• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
Open - Andre Agassiz

I quite enjoyed TGWTDT and look forward to the next two in the series. Interesting comments about Smilla Jasperson versus Lisbeth Salander.

Brother Odd - Dean Koontz

I have to give it only :star2:

I am not sure if I am going to continue with this series. The first book (Odd Thomas) was quite good, but the last two were a disappointment.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
Open - Andre Agassiz

I quite enjoyed TGWTDT and look forward to the next two in the series. Interesting comments about Smilla Jasperson versus Lisbeth Salander.

I made it 45 pages into the mass market paperback version of TGWTDT and gave up on it. A neighbor gave it to me raving about how good it was, but it didn't grab me at all. I find that often happens when I read a book that has been translated into English.

Viking: Sworn Brother by Tim Severin. :star3:
The 2nd of his 'viking' trilogy,but like the 1st the cover is quite misleading,and the story actually follows a young man of viking descent travelling around Europe during the early 9th century. It's still an interesting read tho as we see the diversity of cultures and religions up-close,and I'll def read the final installation.

I made it 45 pages into the mass market paperback version of TGWTDT and gave up on it.
I found the first few chapters slow-going, but it hooked me from about Chapter 5, December 26 (page 131 in my copy).

A neighbor gave it to me raving about how good it was, but it didn't grab me at all. I find that often happens when I read a book that has been translated into English.
I thought it was a good translation, but think I know what you mean about translations, in general - sometimes the language can sound a bit stilted or awkward in places. I find that the further along I read in a translated book, the less of a problem it becomes.

Dissolution by C.J. Sansom 3.5/5

Not as good as I thought it would be, but not a disappointment either. I can't put my finger on exactly why, the mystery was interesting, the era well represented, but I think the characters could have been more rounded out. Ah well, it's his first, so I am hoping for more in the rest of the trilogy.

Ender's Game - I was recommended Ender's Game by _____. I have to say that this is different and I don't know if the ending is a shock as I've been told by many people. I did enjoy but it took me a while to get going. :star3:

Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly - I enjoy this book a lot and it had me guessing all the way to the end and like so many of Connelly's book, he gives you clue and it all comes together at the end very well. :star5:

Funerals are Fatal by Agatha Christie. This was my least favorite poirot mystery. Clues are stupid and poirot is not even major character in this story.

James Joyce - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Volsungs Saga
De Reis van de Heilige Brandaan (The travels of the holy Brendan)

The Reversal - Michael Connelly

It wasn't his best work and it wasn't his worst one. There were a couple of chapters in the middle that were just great and I was reading so late that I wanna keep going. I woke up early and read them the next morning. I really like Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller is really growing on me and he can hold his own against Bosch. It's another enjoyable read from Connelly. :star4:

Back