• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mustard? Really?

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Barack Obama's mustard: President puts spicy mustard on burger and lands in new 'elitist' pickle with right

Barack Obama's mustard: President puts spicy mustard on burger and lands in new 'elitist' pickle with right

Kevin Pang
May 11, 2009

Conservative commentators seeking ways to pillory the president have found their latest weapon: mustard.

Oh, not patriotic, 76-trombones-along-the-parade-route yellow mustard. But pretentious, elitist, higher-tax-bracket Dijon mustard.

When President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden made a stop at a burger joint in Virginia last week, Obama reportedly asked for "spicy" or "Dijon mustard."

Right-wing talk show host Laura Ingraham weighed in: "What kind of man orders a cheeseburger without ketchup but Dijon mustard?" Sean Hannity of Fox News invoked the Grey Poupon commercial. "I hope you enjoyed that fancy burger, Mr. President," Hannity said.

This has Barry Levenson, founder and curator of the Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum, shaking his head. The museum, just west of Madison, Wis., features more than 5,000 mustards, the largest such collection in the world.

"There's nothing pretentious about Dijon mustard," Levenson said. "It's a very simple product."

Dijon mustard has its origins in France, where monks made it with mustard seeds, vinegar, water and some salt.

But the Grey Poupon ads from the 1980s -- showing two British gentlemen snootily asking for Dijon -- cemented the mustard, rightly or not, as a condiment for aristocrats and gourmands.

"You have to understand that those ads were an effort to elevate cooking in America," said Levenson. "It was an effort to tell people you can buy something that's not too expensive, but it makes you feel elegant."

facepalm.jpg

I usually eschew mustard and ketchup on my burger (Dukes mayo FTW) but when I do want mustard, it's spicy mustard or go home.

What's going to happen when Obama is caught ordering a margherita pizza, or *gasp*, sushi? Will the Right finally rise up and reclaim their country in the name of Budweiser, Apple Pie, and yellow mustard?

Is this piece of news legit? IIRC, he mentions a very similar incident in The Audacity Of Hope - except that time (back during his senate campaign) what happened was that his campaign manager advised him to ask for American mustard, Obama laughed it off, and that was the end of it.

Mmmm... dijon mustard.

Well, I suppose it's a good thing if that's the worst transgression he's made in 100 days.

Maybe he could issue a Presidential decree renaming it Freedom Mustard? Would that take care of it?

Considering the ever increasing national debt I'm going to have to start stealing my generic yeller mustard from hot dawg stands. None of us will be able to afford dijon mustard on our dogues from the haute dogue stands if this keeps up.:lol:

Spicy mustard is a cause for concern? Just as well that he didn't ask for Inglehoffer brand mustard.

With this sort of "news" being circulated, it's no wonder the newspaper business is washed up.

Is this piece of news legit? IIRC, he mentions a very similar incident in The Audacity Of Hope

IRC!
Barack Obama said:
... On the drive down, we stopped at a TGI Friday's and I ordered a cheeseburger. When the waitress brought the food I asked her if she had any Dijon mustard. Dan shook his head.

'He doesn't want Dijon,' he insisted, waving the waitress off. 'Here' - he shoved a yellow bottle of French's mustard in my direction - 'here's some mustard right here.'

The waitress looked confused. 'We got Dijon if you want it,' she said to me.

I smiled. 'That would be great, thanks.' As the waitress walked away, I leaned over to Dan and whispered that I didn't think there were any photographers around.
As the blogger comments, "It appears Dan was right. His opponents are really that small, petty, and ridiculous that they'll try to make an issue out of it."

They should be happy that he's stimulating the economy by buying "elitist" mustard, lmao :lol:

If this is all they can find to criticize, I guess he's doing pretty well :)

Forget the mustard incident---he's from Chicago, if he puts ketchup on his hot dog, I'll be disappointed

What next? Front page coverage on the brand of toilet paper the Obamas prefer? Must have been a slow news day.:rolleyes:

It all went downhill after 24 hr news came about. Not enough real news to fill all those hours so they fill it with piffle.

Everyone knows condiments make or brake food, so if you have to be an elitist about anything, make it about the mustard!

This is IT ???? Wondered if I strolled into the wrong place . Thought the smell of sulpher and smoke would be overwhelming in the middle of a mature discussion . Well thats a bit of a surprise , by accident stumbled onto this thread , without realising this meant I have been admitted to the select membership of mature discussers Thought I would receive a conformation proclamation on heavy parchment ,after wich I would have got permission for a quick look around the hallowed halls of mature diatribe . Ah , well , all this trepidation totally unnecessary! Must say on the subject , almost everybody in Holland very pleased with the new American president . We should be grateful for Bushes 8 years unwavering efforts to completely f....... , or Obama as president would have been unthinkable , sincerely hope he is able to find some solutions for the present mess .

This is IT ???? Wondered if I strolled into the wrong place . Thought the smell of sulpher and smoke would be overwhelming in the middle of a mature discussion .

There have been other threads in this section, but if you just joined you would have missed them. I guess they were erased after a long enough period of inactivity on them.

There have been other threads in this section, but if you just joined you would have missed them. I guess they were erased after a long enough period of inactivity on them.

They're not erased, but for some reason the forum default only shows threads that have been active in the last month. You can change that by going to the Mature Forum view and under "display options" change "last month" to something else.

Back