• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Litany's Genre Swap v 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Abecedarian, I'm glad you're enjoying the book. Since you are half way through, it's only going to get better from there. Enjoy the climatic scene.

So, for those of you who read your titles, what did you think?

I'm just approaching the halfway mark of Joe Haldeman's THE FOREVER WAR, the sci fi book recommended by Litany. I read the first paragraph and thought, "Whoa":

"'Tonight we're going to show you eight silent ways to kill a man.' The guy who said that was a sergeant who didn't look five years older than me. So if he'd ever killed a man in combat, silently or otherwise, he'd done it as an infant."

I was happy to discover I stumbled on what the author calls his preferred edition (published by Avon Books); apparently the book went through several versions in the writer's quest to have it published. It was written in the 1970's, and eighteen publishers said, "Good book, but nobody wants to read a sci fi book about the Vietnam War."

Those publishers were wrong. This book is totally awesome, and I can already thank you, Litany. Great book.

It's a very nearly perfect book and it's never not relevant (unfortunately). I wasn't as taken with Forever Peace, but it did have a lot to live up to.

Ender's Game is now on the holdself at the Library. I will try to pick it up today but if not then it'll be tomorrow.

Just finished hearing the first book recommended.
Mystery of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin.

Totally awesome story. A bit strong in content but overall fun.

I finished reading My Cousin Rachel-Daphne duMaurier at 3 am.
:star5:.

I am looking forward to reading the other two I have from her.

Thanks to y'all, I'm adding to my TBR list from this thread.

Litany, has Beer Good sent you some suggestions? I'm curious to see what he recommends to you.

(Just ordered The Forever War)

Thanks to y'all, I'm adding to my TBR list from this thread.

Litany, has Beer Good sent you some suggestions? I'm curious to see what he recommends to you.

(Just ordered The Forever War)

Nope. :sad:

So do you think she 'did it?' I still don't have the answer myself. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I think I am leaning more to "yes".Sending her money away,overdrafting.I found she was manipulative in that "oh woe me but I am ok" attitude made me angry.
When he gave her the necklace I was like, nnooooooo

:lol:

For me yes.

I personally look forward to DuMauriers other books.Scribeswindow has recommended a couple more, so I will give them a go until next partnering up.

I'll let you know if it's a success if I ever manage to force myself to pick up the book I was given. I'm involved in reading about Ancient Egypt and saving harp seals.

My suggestion was already on my 'to be read' list. It's my next read, King rat. Also the control freak in me enjoys telling others what to read!!!! :)

Is it safe to say that this was a success?

I lucked out. Litany suggested a book that I ab-so-lute-ly loved, Joe Haldeman's THE FOREVER WAR. Not just great sci fi, a great book. For me, the swap was An Unqualified Success. Thanks again, Litany. :flowers:

Also wondering if joderu95 is happy with the book I recommended to her.

:lol:
Yes, very happy. What a couple of losers those parents were. The indifference to their children's lack of food, clothing and shelter was a shock. So too was the strength of character it took from those kids to perservere. Outstanding recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back