• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

The Flight of the Intellectuals - Paul Berman. A focused polemic that documents the increasing timidity (or ignorance) of liberal intellectual writers/journalists to confront Muslim terrorism, now that the outrage over the Rushidie affair has simmered down. The author atributes the growing silence, and the increasing willingness to turn a blind eye, to both ""the spectacular and intimidating growth of the Islamist movement since the Rushide fatwa . . .[and] . . . terrorism" itself. A book well worth reading for background on current events.

Watcher in the Shadows - Geoffrey Household. Deadly cat-and-mouse among old WW II enemies in England.

Life of Pi - A story to make you marvel at the indestructibility of the human spirit, and the endless potential of the divinity.

The City & The City by China Mieville :star4:

Interesting twist on an oldie but goodie.
Plus much food for thought.

The Rapture by Liz Jensen. Set in the near future it's the story of a wheelchair-bound psychiatrist who starts a new job at a special facility for disturbed teenagers. One of her patients stabbed her mother to death with a Phillips screw-driver,and her unnerving predictions of natural disasters start coming true. :star3:

Careless in Red by Elizabeth George. Finally she's getting back to Lynley and Havers and leaving the boy who killed Helen alone. Really we don't care anymore.

Sense and sensibility and sea monsters, Ben H Winters. I felt like this plodded along in most parts, this could be that I already knew the plot well? I wouldn't say I exactly enjoyed it, but it wasn't the worst read ever. A bit ho hum but I think I will read the Pride and Prejudice one also. :star3:

Love letters, Katie Fforde. Not one of her best, but a nice romantic read to curl up with, especially as it was 8 degrees yesterday and hailing!! :star3:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Good sci-fi read. Predictable overall war-of-the-worlds plotline for most of the book but with imaginative details and a nice ending. Worth reading.

[possibly a double post :confused:]

The White House Connection - Jack Higgins :star3:

I've read most of Higgins Sean Dillon series, and thought they were interesting.

Elegy For Aprill by Benjamin Black :star5:
Ice Station Zebra by Alistair MacLean :star5:
The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham :star4:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Good sci-fi read. Predictable overall war-of-the-worlds plotline for most of the book but with imaginative details and a nice ending. Worth reading.

[possibly a double post :confused:]

It appears I am blissfully unaware of a sub-genre I should be reading. I had no idea "child soldiers" and "and you thought it was only a game" were such a prevalent literature trope.

It appears I am blissfully unaware of a sub-genre I should be reading. I had no idea "child soldiers" and "and you thought it was only a game" were such a prevalent literature trope.

Hi Sparky, I read your post as meaning you take issue with my evaluation. I also mentioned "imaginative details," which I think relates to your observation and perhaps covers what I take to be our difference.
Perhaps we just suspend disbelief to different degrees about different things.
I'd be interested in your own evaluation of this work. Needless to say (maybe), I have heard of it and its fame.

Afterthought: Sparky, If my reaction to Ender's Game is as wide of the mark as I think your post suggests, then perhaps it sounds like a good sci-fi book for BOTM discussion by the members there. Just a thought. :flowers:

Back