• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teaser Trailer For Books

Someone said put up or shut up? Ok, I will put up.

Women who gain and betrayed my trust. Someone dying an early 52. Someone shoved down a flight of stairs. A first kiss under the clouds, and a tear wiped away over pepperoni pizza.

- Yes, I can post this kind of dissertation but can this simplicity
really grab people? Perhaps. Are these very vivid descriptions
seperate and devoid from any other familiarity in literature? Doubtful.
Most importantly, does this kind of set up satisfy me? Absolutely not.

My initial thread starter invites everyone into my world, for those interested by all means they are welcome to ask for more.
My way, via e-mail message to Manuscriptx@yahoo.com

I find it interesting and funny some who seem to go out of their way
with pointing out grammatical errors in an internet message discussion.

Heaven forbid their precious souls should enter AOL and other
internet chat rooms and see routine overuse of abbreviation.

manuscriptx said:
I find it interesting and funny some who seem to go out of their way
with pointing out grammatical errors in an internet message discussion.

Why do you find it interesting? You are posting on a forum about books where one would expect the level of English to be of a higher standard. And, furthermore, you have lodged yourself in the Writers' Showcase section which, to an even greater degree, places a healthy expectation on exchanges.

Heaven forbid their precious souls should enter AOL and other
internet chat rooms and see routine overuse of abbreviation.

You see, that's the difference. In chatrooms (AOL or othewise) the level of exchange is reduced to text speak and '1337' because people are typing fast into a window (I'll never understand why, but it happens.) This, by definition, is a discussion forum and therefore is not a chatroom. On a discussion forum there's no real emphasis on getting messages across quickly so you have more time to measure up your response, proofread it, and submit. I don't see your comparison between chatrooms and forums, unless you mean they both get numpties popping along every now and then.

Writing Perspectives

I will submit for the purposes of discussion, some merely see what they want to see, with respect to the perspectives people have on writing.

Wether it is short sightedness, ignorance, or plain stupidity, I believe it is far be it for me or anyone to offer what I think is feeble critique of internet linguistics, mainly because as I said circumstances, perspectives and the ability to get a point across to an audience is far paramount.

For all authors, particularly amateurs like myself, the perspective should be the same. Wether it's mere description, synopsis or actual rough draft text, there should be no need for grammatical perfection.

Do the words and phrases coalesce? Is it exceptional?
That focus is what should matter most.

I see it did not take long, nor did I have to expose much to gain attention from some who offer helpful suggestions and impudents with their ignorable bunk. Nevertheless, as I said before, I welcome it all.

Stewart said:
And if the English is as bad as we've seen so far, then nobody is going to steal it anyway.
Stewart! I thought I was bad, but you took the cake. Can I have a slice?
Stewart said:
I like you. You are like background noise. :)
Oh, yeah, he is like background noise...stuff you have to listen to but really don't care about. ^^

sirmyk said:
And although I am capable of sitting in a helicopter pilot chair, there is still the possibility I might fly it upside-down into someone's barn.
Have you tried it yet? It's loads of fun! :)

manuscriptx said:
...impudents with their ignorable bunk. Nevertheless, as I said before, I welcome it all.
Good, because you're going to see a lot of it either sooner or later. Wait. Will you be welcoming the impudents' ignorable bunk if you ignore it or are you just saying that to make a point that you will never actually fulfill.

manuscriptx said:
Wether it is short sightedness, ignorance, or plain stupidity, I believe it is far be it for me or anyone to offer what I think is feeble critique of internet linguistics, mainly because as I said circumstances, perspectives and the ability to get a point across to an audience is far paramount.
This is like one of those Highlights magazines, where one must find how many things are wrong with the picture on the back cover.

Anyone want to take a stab at the quoted sentence above?

sirmyk said:
This is like one of those Highlights magazines, where one must find how many things are wrong with the picture on the back cover.

I agree, 'tis like watching a train crash in slow motion. Or someone attempting to escape from a tar pit of their own digging, by using a ladder made out of molten tar.

