• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Javier Marías, All Souls. Meh. :star3:, and those three are mostly from a couple of admittedly really good Sterne-like scenes.

Juggernaut by Adam Baker - 4.5/5. Incredibly genre-aware action-horror novel with strong characterisations, fastidious research, and hints of a wider mthos lurking in the background. Baker knows his stuff, indeed.

Bloodland by Alan Glynn. Excellent. An investigative reporter, corporate greed, mysterious helicopter crash, crime, collusion, coverup, all entwined in about half a dozen deftly handled sub-plots involving numerous well-drawn characters. Two predecessor novels, Winterland and Limitless, are also probably worth looking into.
:star5:

The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes.

I enjoyed the epic scope of it, but the ending was a bit too 'happily ever after' for my taste.

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. A very nice adaptation of a fairy tale set into homesteading Alaska of the 1920's. Bitter-sweet, as in the original fairy tale.

To Pontalba: Only three stars for Way Station? That book is a all-time sci-fi classic. Also Simak's City is a classic that should be read by sci-fi fans.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

I agree, it is a classic, and should be read by fans of the genre. For me though, it was a bit dated, and perhaps a bit dry for my taste. I came very close to rating it 4/5, but couldn't quite manage it. I have City on the shelf, and will get to it. :)

I just finished Oya Baydar's The Lost Words. It's ambitious and for the most part manages to live up to its ambitions; set among "deserters from life", ranging from Kurdish terrorists/freedom fighters (depending on who you talk to) in Eastern Turkey to a traumatized Turk hiding on an island off the Norwegian coast since it's one place terrorism could never reach (oh, the irony - this was written in 2007). Not entirely unlike Erik Fosnes Hansen's brilliant Tales Of Protection in a way, though very different as well; the underpinning question is if we can still believe, in the 21st century, that the pen really is mightier than the sword, that peace is ever possible without retreat - both on a political and a personal level. Beautifully written, too, except for Baydar's annoying habit of switching perspective mid-narration, and the way some characters come across more as genuinely unpleasant than tragically flawed. Solid :star4:, I'd say.

The Monkey's Raincoat - Robert Crais :star4:

The first Crais book I have read and it didn't disappoint. It's classified as a mystery but could be classified as a comedy. Elvis Cole is hilarious and a major smartass.

Back