• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What gives?

What gives?

• I lurk, don't post

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I visit and post

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I check in once in awhile

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I don't like the site for my own reasons

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I only joined to post writing, that's about it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would participate in a book of the month reading

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is a hard place to breake "in" to

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • This forum is about books?

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ham not...actually, you can just call me spamlet:D

No, no....I think ham is the right word. ;)

ham.jpg

I really wish I knew why I no longer post here. I used to love this place, and can think of no reason why that should have changed. Of course, I did join one of the other forums that were created by members of this forum (i.e. CDA and Moto), and have found that all of my favourite posters and favourite subjects are adequately discussed at that forum, but I don't think that was the reason... I agree with Pontalba that at the time when I steered away from posting here, there was a lot of bitchiness and nastiness, but I don't think that was the reason, either. I guess real life kind of got in the way a little...

But also, regarding the BOTM, I initially joined this forum because I was reading Lolita, which just happened to be the BOTM choice at the time I joined. The discussion was, to put it mildly, lengthy and stimulating, something which the majority of BOTM since Lolita, haven't. Maybe it's that.

Oh, and I don't read as much as I did, but I do still like to read about books - still, that kind of hinders the discussion aspect of the forum.

All that said, I don't rule out returning to be an active member of BAR in the future. And I will do my best to catch up with the 20 pages of posts, since my last visit.

I don't take direction very well, but I'll happily drop by every once in a while so long as nobody yells at me. There's plenty of good book talk taking place at TFS and Moto lets you spam all you want at THH, so we do have choices ya know. ;)

Darren, are you encouraging people like me to post here again? I don't know you well enough to make an educated guess.

For what it's worth, I LOVED THIS FORUM!

The traffic for this thread was tremendous, and I felt like I must contribute. I have, after all, spent a substantial amount of energy, enthusiasm and bad jokes on this site that it remains a fond memory.

I still have you in my Favourites.

ds

But look at me! I am new and I am practically killed. Yeah, I love reactions and want to get reaction but I don't want to be overwhelmed. It is such awkward! I just can't take it. I am killed! It is unfairy.

Too bad other posters can't be as sensitive to your feelings as you are to theirs. Try a little kindness now and then. You may get a reaction to that.

For what it's worth, I LOVED THIS FORUM!

The traffic for this thread was tremendous, and I felt like I must contribute. I have, after all, spent a substantial amount of energy, enthusiasm and bad jokes on this site that it remains a fond memory.

I still have you in my Favourites.

ds

Hello, donny! I never see you around anywhere and I miss you! Where are you hanging out now? My guess is that you're kinda busy in your spare time nowadays. ;)

Dinosaur sightings?

All that said, I don't rule out returning to be an active member of BAR in the future. And I will do my best to catch up with the 20 pages of posts, since my last visit.

Hiya, steffee! This is all kinda interesting, isn't it? Folks are popping in who made thousands of posts in the past, but who then (sorta like the dinosaurs) almost instantly disappeared.

If all of a sudden a person or persons began to notice the reappearance of dinosaurs, wouldn't they want to ask these questions?

Why were they here in the first place?

Why did they disappear - and where did they go?

and (perhaps most interestingly)

Why are they popping back up all of a sudden?

Oh!

Not to mention: Will they be able to survive in the present climate - and are they even welcome here anymore?

Hello, donny! I never see you around anywhere and I miss you! Where are you hanging out now? My guess is that you're kinda busy in your spare time nowadays. ;)
Hey Still! I'm around - I drop by quite frequently in fact, but don't post. I tried to be active again once, but ran out of stamina. :D

I'd like a stab at answering your questions, from my perspective:

Why were they here in the first place?
I loved the atmosphere, and the people. They were friendly, engaging, intelligent, helpful and bloody funny. I learnt a lot of things here, and perhaps most importantly, opened my mind and made me a more varied reader. I'm interested in politics now, for goodness sakes!

Why did they disappear - and where did they go?
I went dormant... the atmosphere changed. But I think even the most idyllic and utopian forums will experience a change of guard... I brought it up here.

I wanted to make sure I could still log in. :D

Not to mention: Will they be able to survive in the present climate - and are they even welcome here anymore?
Sure they would - we would just be treated like newbies again. :)

ds

Hiya, steffee!
Hiya Still!

and (perhaps most interestingly)

Hmmm. Good point. Because if a former member really did not visit this site anymore, how did they just happen to stumble upon this thread. As for me, it was a pure coincidence. But you're right, myself and others have reappeared in this thread to state our reasons for not visiting BAR anymore.

Do you post here regularly these days, Still?

Oh, well I dunno. Times change, true... but I think a genuine poster will always be made welcome here (and in any forum, otherwise what's the point of it at all? And if not, well, why should they care anyway. I would hope that people here would re-accept me, if I should resume posting on a large scale, and that I would at least have some 'friends' here that would 'stick up' for me, should I need it. That's a hypothetical I, of course, and the same goes for any former poster of this forum.

And we've seen posters here disappear off for long periods, before returning.

DS - nice answers. :D

meh is just trying to join in - and probably even to be helpful - after a fashion. And you gotta admit that his English is way better than my/your/our Iranian, so it is kinda unfairy to get on his case, CDA. :)

meh is just trying to join in - and probably even to be helpful - after a fashion. And you gotta admit that his English is way better than my/your/our Iranian, so it is kinda unfairy to get on his case, CDA. :)

What would be unfairy is for me to go to an Iranian site.

I think the main problem with the site is the lack of navel gazing and whining. Regular threads complaining about the place would really help improve things. Also, there should be more silly hats.

Should I fill 'er up?

I'm a bit of both. Popped back this time because a gay ghost reminded me all of your existence and the first thing I see is a thread whining about the state of the forum. Just like always.

Incidentally, to all the people claiming that you just happened to show up and you're not lurking, honest, the moderators can still see that you're online when you're set to invisible mode. Don't you think that maybe it's time to move on?

Should I fill 'er up?

I'm a bit of both. Popped back this time because a gay ghost reminded me all of your existence and the first thing I see is a thread whining about the state of the forum. Just like always.

Incidentally, to all the people claiming that you just happened to show up and you're not lurking, honest, the moderators can still see that you're online when you're set to invisible mode. Don't you think that maybe it's time to move on?

Or better yet, don a silly hat and tell us what you're reading;)

I visit the forum quite often but hardly ever log in. I mostly just read the threads and log in if I have something to say. Well, I've been a member for over a year and written 18 posts so I guess I don't have a lot to say. But that's just me, it's not about this forum. And I've tried to be more active but I find it really difficult to feel like being part of the conversation. Maybe that's because there are almost just the certain people who post anything so it's hard to try to be a part of that. I don't know but I'll try to post more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back