It is unfortunate really that this has become about a woeful lack of command of grammar (or, indeed, coherent English... I'm assuming English is what it's supposed to be, by the way). Because good English usage isn't good writing, it's merely the starting point. Like simply being able to hit the right notes on a piano. If you can't do that, there's no way anyone will want to hear you play. (Even a jazz/honky tonk player knows how to hit the right notes - they may simply decide not to). Apologies for all the piano metaphors, by the way. :)

Maybe Manuscriptx would be better off being Canvasx or Sculpturex. In the world of modern art it is much harder to tell if someone is an innovative genius or merely lacking in basic technique. Unfortunately, in the world of writing, it is usually glaringly obvious.

Sorry, that's as constructive as I feel this morning.

I'm never sure if Stewart is serious in his posts. Or if he's semi-serious, but also hoping to get a laugh out of us. Or something like that anyway. Can you enlighten us (or me, as the case may be)?

Having just read the opening post, I'm not sure what all of the fuss is about. Fair enough, this: "It has only one beginning. No friend or personal relation." may not be classed as two seperate sentences, but it is one person's writing style. Is there something that I've missed? I only skimmed through.

kirsty said:
Having just read the opening post, I'm not sure what all of the fuss is about. Fair enough, this: "It has only one beginning. No friend or personal relation." may not be classed as two seperate sentences, but it is one person's writing style. Is there something that I've missed? I only skimmed through.

There are in fact a lot of errors, both grammatical and syntactical and in terms of general coherence, but that's not what keeps me coming back to this thread when I should be getting a life. No, what troubles me is that we've spent weeks talking about this supposed literary masterpiece yet the author won't even post a whole sample page of it for us to read. Like certain British heavyweight boxers, he talks a big fight, but when it actually comes to the crunch he finds excuses to stay out of the ring.

I seem to have moved from piano to sport. :rolleyes:

"Car wreck" is a good analogy, but only if the driver is a Shakespeare enthusiast with a frog stuck in his throat.

Ask and ye shall recieve.

To the person who says this :

' he talks a big game, but does not post a larger sample for us to read '

- must not read too well, comprehend too well or is just a genuinely dense individual. I will concede a point that may be made in the age of convenience asking those to simply reread my initial thread starter where I clearly state interested persons are invited to e-mail me at the perscribed address, is an insurmountable proposition given short attention spans.

In the end, I suppose I expect too much from them. Perhaps these are the same who so aptly like to criticize my grammatical errors typing posts inside an internet discussion board.

Dense? Yay, as osmium. But also very choosy as to how widely I dispense my email address. The convenience of forums is that they allow communication without making this necessary.

Yeah, I really don't want every Average Joe out there to know my email or they might figure out all kinds of things.

Car wreck isn't enough for this. If we saw more, then I could give an appropriate analogy, but, alas, I cannot, and therefore am subdued into a solemn pit where all I can do is watch and read others' posts while adding my own useless opinions. :)

GreenKnight said:
Dense? Yay, as osmium. But also very choosy as to how widely I dispense my email address. The convenience of forums is that they allow communication without making this necessary.
GreenKnight, you are another who uses words that are too big for me to understand, and ones that I am too lazy to look up. What does 'osmium' mean anyway?

Vespertillo, what browser do you use?

If you use FireFox, you may be interested in this. It saves you the trouble, God forbid, of having to go to a dictionary. ;)

Vespertilio91 said:
GreenKnight, you are another who uses words that are too big for me to understand, and ones that I am too lazy to look up. What does 'osmium' mean anyway?

C'mon Vesper, you used etiolated in one of your poems - I had to look that up :D

Vespertilio91 said:
another who uses words that are too big for me to understand, and ones that I am too lazy to look up.
Some members use words even they don't understand. See below:

manuscriptx said:
... I will concede a point that may be made in the age of convenience asking those to simply reread my initial thread starter where I clearly state interested persons are invited to e-mail me at the perscribed address, is an insurmountable proposition given short attention spans.
Who the tuck falks like this? I thought E/A/Poe died...

Back