• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Litany's Genre Swap v 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:
Yes, very happy. What a couple of losers those parents were. The indifference to their children's lack of food, clothing and shelter was a shock. So too was the strength of character it took from those kids to perservere. Outstanding recommendation.

:blush: thanks Joderu, I'm glad you liked it.

Was the first book that I can ever remember making me get a bit "misty eyed". Incredible strength of character - I constantly felt like reaching between the pages and shaking her parents.

Dele recommended The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.

I started this novel today and have read about 50 pages and I am really enjoying it. I feel an immediate connection with the main characters and am slightly nervous about the prospect of bad things that may befall them...

Reads to Sleep recommended Anatomy of a Murder by Robert Traver

ai1210.photobucket.com_albums_cc418_brk_3_994663.jpg

I would give it 3 stars :star3:

This book is a courtroom drama originally published in 1958. I enjoyed the book for the most part. There were times that it got bogged down with wordy interpretations of law and explanation of courtroom strategy, but hey, it was written by a lawyer. Overall I think this book stands the test of time. There is some similarities to a very popular Grisham book as well. Overall I am glad I read this book.

Well I finished my suggestion, King rat. Started off slowly for me but wasn't bad in the end. I don't feel it was as good as Perdido street station, and I could tell that it was his 'first' novel. The writing wasn't as fluid as PSS. Also I think that Mieville may have felt he had to subscribe to a more formulaic kind of novel, being swapping the characters point of view and introducing the detective. The descriptions in regards to the food seriously grossed me out, and I found myself skimming these bits!! :star3:

My recommended book was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffers and Annie Barrows. I thought certain parts of the book were well-written, notably the scenes describing life in the Nazi camps. The protagonist's determination in writing about the book group and getting to know the members was also something that appealed to me.

What I didn't like was the use of the epistolary format. This technique made the book feel unorganized and more like a series of interconnected stories than a proper novel. Overall Guernsey was a pleasant read but nothing that's going to stick with me for very long.

I was recommended Ender's Game by _____. I have to say that this is different and I don't know if the ending is a shock as I've been told by many people. I did enjoy but it took me a while to get going.

:star3:

Dele recommended The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.

I started this novel today and have read about 50 pages and I am really enjoying it. I feel an immediate connection with the main characters and am slightly nervous about the prospect of bad things that may befall them...

Sorry for my delay in posting...

I finished The Good Earth back in September and I am glad that Dele recommended it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's study of relationships especially of marital relationships and also the relationship between the protagonist (a farmer) and the "good earth".

This is the first book set in pre-revolutionary China that I have read and I would definitely recommend it to others. As a sidebar, it was an Oprah Book Club choice in 2004 which put it back on the best seller list over 70 years after it was first published.

Here is the wiki link:

The Good Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next question: when does Round 2 of Litany's Genre Swap begin?

I don't know whether I should have the same people trade another book or make new matches.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back