• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

May 2008 - Book Group Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice suggestion,a change in the genre,will get Stewart to read some different stuff;) ,We could also try so crime,maybe one of the Ripley books by Patricia Highsmith,(changing autor gender to or Silverseason going to be upset!)I think Highsmith a great autor not preized enough.A heavyweight in the genre

Would be nice to know, but I suspect it's one of those books that doesn't have the availablity of other titles.

Oh, it's available. But at $22.95 (or £9.95) and it being such a slight volume in a society that correlates number of pages with price isn't likely to make it viable.

Oh, it's available. But at $22.95 (or £9.95) and it being such a slight volume in a society that correlates number of pages with price isn't likely to make it viable.

Wow! So high! That's really too bad...but that's why I try to stay in good with my local library. Even with occassional late fines and the rare times I have to replace a lost book, it makes the reading life workable for a poor reader like me.

It's by a UK independent, and as such doesn't have the clout or resources like mainstream publishers to produce and distribute its books in larger print runs.

I liked saliothomas' suggestion of Andrei Makine..we could go with Makine's first novel translated in English, Dreams of my Russian Summers for a first dip into Russian waters. Then look at the classic writers..just an idea.

Ok, I just read about this author... " Dreams of my Russian Summers " sounds promising!

But Hemingway is also OK with me.

Libra, is that a question or a statment. It's unclear.

I think (apart from the missing mods that dealt with it) the reason the book of the month thing fell away is because it went all themed and garnered little interest. In trying to reinvent it I think it's best, personally, to let discussion drive what's read, rather than say this month will be a crime novel, next month is sci-fi, etc.

Stewart, I guess it's both. It was just an idea, I tend to read a certain type of books.So I was thinking to try other genres.:)

I think we should poll the ones on the list and see what happens, because if we add more it's going to be hard to choose. What do you guys think?

It's a good idea but about 3 weeks too early. I think if there's going to be a poll that we wait a bit for more people to chime in.

O.K, getting more people in I agree, but we also have to have time to find the book or order it which takes time.:) How about two weeks?:D j.k
All the books sound good , I have to search some more info on some of them.

I think we should poll the ones on the list and see what happens, because if we add more it's going to be hard to choose. What do you guys think?

Why not choose two or three books and then schedule them so we know what's coming for several months ahead?

Why not choose two or three books and then schedule them so we know what's coming for several months ahead?

I'd like to know at least a month in advance to make sure there is enough time for media mail delivery. A few of the books I've ordered from Amazon sellers have taken 24 days to reach my door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back