• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Litany's Genre Swap v 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quandary

Joderu presented me with a real problem by suggesting two books that both sound incredible to me (Dan Simmons' TERROR and Chris Wooding's RETRIBUTION FALLS). I'm going to solve it by getting both and reading TERROR first. No, wait, maybe I can't resist those pirates and sky ships in RETRIBUTION FALLS.... Maybe I'll toss a coin. Thanks again, joderu!

By the way, if anyone is looking for a great sci fi book, last swap time Litany suggested Joe Haldeman's THE FOREVER WAR. I loved it!

I'm hoping to pick up the book that Cajun Duck suggested (Storm Front by Jim Butcher) tomorrow.

Would have got it sooner but the floods in my city have kept me busy and well and truly off the streets.

The ones Tai_Mai_Shu suggested (Faces Of The Gone by Brad Parks and L.A. Requiem by Robet Crais) are still coming but shouldn't be far away.

I think I'll get Clive Barker's Books of Blood that was suggested to me as well. But since I'm bogged down with so many books right now, I'm going to wait and request it from ILL at the beginning of February. I've been a Barker fan for so long and never read it... I feel shame.

Read Hyperion by Dan Simmons that Anamnesis suggested. Definitely was not a genre I would usually read and great suggestion. I'm going to read the other Hyperion titles and others by him. :)

The Sailor who Fell from Grace with the Sea-Yukio - I don't know what to make of this book. I felt like there should be more to it like what's the aftermath of what happened at the end.

I mean it wasn't a bad novel. I really like that the character development are great but the ending is what I'm having trouble with along with the distrubing scene involving the cat. *SPOILERS* I wanted to know what happened after he drank that tea and what happened to those boys afterward. Did they get punish or were they off the hook because of the law where boys under 14 were not punishable by law. How does the boy's mom react after hearing the news? I guess I wanted closure.

I mean it wasn't a bad novel. I really like that the character development are great but the ending is what I'm having trouble with along with the distrubing scene involving the cat. *SPOILERS* I wanted to know what happened after he drank that tea and what happened to those boys afterward. Did they get punish or were they off the hook because of the law where boys under 14 were not punishable by law. How does the boy's mom react after hearing the news? I guess I wanted closure.

I understand.Sometimes things are just blunt like that.To me it didn't matter what happened to the boys or what the mother thought,the thoughts and darkness of the story leading to the act was the whole story for me.
At least it was short.lol

Fantasy Moon,I am enjoying the book up to now,I do find her very egotistic,the way she talks about how special she was and her meanie sister.
The constant closet thing though is cute.

Geisha.A Life-Mineko Iwasaki

Overall,it was a good read.I enjoyed the history and the discipline of a geisha and what the process is to get there.Even more interesting was the history of the okobo and the kimono and especially what the meaning is of every accessory that is placed in their hair.Japanese culture is beautiful.

:star3:

Need to get Books of Blood from the library... I'm busy reading Priam's Daughter though. Wait, when are these suggested books supposed to be done? Do I have time? I feel like Mr. Incredible.

I'm about 3/4 through The Know-It-All: One Man's HUMBLE QUEST to Become the SMARTEST PERSON in the World by A.J. Jacobs and I've really enjoyed it. The author took a year out of his life to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica end to end. Each chapter is a letter of the alphabet with random entries highlighted, many of which are done so in a way as it relates to Jacobs personal life. You get to learn dozens of bits of trivia as well as an idea of the character of the author and several of his closest relatives. Very fun non-fiction book to read. :star5:

Joderu, I'm thrilled you're enjoying A. J. Jacobs' THE KNOW IT ALL: ONE MAN'S HUMBLE QUEST TO BECOME THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE WORLD.

For my swap experience, I read Dan Simmons' TERROR. This is a book that makes the temperature in your house plunge even if you're living on California's Central Coast. Man, what a tale! It's a book of adventure/sci fi/historical fiction involving the ill-fated John Franklin expedition to discover the Northwest Passage in the 1840's. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm going to read Chris Wooding's RETRIBUTION FALLS, the other book joderu suggested, too. Thanks very much for these recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back