• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

It was not at all what I expected -- a hard sci-fi war story with an interesting protagonist and great ending.

:star4:

The Drawing of the Three - Dark Tower - Stephen King :star4:

a rich book full of references, an incredible created universe created...
hope the next books of the series will be as good as this one

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieglitz Larsson

Bit behind the popular titles at the moment, but I loved this book. My first 'unputdownable' book in a while.

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby :star4:

I enjoyed it very much. The details about the internet forum and the music snobs hit close to home for me, but in a good way. Very humorous, honest book. :cool:

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby :star4:

I just finished this recently, too, but I was undecided about it. Not in the writing or the story, but in the flawed nature of the characters. Is creating weak men, in particular a Hornby trait? Frankly, Duncan should have been kicked so far out of that woman's life...

Finished re-read of 2666 by Roberto Bolano.

That definitely clarified things.

Clearly diverse, clearly varied, clearly diffuse, and clearly enigmatic. :confused:

I've seen this one in my local Waterstones, and I'm pondering picking one up to read it. Is it any good (beyond the 'clearly enigmatic' [shiver of dread])?:sad:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieglitz Larsson

Bit behind the popular titles at the moment, but I loved this book. My first 'unputdownable' book in a while.

I enjoyed 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' - a bit slow at the beginning, but it soon gets going. It isn't worth the hype though (don't get me wrong: it IS a good book, but I don't understand the level of praise). Lisbeth Salander is interesting, although she has some way to go before she reaches a par with Smila Jaspersen.

I WILL hunt down the next in the trilogy, though.;)

I've seen this one in my local Waterstones, and I'm pondering picking one up to read it. Is it any good (beyond the 'clearly enigmatic' [shiver of dread])?:sad:

Gabrielle,
It is a long read, as you have already seen, but not particularly difficult to read. It is just longish, and some have said boring, with a lot of words and scenes that go on forever. Its major parts are only very loosely connected, if at all, and finally one wonders what to make of it. I would say there is not much love interest, not much dramatic conflict, and not much action compared to more conventional novels, and one can easily wonder why it took so many words to tell the story it tells. However, if you like long, slow novels then . . .

Peder

Pontalba, somehow I missed this comment. :sad:

If you liked PR, you should like Spook Country - very much the same world. There is some overlap with the Hubertus Bigend character and Blue Ant. :)

:flowers: I believe those same characters are in his latest book, Zero History, out as well.

Can't remember the exact page count, but I read at least half, perhaps slightly more of 2666. Don't get me wrong, I love long, layered, what some would consider tedious books, and 2666 was all of that, to some extent. However. I found it also to be mind numbing, and low key gruesome. Perhaps gruesome is a bit too strong a word, but it is what I felt.
I found myself snapping at my OH [other half], and in a generally rotten humor whilst reading it. This persisted even after I realized what was causing my bad humor. To say it is depressing is not strong enough. I found it chilling in the most banal way.
In the end, it wasn't worth my time or energy.

LOL re Lisbeth Salander vs. Smila Jaspersen. I think you'll find more satisfying development in the next two of the trilogy.

Oh, meant to add, I finished The Fourth Hand by K.O. Dahl last night. Interesting and new [to me] Norwegian detective/mystery series. Twisty and satisfying plot, and interesting characters the reader can care about.

Back