter films I've seen in a while. If you have heard it's all about racism and nothing else, check it out for yourself. There is a whole lot more to it.

J

Just saw 2046 and thought it was fantastic in all respects. In fact, I went back to see it again, and may yet see it a third time. :eek:
Peder

Watched Testament last night on DVD. The cover of it looked brand new so I thought: "Why not!?" The film was made in 1983 and is a macabre depiction of a family attempting to live through a nuclear fallout that results from a limited nuclear strike. The film works you over pretty well and the ending is very dramatic. Wow, I was impressed. Features a young Rebecca DeMornay(sp) and Kevin Costner.

i saw crash this weekend as well. it did put me in mind of a racially themed traffic, but that shouldn't be seen as a negative thing. i liked seeing how the characters were going to cross into each others lives, and i think one of the best scenes is the car crash with matt dillon and thandie newton.
i also watched kung fu hustle which is a great great movie. hilarious, packed with action and the special effects are amazing. i am always amazed at the imagination of directors and stephen chow's is exceptional.

Theatre: The Exorcism of Emily Rose - probably best to just wait and rent it... no big deal, not the least bit scary.
DVD: The Dark Crystal - well, I remember why I don't like muppets or puppets (in this case: muppets). This was my 2nd time watching this movie. My boyfriend loves it (something he enjoyed from his childhood)... I bought him this book on it: The World of the Dark Crystal: The Collector's Edition
So, I enjoyed the artsy part of the movie... and I have a great deal of respect for the art of muppeteering (or is it muppetry?). But I don't find it pleasant to watch - never have.
I couldn't stand the "dream fasting" ugh. The noises that the girl makes to call other animals was horrible and made me shudder every time... it was too corny. Personally, I don't enjoy hearing made up languages (Elvish excluded of course, it sounds lovely -especially coming from Liv Tyler). Also, Jen, the lead character was a horrible hero-type. He didn't do shit. All he did was rejoin the shard with the crystal... the chick did everything else. Ugh.

Does anyone else think this thread should be a sticky?

Wednesday: Into the Sun
Thursday: Darwin's Nightmare, Adams Æbler and Gegen die Wand
Friday: My Summer of Love, Scaredsacred and What Remains of Us.

I really liked Adams Æbler. Darwin's Nightmare, What Remains of us and Gegen die Wand were very interesting. My Summer of Love was OK and Into the Sun and Scaredsacred were in my opinion crap.

I watched Memento last night. I really loved it - the whole concept was /great/. Couldn't stop thinking about how horrible it would be to have a condition such as that :eek:

Ooh... I loved Memento! Did you watch it on DVD? If so, did you do that thing afterwards so you can watch it in order?

DVD: Open Water: The beginning was incredibly slow... almost decided we should just stop watching. I turned to my boyfriend and said, "real people dialogue is boring" :( But 40 min. in, it was pretty damn good. They were able to go over all the emotions people would probably be experiencing if they were in that situation.

Back