• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you pay for gas?

Motokid said:

I could live with that!

How about a Hybrid Motorcycle runs on petrodiesel, biodiesel and kerosene fuel and gets 180 Miles Per Gallon?

hybrid.jpg

The American manufacturer eCycle is getting ready to start testing their economical hybrid motorcycle. The fuel injected 219 cc engine runs on petrodiesel, biodiesel and kerosene fuel.

eCycle claim a 180 miles to the gallon average (76 kilometers per liter), with a top speed of 80 miles per hour and 0 - 60 mph in 6 seconds. For starting and cruising, the motorcycle uses an electrical engine.

The reasonably high acceleration is due to the electrical engine. Once you've reached your cruising speed, the eCycle switches over to fuel injection.

This might not win the MotoGP, but it's a good start from those that use a motorcycle in town.

The information come from an old blog and I have been unable to verify it on ecycle's site, but it sure sounds interesting enough.

This is the latest from ecycle: http://www.ecycle.com/PressReleases/Hybrid PR 5 25.pdf

That ecycle could be one of the ugliest motorcycles I've seen since some of the BMW's I last saw....

They need to fix the area that is usually the gas tank....and the tail section needs some work.....

but the concept is cool......

On average..gas is $3.25 to $3.35 per gallon...have seen one station at $3.65 per gallon...that's pretty much stayed the same from friday afternoon through today....

15 gallons into my truck......ooopphhhhh...do the math :( :( :( :mad:

[/QUOTE]... and stillilearn...salad oil is not exactly biodiesel... to be classified as biodiesel there are a few manufacturing steps to go through....there's a FAQ section in that website that'll answer that question better than I can....

go here: http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/biodiesel_basics/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, Motokid! "methyl esters" sounds kinda like an abscure reference to somebody's maiden aunts. :D

Aren't you all glad you're not tooling around in a Hummer? I feel silly enough slopping that stuff into my big ol' Jeep.

I love the reasoning that we Americans should grin and bear it simply because you Euros are paying a higher rate for gas as it is. To me, I see two problems with this: (a)Many Euro nations have very developed public transportation systems; (b)Wages for people must be higher than the American pay of say- $6.00 an hour with no benefits. I could be wrong about the latter point, but every time I hear some pundit give this excuse, I just shake my head.

You know things are bad when I go on a long ride, park next to an oil disposal tank behind a restaurant when I stop for lunch, and start thinking how things might be different if my bike ran on that crap. Like I’m just going to pull out a hose and dump that stuff right in the old fuel tank and drive away on it. This is bad, very bad.

SFG75 said:
I love the reasoning that we Americans should grin and bear it simply because you Euros are paying a higher rate for gas as it is. To me, I see two problems with this: (a)Many Euro nations have very developed public transportation systems; (b)Wages for people must be higher than the American pay of say- $6.00 an hour with no benefits. I could be wrong about the latter point, but every time I hear some pundit give this excuse, I just shake my head.

What it boils down to is jealousy. :D

America has what is known as Purchasing Power, because we spend more on crude than the GNP of most European nations. That is why our prices have traditionally been much lower than theirs. We buy in volume.

leckert said:
What it boils down to is jealousy. :D

America has what is known as Purchasing Power, because we spend more on crude than the GNP of most European nations. That is why our prices have traditionally been much lower than theirs. We buy in volume.

Actually, I believe it's because European nations have more a lot more tax on their fuel. I believe it helps pay for things like public transportation.

So...I have not seen gas prices rise since Friday September 2nd. I've read where at least a few of the refinery's down in the Gulf region are back up and running with the remaining ones scheduled to be running again in the very near future. I believe I also read where the major pipelines are beginning to come back to life as well......so where's the friggin' slow, but steady drop in gas prices????? Should we be seeing a few pennies fall off those gallons of liquid gold?

Motokid said:
so where's the friggin' slow, but steady drop in gas prices????? Should we be seeing a few pennies fall off those gallons of liquid gold?

That's a good question. :confused:

Robert said:
It should a matter of time. The only real question should be how low will they go?

I see no reason why prices should not dip back below $3.00 per gallon....at the very least....

Over there, perhaps - I really don't see prices going down over here. We're at 1.55 euro a litre now (which equals just about $2 - $8 a gallon (4 ltr) here!)

Martin said:
Over there, perhaps - I really don't see prices going down over here. We're at 1.55 euro a litre now (which equals just about $2 - $8 a gallon (4 ltr) here!)

So how much of that is taxes?

Back