• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Spammers

David Frame said:
I guess these are the things I miss when I've been looking at the same words for so long - no perspective at all.

Which is why I suggested putting the book aside for a few months minimum...not looking at it, not reading it, not editing it...nothing....and then coming back to it....and also having someone read it out loud to you....you will hear things you can't read....and the other person will read it way differently then you ever would....

Honeybee said:
It's more correct with a z. We English only (relatively) recently adopted the s as well, mostly because the Americans were using a z. But z was first. So in this case, and I don't say this often, they're right.
I'd be interested to find out where you got this information from. As far as I am aware the 's' has always been the correct English spelling and 'z' is an American term.

What would you say would be the correct 'British English' spelling of the following then? Would you say they have all been changed recently?

agonize/agonise
analyze/analyse
apologize/apologise
ionization/ionisation
organize/organise
oxidize/oxidise
realize/realise

As I understand it, 'z' is the original English spelling of many of these words - but by 'original' I mean hundreds of years ago. Certainly for the last couple of centuries the 's' spelling has been the widely accepted one in the UK. The 'z' spelling stayed with America because it was taken over with the Pilgrim fathers in the 1600s (er, or whenever it was) as that was the common spelling in the UK then. So when Honeybee says that the English only 'relatively recently' adopted the s, well: 'relatively recently' in geological terms perhaps...

Shade said:
As I understand it, 'z' is the original English spelling of many of these words - but by 'original' I mean hundreds of years ago. Certainly for the last couple of centuries the 's' spelling has been the widely accepted one in the UK. The 'z' spelling stayed with America because it was taken over with the Pilgrim fathers in the 1600s (er, or whenever it was) as that was the common spelling in the UK then. So when Honeybee says that the English only 'relatively recently' adopted the s, well: 'relatively recently' in geological terms perhaps...
Interesting - can I ask where you found that information. I'm looking at texts on the History of the English Language but can't find a mention of that.

I found this in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary:

-ize and -ise spellings

Where verbs can be spelled with either an -ize or -ise ending the two spellings are given as parallel forms: agonize or agonise

Either spelling may be used. The form -ize has been in use in English since the 16th century; although it is widely used in American English, it is not an Americanism. The alternative spelling -ise is used particularly in British English.

It's not terribly helpful with the origins though. Personally I wouldn't class something that possibly changed in the 1600's recent, but maybe thats just me.

As for the Beer Mat/beermat issue, this is again taken from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary:

Noun compounds: there are no hard and fast rules to determine the use of one-word, two-word, or hyphenated forms (except when used to show grammaticalfunction: see below): whether, for example, to write airstream, air-stream, orair stream. All three forms are found in use in standard texts. However, the evidence of modern English indicates a tendency towards avoiding hyphenation in general, showing a preference for airstream rather than air-stream and for air raid rather than air-raid. There is an additional tendency forthe form to be one word in US English and two words in British English, e.g.coffee pot tends to be the more common form in British English, while coffeepot tends to be more common in US English.

:)

Honeybee said:
It's more correct with a z. We English only (relatively) recently adopted the s as well, mostly because the Americans were using a z. But z was first. So in this case, and I don't say this often, they're right.

We're also right about which side of the vehicle the steering wheel should be on, what side of the road to drive on, and in choosing not to use the metric system. :cool: :p :p

Stewart said:
I promise that when I finish my novel I will never post a link to it. :)

Of course, if somebody called Yolanda turns up and says you should try a novel by some guy called Stewart which you can buy from Amazon at this link then I'd obviously have no control over that.
I think Stewarts Big Books of Horror Fun would make a great website! www.stewartsbigbooksofhorrorfun.com... great stuff :cool:

I go to work for eight hours and come back to find out all of you had fun without me... I should play hookey more often.

Welcome new writter!!! :cool: (laughing silently)

SFG75 said:
...and in choosing not to use the metric system. :cool: :p :p

I don't know about that. I'm down with the steering wheel and all, but the metric system? Think about how much easier it is than trying to figure out how many inches in a mile. I'd be thrilled if we adopted metric. We even use it in certain industries here. For example, most drug dosing calculations are done in metric.

Ah ha! Some bad punning. Bravo!

It'll cause all sort of annoying moments when metriculation comes into effect as you'll no longer be able to put your foot in your mouth or, as I like to say twelve inches in your mouth. :rolleyes:

Centimetres just doesn't have the same effect.

Shade said:
It was still more common to use z at the end of the 19th century. Throughout the 20th and 21st though, the s has become more prevalent. Personally, I prefer the s.

Honeybee said:
It was still more common to use z at the end of the 19th century. Throughout the 20th and 21st though, the s has become more prevalent. Personally, I prefer the s.
Honeybee - Can I again ask where you are getting this information from? :)

To be honest I can't remember! It's stuff I have to know because I'm an editor – if I'm going to be correcting other people's work I have to know my stuff. So it'll have come from various books, courses and editorial discussions over the years.

leckert said:
I have only three friends: Jenno-whats-her-name-spamzilla, SirMyk, and MotoKid. I have never met them! They do make me cringe frequently, though.

I realized I have made a gross error. I tragically left my dear friend Ronny off of this list.

I am terribly sorry, Ronny, dear! You are definitely on my list of good friends that I have made in this forum.

Please forgive me.

Ice said:
Honeybee - Can I again ask where you are getting this information from? :)

Honeybee said:
To be honest I can't remember! It's stuff I have to know because I'm an editor – if I'm going to be correcting other people's work I have to know my stuff. So it'll have come from various books, courses and editorial discussions over the years.
I sense an epic battle of literary knowledge approaching.

leckert said:
I realized I have made a gross error. I tragically left my dear friend Ronny off of this list.

I am terribly sorry, Ronny, dear! You are definitely on my list of good friends that I have made in this forum.

Please forgive me.
So why is it you are having me stationed at her house with shovel in hand? Should I venture back to my own home?

sirmyk said:
So why is it you are having me stationed at her house with shovel in hand? Should I venture back to my own home?

Well, now you have blown any element of surprise.

you had to get back under Jenn's bed, anyway!

sirmyk said:
I sense an epic battle of literary knowledge approaching.
:D No chance - I won't argue a point unless i'm absolutely sure I'm correct. In this case, all I can say is that this is something I have not personally come across and was wondering if anyone could provide documented proof of this.

Back