• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer. If the producers stuck to Joss Whedon's original vision I probably would have liked the movie more. This Buffy had no personality and I wasn't scared at all.

Zombie Strippers. I expected it to be trashy and stupid. Very trashy, but not all that stupid.

Wolfman - not as horrible as I had heard it was.

The Other Guys - typical Will Ferrel. Moments of hilarity interspersed with mind numbing stupidity. I liked it.

Cop Out - Not the funniest movie, but when Tracy Morgan tells a rival cop that he "Smells like two Jamaicans slap-boxing in an elevator" it made it worthwhile for me.

I haven't seen Cop Out but for some reason I just don't think Tracy Morgan is very funny at all.

I have seen Cop Out and I just don't think Tracy Morgan is very funny at all. It was like watching Hot Fuzz, except without the comedy. Which pretty much makes it just another buddy cop movie.

Splice. Two genetic engineers (who are also a couple) decide to clone a humanoid creature in secret, just for an experiment, but then it's just too sweet and they can't bring themselves to not treat it... her... like their own. You know that won't end well. Not bad at all, but a bit of a disappointment. After hearing it compared to Cronenberg a few hundred times my expectations were probably too high; it's got plenty of vintage Canadian body horror (and excellent special effects), but where Cronenberg would have used that to tell a story, in Splice it just is the story. Still, Adrian Brody and Sarah Polley make the most of their rather unsympathetic roles, and the movie is both gross and oddly moving a lot of the time... though the last 20 minutes will probably lose quite a few viewers. :star3:

The Traveller. A mysterious man (Val "If you squint I kind of look like Mickey Rourke" Kilmer) shows up at a small-town police station, about a year after a high-profile child murder, looking like he's auditioning to play Randall Flagg and says he wants to confess to several murders. He has no name, no fingerprints, and is generally very spooky and mysterious. And once he starts his confession, things start getting very creepy indeed around the police station... well, that's the idea, at least. Unfortunately you can pretty much guess the plot 5 minutes in, and since all of the characters are equally dull and unlikable, all that remains is a very long wait for the endgame interspersed with graphic, drawn-out, sadistic murder scenes in slow-motion. Dull, dull, dull. Turned it off with 10 minutes to go and don't regret it for a second. :star1:

The Town

Story of a highly skilled team of bankrobbers operating in Charlestown Mass. Ben Afleck directs and stars as the teams architect and leader. Things get interesting when Doug MacRay (Afleck's character) falls for a hostage taken during a succesful bank job. Hunted relentlessly by the FBI, manipulated by a ruthless Irish gangster and facing suspicion and pressure from his violent crew, MacRay has his hands full as he seeks a redemption of sorts.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Afleck's direction is spot on and he even manages to redeem himself as an actor in this movie. Jeremy Renner (Hurt Locker) is outstanding as MacRay's driven and violent best friend. John Hamm (Mad Men) plays the lead FBI investigator that you wouldn't mind seeing get hit by a bus. Not that he's a terrible person, it's just that this is one of those movies where you really end up rooting for the bad guys. I'm sure that this movie will draw the inevitable comparisons to Michael Mann's Heat, and sure, there are parallels, but The Town is it's own story and a very good one at that. :star4:

I watched Ponyo last night. I've loved every Miyazaki film I have ever watched (except for Nausicaa, I fell asleep) but I'm not sure about this one... I think I'll have to watch it again to make up my mind.

I watched Ponyo last night. I've loved every Miyazaki film I have ever watched (except for Nausicaa, I fell asleep) but I'm not sure about this one... I think I'll have to watch it again to make up my mind.

We watched Ponyo on Saturday night. I generally love Miyazaki's films too, but this one was no My Neighbor Totoro. I'm going to wait a few months and try it again myself and see if my opinion changes.

Story of a highly skilled team of bankrobbers operating in Charlestown Mass. Ben Afleck directs and stars as the teams architect and leader. Things get interesting when Doug MacRay (Afleck's character) falls for a hostage taken during a succesful bank job. Hunted relentlessly by the FBI, manipulated by a ruthless Irish gangster and facing suspicion and pressure from his violent crew, MacRay has his hands full as he seeks a redemption of sorts.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Afleck's direction is spot on and he even manages to redeem himself as an actor in this movie. Jeremy Renner (Hurt Locker) is outstanding as MacRay's driven and violent best friend. John Hamm (Mad Men) plays the lead FBI investigator that you wouldn't mind seeing get hit by a bus. Not that he's a terrible person, it's just that this is one of those movies where you really end up rooting for the bad guys. I'm sure that this movie will draw the inevitable comparisons to Michael Mann's Heat, and sure, there are parallels, but The Town is it's own story and a very good one at that. :star4:

Good deal. I really like to see this one. I think I'm going to go back and watch Gone Baby Gone since I've been hearing that is pretty good too.

Good deal. I really like to see this one. I think I'm going to go back and watch Gone Baby Gone since I've been hearing that is pretty good too.

You definitely should. Affleck is a strong two for two in my opinion as a director. I loved Gone Baby Gone, but I think I might have liked this one a little better even.

Couples Retreat. Most of the good jokes can be found in the trailer. Unless you're a diehard fan of Vince Vaughn or any of the other actors, I'd skip it.

Abandoned

I think this was Brittany Murphy's last film.

Mary brings her new boyfriend to the hospital for minor outpatient surgery. But when she returns later to pick him up, he has mysteriously vanished. The police can't help her. Her friends, who have never met him, don't believe her. Is the hospital administrator involved in a creepy cover-up? Could Mary's increasingly frantic state be connected to her previous psychiatric issues? Is it possible her boyfriend doesn't exist at all?

It's a low budget movie which takes place pretty much in the hospital. I have to say that it was slow in the beginning but I had it figured out by the middle of the movie. Dean Cain is a horrible actor.

4/10

Ponyo

I was really excited about this, but yeah, I didn't really enjoy it.
:star2:.5
I've only seen Spirited Away & Princess Mononoke. Both of which I loved. I'm still very interested in watching his others.

Couples Retreat. Most of the good jokes can be found in the trailer. Unless you're a diehard fan of Vince Vaughn or any of the other actors, I'd skip it.
I fell asleep towards the end. What I found to be the funniest thing was the powerpoint presentations Bateman and his wife like to give.

Back