• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Site Design - Why?

Sorry, I Know there must have been a fair bit of effort put in to change the site but my honest opinion isn't good. What an earth was wrong with the old format? And why change the name?

If it aint broke don't fix it.:mad:

I agree. I can appreciate that Darren wants to develop the site further, and the idea of adding reviews etc certainly isn't bad (provided we get more than a Jeffrey Archer blurb :D ). But frankly, the colour scheme is horrendous and the margins, IMO, do nothing but steal space from the forum. Why not put the menu on top (shrink the huge empty space on top of the page at the same time) and keep the old colour scheme?

I hope this is just the first step of the development, and that there will be more and better changes to come. But so far, I have to say it feels like a step backwards.

First impression:

Eewwww. :(

Sorry, but it's not my cup o' java.

Never liked the color brown.

Are there huge advantages to making this change for the members, mods, and admin?

Oh, I don't know I like the brown, although I do wish the print was the size it used to be, but can't have everything can we? And as far as the empty space at the top, probably more adverts will go in there...?

I would have to guess that the renovations are not finished yet. But wdik?
The forum is here...so I'm happy about that. :cool:

Motokid said:
Are there huge advantages to making this change for the members, mods, and admin?

By giving a big brown strip down the left it opens the site up to fill it with even more ads.

pontalba said:
I do wish the print was the size it used to be, but can't have everything can we?
No, surely that would be a change that's absolutely necessary. Oh well, I just need new glasses, I guess.

Could we install a feature whereby hitting a button, you can delive a shock through the computer to another board member? :D

SFG75 said:
Could we install a feature whereby hitting a button, you can delive a shock through the computer to another board member? :D
Yours doesn't have that already?? :confused:

:p

OK, here's where my color problem shows up. WHAT brown?
That strip to the left looks black to me! And the type looks very low contrast.
Fact of life guys -- and web designers also please take note -- many males have trouble with colors. So I speak also for all who won't admit it.
Peder

Peder said:
OK, here's where my color problem shows up. WHAT brown?
That strip to the left looks black to me! And the type looks very low contrast.
Fact of life guys -- and web designers also please take note -- many males have trouble with colors. So I speak also for all who won't admit it.
Peder
The strip off to the left is a lovely shade of...milk chocolate...:eek: thats why I like I suppose. :eek:

SFG75 said:

Lol SFG, excellent suggestion. :p
Can someone please tell me what the quick reply is for?

Poppy1 said:
Can someone please tell me what the quick reply is for?
The Quick Reply feature was already in place. If you click on the Quick Reply button then scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can enter your reply in there and then click on Post Quick Reply. It saves time as you don't have to go through the process of loading up a new page just to reply to a thread.

I am not keen on the font size either. If you hold down the Ctrl key and scroll down it will increase the font size on the main pages (and on the bar) but not on the forums unfortunately :(

pontalba said:
The strip off to the left is a lovely shade of...milk chocolate...:eek: thats why I like I suppose. :eek:
Well, Pontalba,
It's just one of those things,
Just one of those cra-azy things,
A trip to the moon on gossamer wings,
You say po-tay-toe and I say black!
:)
Peder

I for one, enjoy the new look. Its more professional and cleaner.

And why is brown a bad color? :D

I think the site looks good...it's got more colors and...other stuff like...(i'll get back to that later)...you guys need to be opened to new ideas...i'm sure the new look will fit everyone once you get used to it... there's no need for panic...

now where's the "new posts" button???.....just kidding:p

Peder said:
Well, Pontalba,
It's just one of those things,
Just one of those cra-azy things,
A trip to the moon on gossamer wings,
You say po-tay-toe and I say black!
:)
Peder
If we'd thought of it at the start of it..................

we'd have put our order in for larger print! :eek:

never_know said:
I think the site looks good...it's got more colors and...other stuff like...(i'll get back to that later)...you guys need to be opened to new ideas...i'm sure the new look will fit everyone once you get used to it... there's no need for panic...

now where's the "new posts" button???.....just kidding:p
I'm sure if I hit myself in the head with a hammer enough times I'll get used to it, too. And the headache won't be worse than what I get from this tiny print.

Oh well. It's early days yet. I'm sure Darren will listen to the people who made this site what it is.

Back